PDA

View Full Version : Liquid vs. Spray vs. Paste

William D.
10-20-2010, 09:13 AM
This is something I have always wondered, but have never seems to find an answer for. When you buy a wax, lets say Meguiars Gold glass for example. They have a liquid, and a paste (they might have a spray, I dunno) Is there any benefit of buying one over the other? I was told years ago by an "old school" detailer that paste wax is the best, and he's used it since the early 50's. I used to use liquid wax, but switched to paste wax about 3 years ago, but I just wondered, and figured this would be the place to ask.

All are just about as difficult as the other to apply/buff off, the only real difference in my mind, is the way you apply them. Does one way last longer than another, or is there no real difference?

parboy
10-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Dont know which is better, but I use them all. Usually a liquid sealant, paste topper, and spray after wash.

Scott DeBrun
10-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Just my opinion but it seems to me that it would be a personal preference. A liquid you can put on with a buffer while a paste would be alot harder,unless you have a wax stick. Oh the other hand putting on liquid via a buffer and then taking off with a buffer would be a pain so it might depend on the detailing situation.:props:

BobbyG
10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
I try to apply waxes with my Porter Cable DA. This approach allows me to control the amount of wax therefore leaving just the right amount. In most cases waxes applied by hand are applied too thick wasting product and increasing the effort to remove.

Using liquid waxes with a DA machine makes the most sense. I have used paste waxes but I apply a small dab on the pad and then work it into the paint. Currently I’m split about 60% liquid and 40% paste.

Kurt_s
10-20-2010, 01:06 PM
I think best is personal preference. One formulation may also require a particular format to produce a specific look or characteristic. If that characteristic or group of characteristics are important to you, then best would be that product in that specific format.

Find what works best for you and don't worry about it.

That being said, it seems to be more fun to apply a paste wax by hand than a liquid. The paste waxes just seem to have a different feel to them when you get them on your hands, and they don't feel as much like chemicals to me.

If you are using some of the Zymol waxes, they are formulated to be applied with your hands (without an applicator) as you're supposed to feel the paint. You get a little zen-like and "FEEL" the vehicle. :cool:

Then again, a spray bottle of wax, microfiber towel and 10 minutes to a just waxed look is pretty darn cool.:)

oldmodman
10-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Paste.

As in Fuzion.

When Fuzion comes out as a liquid I will possible change my mind.

But then again Optimum Opti Seal is a liquid, but it isn't a wax. But I still love the stuff.

ScottB
10-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Some products have different designs from paste to liquid (ie. Souveran) and others are quite similar (NXT). I find pastes preferable to me, but cannot discount liquids. I prefer hand application and buffing, and when applied sparingly its usually quite easy.