PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of using QD or Spray Wax when drying after ONR?

newb001
10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I've tried it both ways (ONR/dry and ONR/dry a little, QD, dry completely), and while I like the idea of added lubrication from the QD/Spray wax while drying, I found it a bit cumbersome. I'd prefer to just ONR/dry and then when whole car is done go back with my Spray Wax as an LSP booster.

Is there really any significant benefit (as far as reducing marring, etc.) to using a QD or Spray Wax while drying ONR?

If it's just for added overall protection, I'd prefer to just wait until my wash is totally done, and then Spray Wax the whole car. And especially if I'm doing a full detail and I polish/wax after the wax, then there's no reason to use QD while drying ONR unless it provides that added protection from marring.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Kurt_s
10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I've tried it both ways (ONR/dry and ONR/dry a little, QD, dry completely), and while I like the idea of added lubrication from the QD/Spray wax while drying, I found it a bit cumbersome. I'd prefer to just ONR/dry and then when whole car is done go back with my Spray Wax as an LSP booster.

Is there really any significant benefit (as far as reducing marring, etc.) to using a QD or Spray Wax while drying ONR?

If it's just for added overall protection, I'd prefer to just wait until my wash is totally done, and then Spray Wax the whole car. And especially if I'm doing a full detail and I polish/wax after the wax, then there's no reason to use QD while drying ONR unless it provides that added protection from marring.

Thanks for your thoughts!
ONR can be used as a QD. The whole concept of ONR is to encapsulate the dirt, remove it with one ONR-wetted towel and leave a lubricated surface to be dried with another clean MF towel. It works for me.

I personally apply OCW to a clean dry surface and use OID as a drying aid. I try not to mix chemicals to minimize unwanted reactions, where OID is water-based and would only be diluted further in water during the drying step.

Mister B
10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I think the biggest benefit is in combining 2 separate steps into one step, thus saving time.

Like you, I also prefer to completely dry the car first and then come back and apply the QD or spray wax after.

Kokopelli
10-20-2010, 03:36 PM
My ONR solution usually goes brown after doing half of the car so I just can't get that streak free look on the latest panels. So although I don't use a QD panel by panel I find using a QD to pass all over the car once more gives me the confidence that I am not rubbing the dirt onto the paint and really gives a good finish. So good that I find re-waxing mute the shine :)

CEE DOG
10-20-2010, 03:43 PM
My ONR solution usually goes brown after doing half of the car so I just can't get that streak free look on the latest panels. So although I don't use a QD panel by panel I find using a QD to pass all over the car once more gives me the confidence that I am not rubbing the dirt onto the paint and really gives a good finish. So good that I find re-waxing mute the shine :)

You should wash 1 panel and then dry it. Then move to the next panel.

2K4CE
10-20-2010, 03:43 PM

Are you using a rinsing bucket w/grit guard? I played around with ONR on my cars last night and the solution stayed fairly clean with this method.

Though I did notice that the pads got dirty whereas my usual car wash soap seemed to clean the pads as it went.

CEE DOG
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
You should wash 1 panel and then dry it. Then move to the next panel.

Are you using a rinsing bucket w/grit guard? I played around with ONR on my cars last night and the solution stayed fairly clean with this method.

Though I did notice that the pads got dirty whereas my usual car wash soap seemed to clean the pads as it went.

Ahhh, looks like I misunderstood your post Kokopelli.

Kokopelli
10-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Ahhh, looks like I misunderstood your post Kokopelli.

No problem :xyxthumbs:

I dry it panel by panel but it can still leave some slight haze due to highly contaminated solution. I usually pat-dry the panels for the first go. So using a QD afterwards removes all the water marks etc.

I bought a grit guard but couldn't find a bigger bucket to put it in, for now. I hope it will provide somewhat cleaner solution. :o

2K4CE
10-20-2010, 04:11 PM
I like the home depot bucket for $1.99. ($2.99 with lid) I also use one for my dp-restore pad cleaner. Assuming you have one around there.

ScottB
10-20-2010, 06:38 PM
when I ONR I dont quick detail ... but I think alot about it.

Kokopelli
10-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Maybe it's me who feels a difference. I have more than 4 gallons of different QDs at home and need to spend them somehow :)