PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold to polish???

ROMEO
10-21-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm planing on polishing my moms car on saturday, but it seems like is gonna be a bit on the cold side 60-62 for the highs, also, I'm gonna be outdoors, and on the sun for a while...

I will try to use poor boys polish, but might have to use menz SIP and/or finish polish for a while...

TIA...

Dubbin1
10-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Those temps shouldn't cause a problem.

ROMEO
10-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Those temps shouldn't cause a problem.

Thank you!!! :props:

C. Charles Hahn
10-21-2010, 10:57 PM
You won't run into problems until temps get to around 40-45 in my experience. Even then, it can be doable if the products themselves are at a higher "room temperature" and you've mildly heated the panel you're polishing with a hair dryer or something of that sort.

SeaJay's
10-22-2010, 07:39 AM
oh wow 60-65...that's cold?! HAHA, sorry I'm from MA and right now our average temps for a full day is below that. This morning I woke up and my truck read 38 degrees!

ROMEO
10-22-2010, 08:13 AM
oh wow 60-65...that's cold?! HAHA, sorry I'm from MA and right now our average temps for a full day is below that. This morning I woke up and my truck read 38 degrees!

Actually, like I said "How cold, is too cold to polish" Since most products have a working range.

I'm from NY and we are having 39 for the low, and 52 for the highs, plus it is windy... But I will not go out and start working on a car this early, I figure, if I start washing the car by 10 or so, by the time I get to the polish temps should be warmer... And my mom is in CT, so it is a bit colder there...

DaHen
10-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Even had to go in the house and find the good old windshield scrapper at six this morning.

SeaJay's
10-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Actually, like I said "How cold, is too cold to polish" Since most products have a working range.

I'm from NY and we are having 39 for the low, and 52 for the highs, plus it is windy... But I will not go out and start working on a car this early, I figure, if I start washing the car by 10 or so, by the time I get to the polish temps should be warmer... And my mom is in CT, so it is a bit colder there...

Oh I know what you were asking I was just commenting on the temp being 60-65...we're lucky if we get up to 60-65 now. Next couple weeks our average high will be low 50's! Hate New England weather!

tuscarora dave
10-22-2010, 09:02 AM
I have polished cars in the dead of winter at 30 degrees. I make sure that the panels that I am working on are in the direction of the sun and the sun warms the panels enough to work on. The key here is to work very small sections at a time and when the sunny side is polished I would turn the car around and give the sun a little time to warm that side before starting back into it. I am not saying that it is easy but it can be done. Halogen lights can also be used to warm the panels one at a time.