PDA

View Full Version : FK 1000P Problem Help Please!

Pages : [1] 2

sydster
10-27-2010, 03:50 AM
Hi Guys! Got a tin of FK 1000p several months ago and decided to use it last week on my car, as I opened the tin the wax cracking all over (which I know is normal) all hard and very very dry and as I tried to rub my Megs applicator on the wax to apply it on my car but nothing would happen to the wax, it seems like it would not transfer to the applicator pad, I also tried putting the whole pad in the tin and tried to give it a little spin with my hand but still nothing on the pad. Does this happen to any of you? Am i doing anything wrong? Is there a better way or technique to apply this wax? Or I just got a bad tin?

Any help or comment would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

ironman1982
10-27-2010, 05:46 AM
My tin looked the same way. I'm guessing because it's a "Hi-Temp" Synthetic Wax it stays pretty hard at room temp at least it's harder than any of my other paste waxes. I used a Hair Dryer to heat it up a little and make it more pliable. Just be careful not to get too much on the applicator when doing this...that stuff is a bear to get off if you over-apply!!! :doh: Spread THIN THIN THIN

XB70
10-27-2010, 07:16 AM
I just applied two coats of Finish Kare 1000P on my F250 Powerstroke after claying and polishing with Meguiar's #80 in a 50 F garage. That's fifty degrees.

I used an Nxt Tech Wax foam applicator and experienced absolutely no problems whatsoever. I placed the entire pad in the tin and twisted it around about 720 degrees while applying moderate pressure to the foam pad. Pressure applied with my fingers at the edge of the pad to get at the product under the rim of the tin. I changed position of my fingers on the edge of the pad every 45 degrees of rotation to distribute the 1000P evenly around the edge of the pad.) to pick up the product. I was able to cover 1/4 of the hood before reloading the foam pad.

After letting the 1000P haze for 30 minutes, wipe off with a microfiber towel was pretty easy.

I normally use Meguiar's #21 synthetic sealant as a Last Step Product, so I wasn't looking forward using a foam pad by hand instead of a Dual Action Polisher, but things went easier than I expected. Plus, I don't have to clean wax/sealant out of a dual action finishing pad.

ironman1982
10-27-2010, 07:25 AM
I just applied two coats of Finish Kare 1000P on my F250 Powerstroke after claying and polishing with Meguiar's #80 in a 50 F garage. That's fifty degrees.

I used an Nxt Tech Wax foam applicator and experienced absolutely no problems whatsoever. I placed the entire pad in the tin and twisted it around about 720 degrees while applying moderate pressure to the foam pad. Pressure applied with my fingers at the edge of the pad to get at the product under the rim of the tin. I changed position of my fingers on the edge of the pad every 45 degrees of rotation to distribute the 1000P evenly around the edge of the pad.) to pick up the product. I was able to cover 1/4 of the hood before reloading the foam pad.

After letting the 1000P haze for 30 minutes, wipe off with a microfiber towel was pretty easy.

I normally use Meguiar's #21 synthetic sealant as a Last Step Product, so I wasn't looking forward using a foam pad by hand instead of a Dual Action Polisher, but things went easier than I expected. Plus, I don't have to clean wax/sealant out of a dual action finishing pad.

Wow...wish I got your tin instead of mine! Definitely didn't see any easy application with mine and was exactly like the op's tin. Maybe some Quality Control issues going on. Will have to check lot number and date when I get to the house and post back.

UCD
10-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Try spaying some QD on the foam pad. BTW, I just received and used the FK 1000P and did not have any issues at all. Easy on easy off.

XB70
10-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Try spaying some QD on the foam pad. BTW, I just received and used the FK 1000P and did not have any issues at all. Easy on easy off.

I had a dog spayed once. Easy off!

