PDA

View Full Version : Backing plates for Griot's ROP

Palani
10-23-2010, 12:51 AM
When I put on the 3.5' or 5" backing plate on my Griot's the plates look off centered. Is this normal? The 6" backing plate that came with the machine is almost right on center.

Thanks!

shadowstep
10-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Does it screw in nice and tight with no difference in the feeling of screwing in the smaller backing plate than the bigger backing plate? The reason I ask is because it might be the occilating motion that the pad does while buffing. It might be more noticable when the radius of the backing plate gets smaller and smaller. Also since you are seeing more of the area behind the backing plate, where the counter weight and where the backing plate is screwed into. While with the 6" pads covers the whole view and won't give you the image of being off centered. Just a thought.

JonMiles
10-23-2010, 01:22 AM
The 6" being centered is more of an optical illusion, a ROP has an off-centered thread, thus giving it a random orbital motion. The counterweight is there to offset the thread and allow for balance when rotating.

With any backing plate an ROP will be off-centered, it is just more noticeable with smaller plates.

Palani
10-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Yes the plates screw on just fine. The radius is more noticeable with the smaller backing plates. I kinda figured it was OK but wanted to double check. Thank you both for your reply!