PDA

View Full Version : Hard vs Soft waxes

Pages : [1] 2 3

AndrewBall
10-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Ok, I have been doing some more research and decided to try out some new waxes for my cars. I currently use P21s and i feel like this stuff can barely hold up to a strong breeze let alone being washed once a week. I have heard others say the shine wasn't to impressive vs these other waxes so i need to find out for myself.

My issue is, one car is a deep metallic blue(LeMans Blue Metallic from a E39 BMW m5) and the other is my 2000 323 touring, done in Alpinewiess III or for anyone who isn't a bmw dork. White.

I decided i want to try Liquid Souveran. Perfect there is a free sample available with my order. So thats out of the way. Plus i hear its great on white. Even more perfect.

My next choices were from the Dodo juice line up. I wanted to try something that was good for my dark colored vehicle and my light colored one. So i got to looking at them and then i saw the hard and Soft. and being an indecisive person, I then came here to make a thread.

So what is the major difference and pros and cons of the different types?

Also, im open to other recommendations. I primarily am looking for samples at this point because i dont want to drop $100 on a wax and not like it.

I always use a few layers of Sealant first. currently I am using Klasse high Gloss sealant and i love it. (although im open to other options on this as well!)

I am primarily looking for a wax that gives me a jaw dropping appearance. I wax my cars pretty regularly, so durability isn't the most important to me. And as i said everything has a few coats of sealant on it first. Ease of application is nice but its not a selling point for me. I'm not a sissy. If its hard to put on and get off, so be it.

I have been using p21s concours and i was impressed with results. but i dont want to get to excited until i have compared it to others.

Thanks Guys

Scott DeBrun
10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
You can get DoDO juice samples here. My truck is candy apple red metallic and dodo really makes it look great. DoDo suggests putting down a soft coat first and the hard on top of it. I used orange crush and banana armour. I think the hard wax is more durable than the soft but I have a feeling once you use the liquid souveran you will be hooked on it,it's sweet.

AeroCleanse
10-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Get the 30ml sample pot of DodoJuice Supernatural

shadowstep
10-20-2010, 11:10 AM
You can get DoDO juice samples here. My truck is candy apple red metallic and dodo really makes it look great. DoDo suggests putting down a soft coat first and the hard on top of it. I used orange crush and banana armour. I think the hard wax is more durable than the soft but I have a feeling once you use the liquid souveran you will be hooked on it,it's sweet.

:iagree: I am currently using KSG as a sealant and love it. I think for the shine and durability it offers, it is an awesome product. I too got the free Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax and put a coating of it on my hood and it is phenomenal! I am planning to try to stay conservative in using it because it is so awesome, or atleast until my next order :dblthumb2:. I am also curious about the topic of what are the comparative advantages of Hard and Soft Waxes.

Kurt_s
10-20-2010, 12:27 PM
I finally bought a BOGO of FUZION with the 2 small pots for about $50, after the guys kept telling me to try it. I've opened one and used it on my Artic White E39 bimmer (I prefer the E39 body style) and a black Porsche Turbo. I have many applications left in the first pot and it is a WOWO wax. Fuzion is stunning on black and very nice on the white.

It's hard to get stunning out of white, but it is one of the better finishes that I've had on this bimmer. It has held up very well for a few months, and the car has been very easy to keep clean this summer. I prefer a deeper nuba glow to my paint versus a harder, bright glossy finish with some LSPs, if you understand the slight difference. Durability plus a certain look are more important to me than a couple week, pure look.

That being said, I also like the WG DGPS3.0 as a sealant with white, which I plan to put back on my cars for the winter. It has a little nuba like glow too, and is very easy to use. I've also used it on a charcoal grey Audi A4, our champagne beige BMW 535 and a silver metallic Ford Escape. The paint feels smooth like velvet after I use DGPS after polishing the paint.

I have also had good luck with OCW on my white bimmer, a 2000 white Ford F250, a metallic silver Maxima and a 2009 charcoal grey C-class Mercedes. I corrected my wife's friend's Mercedes in May and needed to give her a way to maintain her car easily. It still has a nice liquid glow washing with ONR and spray waxing with OCW 1x per month. I am dumbfounded by this spray wax as it seems both durable and good looking for daily drivers.

I'll be very interested to see pics of your cars when you finally choose your waxes. I have no idea how a soft and hard Dodo wax combo would perform compared to what I've used, but it would be fun to learn.

ScottB
10-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Fuzion is considered a softer wax but still as durable as some harder waxes. It really comes down to finding what you like and learn the benefits and detractions. Its not as simple as hard vs. soft in my opinion.

AndrewBall
10-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Fuzion is considered a softer wax but still as durable as some harder waxes. It really comes down to finding what you like and learn the benefits and detractions. Its not as simple as hard vs. soft in my opinion.

im not so much interested in which one is better. I know thats all speculative.

i was trying to see if someone could enlighten me to the differences between the two. pros and cons of soft wax and pros and cons of hard wax.

im just trying to weigh my options so i can decide which will best suit my application.

TornadoRed
10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
DoDo suggests putting down a soft coat first and the hard on top of it.

I think you have that backwards. Hard then soft based on the Doublewax Kit.
Dodo Juice Doublewax Kit, carnauba waxes, double wax, dodo double waxes, wax layering, carnauba topper (http://www.autogeek.net/double-wax-kit.html)

First, use Dodo Juice Doublewax Hard Wax to lay down a thin, even coat of carnauba wax. The hard wax is easy to apply sparingly and it bonds to form a hard-as-rocks protective coating.

