PDA

View Full Version : PB Trim Restorer Varied Results

pfix
10-26-2010, 05:40 PM
I got a chance to use to my new bottle of PB Trim Restorer this weekend on the old hunting truck. I scrubbed all the trim to be treated with ARO full strength prior to application.

PBTR worked fantastic on the bumper trim, grill, door handles, cowl, everything except for the hard plastic factory GM accessory mud flaps that are pretty faded and have a gray appearance now instead of black.

I applied liberally with a foam paint brush, let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes, then buffed with a microfiber towel. It restored the original color upon application when wet but after a short time the faded appearance would come back. Better than before but not what I had expected. I repeated the applications over several hours but there was minimal improvement.

It was starting to get dark and I had my Ultima Tire and Trim out to do the tires and I decided to apply it to the mud flaps over the PBTR. It worked great and the mud flaps look new again, but I am wondering if there was a fault in my application process of the PBTR?

Bunky
10-26-2010, 05:52 PM
It is not unusual for trim products to behave differently on various plastics. The best plan is to have several in your kit.

Dubbin1
10-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I get the same results with PBTR on all hard plastics that are badly faded.

pfix
10-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I get the same results with PBTR on all hard plastics that are badly faded.

The mud flaps were faded much worse than the other trim on the truck, there is no doubt about that. I was surprised at how well the UTT worked over the top of the PBTR. It really brought the mud flaps back to life. The PBTR darkened the plastic, but could not leave a gloss finish. The UTT restored the gloss and finished darkening them up so they look like new again.

I don't think the UTT alone would have achieved this result but the 2 products worked amazingly well as a 1,2 punch

Now I will have to see how long it will last.

Redneckmafia
10-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I have had the same results also.Was told it works great on truck bed covers and is not messy, guess what it worked somewhat and then it rained and the bed sides were a mess.I know use a solvent based product and all of my problems have been solved.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
I have had the same results also.Was told it works great on truck bed covers and is not messy, guess what it worked somewhat and then it rained and the bed sides were a mess.I know use a solvent based product and all of my problems have been solved.
Which solvent based product are you talking about?

CEE DOG
10-26-2010, 09:29 PM
It is not unusual for trim products to behave differently on various plastics. The best plan is to have several in your kit.

Exactly!

I don't think the UTT alone would have achieved this result but the 2 products worked amazingly well as a 1,2 punch

I'm curious about that. If I had to guess I would say if they looked faded after the PBTR and then you applied the UTTG then the UTTG would have done it on its own. That's just my guess though. I am very curious about the durability because logic suggests to me that the PBTR underneath the UTTG will compromise the longevity of the UTTG. Keep us updated on this. I am doing a very similar test with UTTG over PBTR but mine is on that textured bumper material that is very different from the plastic you have here. Should be interesting...

WRAPT C5Z06
10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
IMO, PBTR doesn't do too well on smooth, hard plastic. It does better on porous, textured plastic. So, does UTTG do a better job on smooth, hard plastic?

CEE DOG
10-26-2010, 09:49 PM
UTTG is great on everything I've tried it on.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-26-2010, 09:52 PM
UTTG is great on everything I've tried it on.
Cool. Initially, I thought PB's might be a better *restorer*, while UTTG will restore somewhat, but is more of a durable protectant. However, it seems that UTTG does a great job of restoring trim as well.

Dubbin1
10-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Mark have you not tried UTTG? If not, let me know and I'll pass on the sample that Richard sent me. I liked it so much I ordered a bottle of it today :)

WRAPT C5Z06
10-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Mark have you not tried UTTG? If not, let me know and I'll pass on the sample that Richard sent me. I liked it so much I ordered a bottle of it today :)
That would be great! :)

pfix
11-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Here is a follow up on the PBTR + UTTG on the mud flaps.3 plus weeks have passed since applying the PBTR and the UTTG as a topper and the restored look is fading somewhat.

I washed the truck today and used ARO on the mud flaps to prepare them for an application of UTTG.

My original thoughts were that the PBTR had helped the UTTG achieve the restored/new look I encountered on the last application.

I was wrong.... I applied UTTG to faded flaps and they look like new with only 1 application. I underestimated the UTTG's ability to restore the faded plastic.

Corey, you were right. The UTTG removed and replaced the PBTR.