PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Products--Like Glazes w/ waxes-Sealants

Pages : [1] 2

ShineTimeDetail
10-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I was sitting here thinking like I always do LOL and was wondering what would happen it I mixed oh say like a quarter bottle of glaze with 3/4 bottle of wax or a sealant? I was thinking at first it would cut down time, But then I just figured rather than cutting down time it would to me seem like it would have more of a shine. Has anyone ever mixed and matched supplies? Would it cut down the protection of the wax or sealant?

BobbyG
10-27-2010, 11:29 AM
While I'm not a chemist or expert on the subject, I do know that a great deal of thought, planning and testing is done before any product is ready for release.

Products are designed to target specific tasks or problems and when their chemistry is altered the end result will be more than likely less than satisfactory.

You certainly can try it but the final result may be a bit different than you expected.

TornadoRed
10-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Griot's suggests that you try it. They say their One Step Sealant is a mix of Machine Polish 3 and their Paint Sealant.

From the book that came with my ROP...

"You can mix our Best of Show Wax and Machine Polish 3 to create your own custom polish if you need a polish finer than Machine Polish 3. Start with 80% Wax and 20% Polish. Play around and find which combination works for you."

TornadoRed
10-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Speaking of Griot's...
You can mix their wax and polish or mix their sealant and polish but you can't mix their wax and sealant. In fact they say you shouldn't put their wax (Best of Show or Carnuba Stick) over their sealant and recommend the spray on wax over the sealant.

Kurt_s
10-27-2010, 12:13 PM
I was sitting here thinking like I always do LOL and was wondering what would happen it I mixed oh say like a quarter bottle of glaze with 3/4 bottle of wax or a sealant? I was thinking at first it would cut down time, But then I just figured rather than cutting down time it would to me seem like it would have more of a shine. Has anyone ever mixed and matched supplies? Would it cut down the protection of the wax or sealant?

When you mention glaze, do you mean something like WG Finishing Glaze which is a more of a light polish or Megs Showcare #7 which I think of as a true glaze that adds gloss and fills minor defects without abrasives.

Griot's suggests that you try it. They say their One Step Sealant is a mix of Machine Polish 3 and their Paint Sealant.

From the book that came with my ROP...

"You can mix our Best of Show Wax and Machine Polish 3 to create your own custom polish if you need a polish finer than Machine Polish 3. Start with 80% Wax and 20% Polish. Play around and find which combination works for you."

The base used for BOSW, Sealant and Machine Polish 3 may be compatible with each other and safely dilute the abrasive concentration. Does GG mention how protective the final mix would be?

Speaking of Griot's...
You can mix their wax and polish or mix their sealant and polish but you can't mix their wax and sealant. In fact they say you shouldn't put their wax (Best of Show or Carnuba Stick) over their sealant and recommend the spray on wax over the sealant.

Nice to know. Thanks!

WestEnd
10-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Griot's is all mixed up!

ScottB
10-27-2010, 04:20 PM
I am not keen on mixing products ...

Dubbin1
10-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Rob T
10-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I am not keen on mixing products ...

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

:iagree:

TornadoRed
10-27-2010, 11:13 PM
If it was a bad idea we wouldn't have any AIOs, Dodo Juice wouldn't have pro versions of their waxes with sealant, and Poorboy's would have half the products they have now. Heck, Poorboy's even have a soap with wax in it. So somebody thinks mixing is a good idea.
If I had enough time, money, and cars to play with I think it would be fun to try different things. You might hit on something special. At some point you'd have to go beyond just mixing a little of this and a little of that and work in some actual chemistry.

Dubbin1
10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
If it was a bad idea we wouldn't have any AIOs, Dodo Juice wouldn't have pro versions of their waxes with sealant, and Poorboy's would have half the products they have now. Heck, Poorboy's even have a soap with wax in it. So somebody thinks mixing is a good idea.
If I had enough time, money, and cars to play with I think it would be fun to try different things. You might hit on something special. At some point you'd have to go beyond just mixing a little of this and a little of that and work in some actual chemistry.

Those products are all made with what they do in mind. Its not like they just decided one day to mix stuff together, toss it in a bottle and sell it. There is a big difference from that and me taking some pinnacle shampoo and liquid wax and mixing it together.

Kurt_s
10-28-2010, 12:15 AM

Good points about companies building product lines. In the case of Griot's, they may use the same chemical base which might allow the mixing to work. If you are making your own products, you can work with compatible chemicals too.

At issue is when you mix products from different companies that could be dangerous when mixed. You also have to remember that manufacturers may change the formulation or chemical supplier from time to time, which could also affect the combination.

I personally try not to mix chemicals without knowing what will happen, because I don't want to blow stuff up, burn down the house or cause a chemical cloud to spread over the neighborhood. That may sound funny but think what happens when you mix common household cleaners containing ammonia and chlorine bleach. A little hint, don't breathe the fumes.

TornadoRed
10-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Those products are all made with what they do in mind. Its not like they just decided one day to mix stuff together, toss it in a bottle and sell it. There is a big difference from that and me taking some pinnacle shampoo and liquid wax and mixing it together.

I agree.
I was just splitting hairs about it being a bad idea. The idea alone is not a bad one. It's the execution of the idea where it could go bad.

vet
10-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I have enough trouble trying to decide which product to use, let alone what mixing them would do. On the other hand, that's how new things get developed. I'm not a chemist, so I don't mess with it. With my luck, it would shine like heck until the paint fell off, and the fenders disintegrated a week later.

Mike Phillips
10-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Threads like this come up once in a while and my comments are that when I worked as an outside Sales Rep/Trainer for Meguiar's calling on body shops, detail shops and dealerships I would often meet guys that had their own "Secret Sauce" which would be a combination of products they like only mixed together.

Sometimes they would tell me what they were mixing together and sometimes they would keep it a secret. The thing I noticed when they would tell me what was mixed together and what their purpose for the product was is that that product already existed in a single formula they just weren't aware of the product.

Now this would be back before the Internet became public and information on mass products became available at the click of a mouse via a discussion forum. Even with the Internet and discussion forums like this available, it only provides information to detailers that hang out on discussion forums.

That's why I always say that detailers that hang out on detailing discussion forums tend and trend to know more than detailers that don't hang out on detailing discussion forums because that have all the available information on a multitude of products.

Head knowledge is a powerful thing...

I'm not a big fan of mixing, there's more to creating a stable formula then adding one product to another but I don't have anything against anyone that does want to play around with mixing products... it's their dime...

:)