Next apply a layer of Dodo Juice Doublewax Soft Wax on top of the existing hard wax coat. (Wait 1-24 hours before doing so.) The soft wax gives the paint the desirable wet look.

Kurt_s
10-20-2010, 08:38 PM
im not so much interested in which one is better. I know thats all speculative.

i was trying to see if someone could enlighten me to the differences between the two. pros and cons of soft wax and pros and cons of hard wax.

im just trying to weigh my options so i can decide which will best suit my application.

Fuzion is a high end wax that works well with both dark and light vehicles. You have both dark and light cars so it seems to be a good option. It also has better durability than terrific high end beauty waxes like Souveran that last a couple of weeks. Fuzion is great as both a beauty and a higher end daily driver wax if that makes sense. MaxWax is sometimes referred to as a poor man's Fuzion, so it could be another great option.

I'm not really sure if a hard vs soft wax is the right differentiation. I personally want something that lasts a couple of months between waxing. I want something with a look that is more deep with a glow versus a harder, mirror reflection. It's a personal value and you may perfer something different.

If you list out the characteristics that are important to you, I'm sure you will get a shorter list of options.

AndrewBall
10-21-2010, 10:37 AM
ok guys.

im not really looking for a list of waxes. (im starting to questions this forums reading ability as a whole)

I just want to know what are the differences between these two types of waxes. Forget that Fuzion and souveran and supernatural exist for the time being. I just want to know why are there two types? what is the point what does one do that the other doesn't? why is one soft and one hard? what is the purpose of producing them that way. what are the benefits of the wax being hard vs soft. and vice versa.

Sure i like to hear suggestions but that isnt what i am after at all. I want to know why these two types of wax exist. Why should I use a hard paste wax over a soft or vice versa.

Im not listing wax characteristics because thats not what i am after. I want to know what the characteristics of these TYPES of waxes are.

So let me make is easy.

What is the difference between hard and soft waxes?

What is the benefit of a hard wax over a soft wax?

What is the benefit of a soft wax over a hard wax?

knowing this information, i can select my own waxes. As I said, I appreciate your input. having some suggestions is wonderful, but it wasn't really what i was after.

CEE DOG
10-21-2010, 11:08 AM
So let me make is easy.

knowing this information, i can select my own waxes. As I said, I appreciate your input. having some suggestions is wonderful, but it wasn't really what i was after.

Let me be the first to thank you for making it easy. Great job :dblthumb2:

A Dodo rep told me he likes the soft wax for application with bare hands and the hard wax for application with an applicator.... Or was that the other way around :)

Apologies for not having more info for you.

Also, as Scott already told you...

It really comes down to finding what you like and learn the benefits and detractions. Its not as simple as hard vs. soft in my opinion.

Scott DeBrun
10-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Andrew I'm sure there are other websites you can go to be obnoxious why don't you try them or try rereading some of the comments. They are answering your questions.

AndrewBall
10-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Let me be the first to thank you for making it easy. Great job :dblthumb2:

A Dodo rep told me he likes the soft wax for application with bare hands and the hard wax for application with an applicator.... Or was that the other way around :)

Apologies for not having more info for you.

Also, as Scott already told you...

Thanks for the input :xyxthumbs:

Andrew I'm sure there are other websites you can go to be obnoxious why don't you try them or try rereading some of the comments. They are answering your questions.

Obnoxious? Im asking a legitimate questions and the only responses im getting are buy this wax or tell us what kind of wax you want. That isn't what i was after. I've asked the same questions close to 3-5 times in this thread.

I appreciate the input people have offered. I will keep it in mind when i go to select a product. but I wasn't asking what product to use.

I am asking what is the difference between these two types of products. If no one knows then thats fine. But thats all i was asking.

No one has provided that information. They have only pointed out which products are considered hard or soft. but not what the difference between the two is.

My apologies if im coming off as frustrated but i feel like people aren't even reading my initial post. Just jumping in and telling me what to buy.

Mike Phillips
10-21-2010, 11:20 AM

Correctly used, hard waxes are soft waxes because you liquefy the wax onto your applicator pad in order to get it out of the can or jar, you don't "scoop" wax out.

You spin your applicator pad on top of the wax in the jar or can and the friction and motion of your pad will liquefy the wax and allow it to seep into your applicator pad, by hand or machine.

Now you spread out a paste wax as easily as a liquid wax because in essence it is now a liquid wax.

It's all in the technique...

I show the technique in this video...

How to apply a Carnauba Wax by Hand using the Straightline Technique

Part 1 - How to apply a Carnauba Wax by Hand using the Straightline Technique

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4zXem8SxkI]YouTube - Part 1 - How to apply a Carnauba Wax using the Straightline Technique[/video]

Part 2 - How to apply a Carnauba Wax by Hand using the Straightline Technique
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVE7lBFrGNY]YouTube - Part 2 - How to apply a Carnauba Wax using the Straightline Technique[/video]

And talk about it here...

How to break open a coating of wax and remove it by creeping out... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/28204-how-break-open-coating-wax-remove-creeping-out.html)

And since you have to wipe off the wax at some point...

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe.html)

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29230-how-correctly-fold-use-microfiber-towel.html)

How to use a microfiber bonnet to remove dried wax by machine (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29369-how-use-microfiber-bonnet-remove-dried-wax-machine.html)

Note some waxes in cans or jars are actually goopy, and if you own one like this then you do more or less scoop some out of the can.

:)

Scott DeBrun
10-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Andrew next time try not using a reading comprehension analogy and things will go smoother next time, just a suggestion. Have a good day.