PDA

View Full Version : My pad cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

TornadoRed
10-24-2010, 04:28 PM
This is nothing new as I got the idea on these forums, but I haven't seen any pictures. I took an old bucket and cut it 5.5" from the bottom. There's probably room for another inch. The Grit Guard is kind of loose but it works.
I fill it up with just enough DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator to reach the top of the Grit Guard (just under a gallon). Run on a low speed for a few seconds with light pressure and it gets the jobs done. It splashes a little due to the Grit Guard not locking in the bucket but not too bad. I didn't want to cut my bucket that locks in the Grit Guard. Spin dry in another bucket.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Photo_Oct_24_3_01_29_PM.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Photo_Oct_24_3_02_05_PM.jpg

Dubbin1
10-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Doesn't look very safe to me. All that splashing around with an open top and a electric tool in your hand scares the crap out of me.

TornadoRed
10-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Doesn't look very safe to me. All that splashing around with an open top and a electric tool in your hand scares the crap out of me.

That crossed my mind. I'll have to rig up a lid of some kind.

cnfowler
10-24-2010, 09:21 PM

Live life on the edge. A little shock here and there will put a little spring back in your step. Heck, it may help you get the job done quicker. :buffing:

Colin

TornadoRed
10-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Live life on the edge. A little shock here and there will put a little spring back in your step. Heck, it may help you get the job done quicker. :buffing:

Colin

It looks like we have a beta tester.

AndrewBall
10-25-2010, 10:17 AM

you do know that the likely hood of splashed water actually causing a problem is pretty low. It can happen, but the chances of it causing it to show him is very low. if anything it will just short out the tool.

i wouldn't be terribly afraid of it, then again i've been laid out by a welder once. Something happened with the grounding strap and it knocked me on my ass.

Dubbin1
10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
you do know that the likely hood of splashed water actually causing a problem is pretty low. It can happen, but the chances of it causing it to show him is very low. if anything it will just short out the tool.

Yes I do know that but I ALWAYS look at safety first.

AndrewBall
10-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Yes I do know that but I ALWAYS look at safety first.

True, just saying. its not as dangerous as people like to make it sound.

That said, a lid/splash guard would be easy to make.

Setec Astronomy
10-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, or a GFCI.

oldmodman
10-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah, or a GFCI.

Exactly. All my garage sockets are GFCI protected and individually breakered.

AndrewBall
10-25-2010, 05:34 PM
didnt Bobby from AG use a similar method if not almost exactly the same as this?

TornadoRed
10-25-2010, 05:45 PM
didnt Bobby from AG use a similar method if not almost exactly the same as this?

That might be where I stole this idea. Did he post pictures? I haven't seen any.

Anyway, I was trying to do this super cheap. Now I might have to fork over the 5 bucks for a bucket that locks in the Grit Guard and a lid. Electricity scares the heck out of me and I really appreciate Dwayne's comment about safety.

tuscarora dave
10-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Got Knob and tube? That would lay you out for sure. It'd be real easy to make up a lid like the grit guard pad cleaner has. I can't tell you how much money I have saved over the years by thinking outside the box. Nice rig.

AndrewBall
10-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Got Knob and tube? That would lay you out for sure. It'd be real easy to make up a lid like the grit guard pad cleaner has. I can't tell you how much money I have saved over the years by thinking outside the box. Nice rig.

its amazing what you can build with a dremel and some good adhesive.

Silverstone
11-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Just get a bucket lid and cut it like the pad cleaner one.