PDA

View Full Version : Self-service car wash waxing question

Pages : [1] 2

jjf
10-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Hello,

I am thinking to use one of those self service car wash bays. I saw it has "waxing" option and after watched a few videos at youtube, it looks like to me the "waxing" is spraying some sort of liquid onto your car. Is this a real "waxing" and is it good? Thank you!

jjf

Dubbin1
10-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Hello,

I am thinking to use one of those self service car wash bays. I saw it has "waxing" option and after watched a few videos at youtube, it looks like to me the "waxing" is spraying some sort of liquid onto your car. Is this a real "waxing" and is it good? Thank you!

jjf

There is NOTHING good about a car wash bay.

jpegs13
10-24-2010, 05:00 AM
There is NOTHING good about a car wash bay.

I disagee. It's a great place for detailers to get future business after the cars get totally screwed up there.:laughing:

BobbyG
10-24-2010, 05:23 AM
I disagee. It's a great place for detailers to get future business after the cars get totally screwed up there.:laughing:

Leave it to you John to find the good in a car wash! :laughing: :laughing:

But you're right! :props:

In the dead of winter here in New England I'll use one as well but only to use the high pressure water to presoak and rinse. I bring my own soap, hot water wash, and gloves to do the actual washing. :props:

JohnnyC
10-24-2010, 11:57 AM
:bash::bash:CARWASH:bash::bash:

tuscarora dave
10-24-2010, 12:02 PM
It was explained to me by a car wash owner that the wax is a kerosene based wax and that technically a manufacturer can add 5 flakes of carnauba to a 55 gallon drum of kerosene and market it as a kerosene based wax. I say not a good situation.

Dr Oldz
10-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Car wash bays are GREAT....................for truck bed washout and muddy trucks ONLY tho! That "wax" is a Crisco and hot water mixture! hehehe

Fly bye
10-24-2010, 11:02 PM
I use a car wash bay to pressure wash my motorcycle. I have used one in the past to pressure rinse my car. No brush shall ever, ever touch my car though.

I don't drive the S2k much anymore, and it chills inside of a garage, so no need for a pressure wash on the S2k. The S2k usually just gets instant detailer, and if I do drive it, and it subsequently gets dirty, I'll use water from a low pressure hose, although sometimes I just use water from a big sponge to wet the paint.

When I drove the S2k a lot, a few years ago, I liked to spray it with a pressure washer, as the front tires throw small bits of rubber that stick to the lower extremities of the car (yes, I used to run her hard).

If you are working on a really, really dirty vehicle, a pressure washer is a good tool to have. When I get a bigger driveway, a pressure washer is the first tool that I'll buy. Until then, I have to resort to a self service car wash bay if I want some pressurized water.

Fly bye
10-24-2010, 11:08 PM
It was explained to me by a car wash owner that the wax is a kerosene based wax and that technically a manufacturer can add 5 flakes of carnauba to a 55 gallon drum of kerosene and market it as a kerosene based wax. I say not a good situation.

I didn't know that. I've used it a few times with no ill effects, although a few times prolly isn't enough to cause a problem.

The question is, does this commercial wax prevent oxidation http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/scratchhead.gif

tuscarora dave
10-25-2010, 06:08 AM
I didn't know that. I've used it a few times with no ill effects, although a few times prolly isn't enough to cause a problem.

The question is, does this commercial wax prevent oxidation http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/scratchhead.gif

There was a time when I used the self serve bay exclusively to wash my cars and trucks. I always used the wax cycle near the end of the wash and can't recall ever having any oxidation on the paint. Just lots of wash induced swirls. This of course was before I started detailing cars and learning better car care techniques.

I am sure that that car wash owner was simply making a point when he said about putting 5 flakes of wax into a 55 gallon drum of kerosene. For the record, this conversation had taken place in the early 90's and with changing EPA guidelines I would think that this is outdated information.

I use the car wash bay to do the initial blasting off of the grit on a lot of detail jobs that I do. The car wash is just up the street from my house so it sees a lot of quarters from me. I always cringe when I see someone washing their car with that brush hanging from the wall. Sometimes I have an opportunity to speak to some of the other customers there and I tell them "It's too bad that you didn't see the cement truck driver that used that brush just before you." Most of them don't get it. lol

Shoe_08057
10-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Directly from the MSDS of a major manufacturer of commercial car wash products for their liquid "automobile wax"

** HYDROTREATED LIGHT PETROLEUM DISTILLATES ** paraffinic, naphthenic solvent; CAS# 64742-47-8; RTECS# None; Supplier
suggested PEL - 100 ppm; TLV - N/D; EFFECTS - CBL IRR; % IN PROD - < 10
** MINERAL SEAL OIL ** (mineral oil); petrolatum; CAS# 64742-30-9; RTECS# - NONE; ACGIH/OSHA OIL MIST LIMIT = 5 mg/m3; TLV -
N/A; EFFECTS - IRR; % IN PROD - < 10
** ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL ** ipa; dimethylcarbinol; 2-pro_ panol; CAS# 67-63-0; RTECS# NT8050000; OSHA PEL-400 PPM;
OSHA/ACGIH STEL-500 PPM ; TLV - 200; EFFECTS - IRR FBL; % IN PROD - < 10

jjf
10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Thank you for the information :laughing:

Directly from the MSDS of a major manufacturer of commercial car wash products for their liquid "automobile wax"

jjf
10-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Where do the swirls come from? High pressure water?

There was a time when I used the self serve bay exclusively to wash my cars and trucks. I always used the wax cycle near the end of the wash and can't recall ever having any oxidation on the paint. Just lots of wash induced swirls. This of course was before I started detailing cars and learning better car care techniques.

I am sure that that car wash owner was simply making a point when he said about putting 5 flakes of wax into a 55 gallon drum of kerosene. For the record, this conversation had taken place in the early 90's and with changing EPA guidelines I would think that this is outdated information.

I use the car wash bay to do the initial blasting off of the grit on a lot of detail jobs that I do. The car wash is just up the street from my house so it sees a lot of quarters from me. I always cringe when I see someone washing their car with that brush hanging from the wall. Sometimes I have an opportunity to speak to some of the other customers there and I tell them "It's too bad that you didn't see the cement truck driver that used that brush just before you." Most of them don't get it. lol

jpegs13
10-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Leave it to you John to find the good in a car wash! :laughing: :laughing:

But you're right! :props:

In the dead of winter here in New England I'll use one as well but only to use the high pressure water to presoak and rinse. I bring my own soap, hot water wash, and gloves to do the actual washing. :props:

Glass is always half full my friend. I actually use the self serve wash the same way you do in the winter months. Beats having all kinds of salt and sand in the driveway.

BMW Motorsport
10-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Anyone know for sure if self-service car washes use recycled water?