PDA

View Full Version : cleaning fenderwells?

Rick434
10-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Whats the best tool to use for cleaning the fenderwells on low setting cars with tires that fill the fenderwell, without removing the wheels from the car? I have seen many burshes for sell on autogeek that would work great on trucks suvs or even some cars, but a low setting sports car like a corvette obviously these brushes wont fit so, whats the best way to do it? Some type of thin brush or mit on a long handle is what im looking for

rwright
10-20-2010, 05:57 AM
I use the Daytona Speedmaster Brush. My car has been lowered 1.5" with very little room for a standard wheel brush.

Rick434
10-20-2010, 06:00 AM
ahhh good idea i hadnt thought of that!

CEE DOG
10-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Richards right on. My Sky sits pretty low on the wheels and the daytona works great. Now for applying my 303AP or UTTG to the wells I just twist my arm up in there as best I can. It's not easy but I can get to most of it.

tuscarora dave
10-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Before I got my Daytona Speedmaster (EZ-Detail) brush I used a brush designed for pulling lint from out of dryer vents. It is long, thin and bendable but I had to curl the tip under with needle nose pliers so it wouldn't scratch anything, however it is a bit stiff so I was always careful not to rub it against the paint on the fender. It did work well for fender wells on lowered cars. Some are softer than others. I got mine where you find the mops etc. at Wal Mart.

JSFM35x
10-20-2010, 06:53 AM
I have the Daytona wheel brush but do not find I can get the leverage to scrub as the handle bends. Might be because mine is getting a little older.

I have recently purchased a bottle brush from Ace Hardware that works reasonable well. The bristles are stiffer than the Daytona and far softer than a bowl type brush. I just wish the handle was longer.

As far as dressing the wells, I usually mist them and wipe down with a sponge by hand.

loudog2
10-20-2010, 08:28 AM
This works great, unless the car your working on is dropped. Then it's a little hard to fit between the tire and well.
Mothers Fender Well Brush cleans wheel wells beneath the car's fenders. Fender Well Brush has a long handle to scrub behind wheels and tires. (http://autogeek.net/mothers-fender-well-brush.html)

rwright
10-20-2010, 08:35 AM
This works great, unless the car your working on is dropped. Then it's a little hard to fit between the tire and well.
Mothers Fender Well Brush cleans wheel wells beneath the car's fenders. Fender Well Brush has a long handle to scrub behind wheels and tires. (http://autogeek.net/mothers-fender-well-brush.html)

That's the reason I have to use the Speedmaster, those brushes won't clear. I'm running stock 17x6 wheels wrapped in stock size Goodyear Eagle GT's 205/50/17, car is dropped on 1.5" Tein springs. The bottom of my front bumper is 5" from the pavement!

Double Dizzle
10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
That's the reason I have to use the Speedmaster, those brushes won't clear. I'm running stock 17x6 wheels wrapped in stock size Goodyear Eagle GT's 205/50/17, car is dropped on 1.5" Tein springs. The bottom of my front bumper is 5" from the pavement!
I'm gonna have to try the Speedmaster then because I've been having the same issues with my personal car. I recently purchased the mini but still need to get the full sized brush.

I also have Tein springs on my car and my front bumper is 5" from the ground as well. My exhaust piping is even lower than that, which has given me a nice little dent in my test pipe (no cat on this baby) from larger speed bumps (which I creep over).

oldmodman
10-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I went really cheap and use a toilet bowl brush. I heated the shaft and bent a curve into it.
Just keep the stiff bristles away from the paint.

Toymachine2009
10-20-2010, 06:18 PM
I am lowered quite a bit there is no gap really between my rear tires and my fender.. So definitely a brush won't get In there.. I would get that daytona one your all talking about but I can't justify spending 30+ shipping on a single brush.. I mean come on 50 cents to make but I gotta pay prob total with shipping about $38 for a single brush.

Old Tiger
10-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Richards right on. My Sky sits pretty low on the wheels and the daytona works great. Now for applying my 303AP or UTTG to the wells I just twist my arm up in there as best I can. It's not easy but I can get to most of it.
Corey, I use a Garden Sprayer and Undercarriage spray or my new favorite is Megs ASD which I got for $21 a gallon on July 4 sale. Spray on either one and walk away. Both dry to a nice rich black finish. I bought nice 1 gallon sprayers at Lowess for ~$17 each. No mess and no scuffed knuckles!

Old Tiger
10-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Works great on my Ford, but is too big for the XLR. The black Shmitt works well on the ford too. .I may try a toilet brush on the XLR.