PDA

View Full Version : Need your help with Motorcycles...

Pages : 1 [2]

STI4Life06
12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Your going to need "Pig Spit" detail spray for the engine area, well known product among the Bikers & Bike Shops.

Yes as I'm sure your aware & others have stated...never dress the tires.:xyxthumbs:

My neighbor puts shoe polish on his Harley tires. kind of a dull finish but it at least dresses the tires without slipperiness.

OCDetails
12-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Do many bikes, you need these:

Pimp Stixxx Motorcycle Detailing Motorcycle Polishing Tools Microfiber Towels Microfiber Cloths Biker Clothing Motorcycle Apparel (http://www.pimpstixxx.com/product.htm)

Very versatile and you'll find a lot of uses for them on cars as well. They're available under a more family-friendly name somewhereorother, the name escapes me now.

Absolutely!! In fact, I don't know what I would do without these amazing little tools. I use them for everything from motorcycles to engine detailing. They can be used to pick crud out of the seams on consoles, clean vents, final detail on emblems and body seams, and a hundred other things. These are absolutely essential tools if you are going to be doing many motorcycles, but you'll be surprised to find out how many other uses they have. I actually came into this thread to offer the exact same advice as above. Well spoken, sir!

OCDetails
12-02-2010, 12:40 PM
As for tire shine, I don't do anything that comes near the tread. I do like to use a little on the sidewalls, but once it passes the line that turns into tread, don't use a thing. Especially if you know your rider likes to lean into the turns. Check their pegs and you'll know what kind of riding they do. If they have scraped pegs, then I would just wipe the tires down and don't put anything on them that would potentially cause the bike to slip out from under them. The tires are the only safety feature a bike has and you don't want to compromise them with greasy tire shine.

bgreer
01-13-2011, 06:08 PM
No pressure wash...wash mit and and a hose only...use a leaf blower to dry and blow all the water out of all the nuks and crannys...neverdull cotton wad polish on the chrome where there may be some rust showing. I like Protect All for paint and chrome...be especially carefull with Aluminum..if you scrub it with an abrasive you can remove the clear coat, an you'll be tempted because these are usually the problem areas of a bike...big difference between billet alum and cast. I can take a cast wheel, on the bike, strip it, sand all the machine grooves out and polish to a chrome finish....but...it takes about 12 hour per wheel, and gets pricey...got a bunch of videos on how to do this if anyones interested

SuperSport
01-13-2011, 06:21 PM
If the bike is chain driven and you decide to clean the chain, make sure to relube it. There is chain wax and chain oils made for this. Other then that, what everyone else has said is pretty much dead on.

RookieG
02-13-2011, 02:18 PM
My first post! I'm a long time novice hand detailer just stepping up to a PC and related products. I purchased a detailing kit a couple years ago when I bought my Infiniti G37S and have products such as Merzerna FP2, Natty's paste wax, etc. The paint is in excellent condition and only under certain lighting conditions are hairline scratches visible to me. I hoping the PC and the products I have will make it easier and correct these minor imperfections. Now on to my main reason for the post in this thread.
I also have a Yamaha FZ1 motorcycle with a black powder coated frame. I just notice some visible scratches on the swingarm behind my muffler (possibly done when dealer replaced tire). Is there any difference in addressing powder coat correction? Thx.