PDA

View Full Version : Proper applicator pad use.

CLipster
10-21-2010, 10:08 AM
When I detailed a couple weeks ago I used Menz Powerlock and Coll. 845iw. I believe I used more than truly needed. I did go back and watch a video about applying the powerlock and am satisfied using the dime or nickel size and then using that for about half the front hood, maybe further.

My question is to say on the supplies, what is the easiest way to know you have properly used all the product in the pad before applying more product?

I would use what was applied to the pad, but felt it did not last that long. But when I was cleaning the pad, there was a ton of product.

Any suggestions?

Setec Astronomy
10-21-2010, 10:14 AM
What kind of applicator were you using?

CEE DOG
10-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Edit: (Foam hand applicator)

I squeeze the pad in half pushing more product to the surface and then continue applying.

CLipster
10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
What kind of applicator were you using?

I used the yellow applicator from Autogeek

Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator- Great applicators- Great results! (http://www.autogeek.net/pinfoamwaxap1.html)

Then I also used the red pad for Megs UC. The ones with the divots in it.

CLipster
10-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I forgot that I applied by hand.

Setec Astronomy
10-21-2010, 10:35 AM
The red pad isn't really the right one for a compound or polish. I haven't used Power-Lock, but for most LSP's, thin is in, and surely for 845 which really melts into the paint. Use less than you think you need.

SeaJay's
10-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I haven't tried the power lock yet (it's in the mail though!) but the collinite you don't need to use much at all. With my DA and CCS red pad I pour about a quarter on the pad, rub it in some, then about a nickel size and smooth that over, and that's enough to do a small car or SUV. Just need to make sure that your putting it on in thin layers.