PDA

View Full Version : $ How much to remove clear bra $

Pages : [1] 2

MaximumMD
10-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey guys,

I'm have a customer that wants a clear bra taken off. I learned how to do it but don't know what to charge. Any suggestions?

ROMEO
10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
How long do you think it will take you?, when you estimate a job, what do you base your time at?

jpegs13
10-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Removing a bra can be a real pain. Has to be done warm, either in sunlight or with a hair dryer. Then you'll need 3M Adhesive remover to get off the left over adhesive. Then a full correction.

Chatelaine
10-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Removing a bra can be a real pain. Has to be done warm, either in sunlight or with a hair dryer. Then you'll need 3M Adhesive remover to get off the left over adhesive. Then a full correction.

Why does it have to be done warm?

This is my method, I don't use steam, sunlight or a hair dryer. Just the way it comes into the shop.

Removing them is really easy. Lift at one corner and start pulling towards your body, away from the car. That way the adhesive stays on the backing, instead of on the car. Pull every piece off this way, do not fold it over and try pulling over the 3M.

This is tough to explain in words.

But you can have an entire Hood/Fender/Mirror kit and Bumper kit off in 5 minutes. Then if you see any remaining adhesive, take a lint free rag, not a microfiber, pour a cap full of solvent on to the rag and gently wipe over the adhesive until it's gone.

Then rinse the area with a water bottle or quick detailer.

I charge $50 for removal on a HFMB

If they're concerned about the line between fresh paint where the 3M previously was and the old haggared paint around it, now is the time to upsell a cut and polish service and 3M re-application at your regular rate :xyxthumbs:

RaskyR1
10-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Why does it have to be done warm?

This is my method, I don't use steam, sunlight or a hair dryer. Just the way it comes into the shop.

Removing them is really easy. Lift at one corner and start pulling towards your body, away from the car. That way the adhesive stays on the backing, instead of on the car. Pull every piece off this way, do not fold it over and try pulling over the 3M.

This is tough to explain in words.

But you can have an entire Hood/Fender/Mirror kit and Bumper kit off in 5 minutes. Then if you see any remaining adhesive, take a lint free rag, not a microfiber, pour a cap full of solvent on to the rag and gently wipe over the adhesive until it's gone.

Then rinse the area with a water bottle or quick detailer.

I charge $50 for removal on a HFMB

If they're concerned about the line between fresh paint where the 3M previously was and the old haggared paint around it, now is the time to upsell a cut and polish service and 3M re-application at your regular rate :xyxthumbs:

Have you removed clear film on several cars? I've only had one car where it came off like you describe and I chalk that one up to poor installation.

To the OP, I would actually turn down the job if I were you. I'll probably never do another one again.

Chatelaine
10-20-2010, 04:48 PM
I do them every day. Most of my work is 3M install and removal. Maybe I can take a video and show you how haha

Super duper easy.

RaskyR1
10-20-2010, 05:18 PM
I do them every day. Most of my work is 3M install and removal. Maybe I can take a video and show you how haha

Super duper easy.

I've always been left with adhesive on the majority of panel. I'll have to give it a try without heating it up I guess but even the installer that applied the film suggested heating it up or leaving it in the sun.

Tons on videos on Youtube already BTW. ;)

Cheers,
Rasky

Chatelaine
10-20-2010, 05:26 PM
If you pull it the wrong way you'll get the adhesive stuck to the car. Change your technique and I'd bet you'll notice better results.

RaskyR1
10-20-2010, 05:46 PM
If you pull it the wrong way you'll get the adhesive stuck to the car. Change your technique and I'd bet you'll notice better results.

I'll give it a shot one of these days as I still have the hood piece on my car to remove....it took forever to get the adhesive off on the other panels. :(

bowlwise300
10-20-2010, 06:13 PM
The clear bras should be designed in such a way for easy removal. I've personally never done one nor seen it applied/removed nor had it on any of my cars, but I would assume there is a simple way to lift as much of the bra as possible, not necessarily at once of course, without issue. And for pricing, $50 seams reasonable.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZDR7SCFFE&NR=1]YouTube - 3M film removal[/video]

Chatelaine
10-20-2010, 06:16 PM
He's doing it like I described, you'll notice all the haze on the film is the adhesive and the paint is factory fresh :)

Up here in Canada 3M is on almost 50% of the vehicles to protect from all the rocks during winter. It's a huge business up here. Tons of money!

Setec Astronomy
10-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Pretty interesting, in the video when he pulled the top piece, at the moment he pulled the film back over itself you can see where it left adhesive residue, just as Chatelaine said.

MaximumMD
10-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Dang Chatelaine! If it's as easy as your saying I'm going to be one happy man!! Because I've heard also that you have to heat it up and all of that. I hope it turns out just like you said! I'll have to take some pics and let everyone know how it turns out! And will see if I come back happy or not. Thanks for your help!!

RaskyR1
10-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Chatelaine,

Are there variablse in how the film was applied or between manufactures that would cause some films to be more prone to leaving the adhesive behind, regardless of how you peel it off? Seems there are so many detailers that have horror stories in dealing with them that it makes you wonder if that may be the case.

I've also heard of several instances where it lifted the paint too.

RaskyR1
10-21-2010, 09:20 AM
This video is how my installer told me to remove the film. Doesn't look like the adhesive stuck to the paint here. I've only done it a few times now but out of them only one came off without leaving any adeasive behind...which makes me think there is possibly another variable to this???

I really want to try it pulling off the film the other way but I have Opti-Coat on my car now so I may just wait.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ6Rg6yd_PA]YouTube - Honda clear bra removal[/video]