UCD
10-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I had a dog spayed once. Easy off!
lol sorry meant "Spray"

sydster
10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
My tin looked the same way. I'm guessing because it's a "Hi-Temp" Synthetic Wax it stays pretty hard at room temp at least it's harder than any of my other paste waxes. I used a Hair Dryer to heat it up a little and make it more pliable. Just be careful not to get too much on the applicator when doing this...that stuff is a bear to get off if you over-apply!!! :doh: Spread THIN THIN THIN

Thanks! I guess we got a bad tin, if the others did not have this problem. I emailed FK and I'm waiting for their reply, will update you as soon as I hear from them.

sydster
10-27-2010, 06:39 PM

Thanks! Could you please post a picture of your tin of wax? Just wanted to compare if it the wax looks the same.

sydster
10-27-2010, 06:41 PM

Tried that too, with no luck at all. Thanks anyway.

XB70
10-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks! Could you please post a picture of your tin of wax? Just wanted to compare if it the wax looks the same.

I'll post a picture a few hours. My wax was "cracked" but wiping the foam pad blended the wax back together.

I have another unopened tin to photograph.

When I opened my tin of finish Kare 1000P, it was "cracked" all the way around the tin and there were loose bits of wax. It seemed very dry. I waxed a couple of clear acrylic covers for my Hella 4000 Rally driving lights using (gasp!) a terrycloth towel and noticed bits of crumbly wax on the towel as well as the covers during application. The product did, in fact, seem to be very dry.

My theory says twisting the foam applicator inside the tin while applying pressure generates enough friction and heat to melt the 1000P slightly and get it on the pad. If you reread by previous post, I put my fingers on the edge of the pad as I twisted it in the tin. That means the pressure was applied to a very small area under each of three fingers, generating more friction those small spots.

I bet if you place a foam pad completely inside the tin, apply adequate pressure and twist rapidly, you will load up the pad with 1000P.

The same wax that was crumbly and dry when I "scraped" some of the top with a towel at 70 degrees inside the house spread easily and smoothly using a foam pad at 50 degrees in the garage.

PBoy
10-27-2010, 08:19 PM

that's what I've always done misting with #425, but I don't know if you compromise the protection by dillution

sydster
10-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I'll post a picture a few hours. My wax was "cracked" but wiping the foam pad blended the wax back together.

I have another unopened tin to photograph.

When I opened my tin of finish Kare 1000P, it was "cracked" all the way around the tin and there were loose bits of wax. It seemed very dry. I waxed a couple of clear acrylic covers for my Hella 4000 Rally driving lights using (gasp!) a terrycloth towel and noticed bits of crumbly wax on the towel as well as the covers during application. The product did, in fact, seem to be very dry.

My theory says twisting the foam applicator inside the tin while applying pressure generates enough friction and heat to melt the 1000P slightly and get it on the pad. If you reread by previous post, I put my fingers on the edge of the pad as I twisted it in the tin. That means the pressure was applied to a very small area under each of three fingers, generating more friction those small spots.

I bet if you place a foam pad completely inside the tin, apply adequate pressure and twist rapidly, you will load up the pad with 1000P.

The same wax that was crumbly and dry when I "scraped" some of the top with a towel at 70 degrees inside the house spread easily and smoothly using a foam pad at 50 degrees in the garage.

Tried twisting the whole pad in the tin as well but did not apply much pressure I even ran my fingers on the wax in the tin but it was so dry nothing happened. Looking forward to your pics.

Thanks a lot!

XB70
10-28-2010, 03:44 AM
Tried twisting the whole pad in the tin as well but did not apply much pressure I even ran my fingers on the wax in the tin but it was so dry nothing happened. Looking forward to your pics.

Thanks a lot!

Try PRESSURE. It's free!

Twist the applicator in the tin while applying pressure. That was the point of my post.

Rub foam applicator on bathroom mirror.

Tell me there's no 1000P on your mirror.

Kokopelli
10-28-2010, 04:42 AM
Use some technique like what people do with RubbishBoy's Original Edition homebrew wax. Heat the applicator or the top layer of the wax with a hair dryer or a low temp heat gun. Once you break the outermost hard layer you'll have the chance to reach much softer product under it.