PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a wash mit specifically for ONR.

Pages : [1] 2 3

2K4CE
10-19-2010, 09:02 PM
I tried using the Adam's microfiber washing thing and used it on my car.

The car had 3 days of garage dust on it. It had not been driven.

As I expected, it marked up my clear coat. Although - not as bad as I thought it might. (It does not mark the clear coat if used on paint that has been hit with soapy foam.)

I tried the natural sea sponge, and all it does is push the dust around (though less damage.)

I've read through the list of various washing accessories but I'm not sure which is compatible with ONR and won't do any damage at all.

weavers
10-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Home depot grout sponge. Its simple and works so well. However I do one modication, I cut it just like the lake country sponge. Its kind of hard to cut, I just use a bread knife or a back saw, and push down. It takes a while, but saves a few bucks.

Lake Country Foam Car Wash Sponge, big blue wash sponge, lake country sponge, lake country grout sponge, car wash, shampoo (http://www.autogeek.net/car-wash-sponge.html)

My only complaint about a sponge is that it doesn't get into all the nooks and crannies like a sheep skin. but its so much easier to clean, super fast to dry and easy to use with ONR. the lake country doesn't cause any damage even on soft clear coats even when 4weeks dirty as a daily driver. Just don't apply pressure, rise ever half body panel x2 and use a pressure sprayer to dwell. takes me ~40mins and 2-3towels for most cars.

2K4CE
10-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Dwell? I can't use a pressure sprayer in my garage.

CEE DOG
10-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I hope this will help you.

Here is a question I asked Dr. David Ghodoussi of Optimum about the preferred media of use for ONR.

3A. - What are the finer points of reasoning on the ONR directions stating to use a MF towel rather then a wash mitt or other media? I prefer using an MF towel but would like to know the reasoning behind that being specifically stated.

The reason we recommend Microfiber towels is that there are anywhere from 50,000 pores per square inch for an average microfiber to 200,000 pores per square inch for a very plush Microfiber towel. These pores are active sites to trap dirt and remove it from the surface. Therefore you get a much greater cleaning and protecting effect from a microfiber towel than a wool mitt, etc. The towels we offer are on the upper end of the range I mentioned. The only draw back when using a Microfiber towel as the wash media is that it is hard to remove the dirt that is trapped by No Rinse from the towel unless you use a strong detergent like Power Clean.
Another great wash media is a soft sponge (minimum 80 PPI) that works great for washing with No Rinse. The advantages of sponge over Microfiber is that dirt particles can get adsorbed into the sponge and away from the surface. We are working with a foam manufacturer to develop a mitt that not only is safe and gentle for the automotive paint but also has good cleaning and dirt release properties. Once we complete all the testing and development, we will make this new foam mitt available to help make the wash process with Optimum No Rinse easier.

weavers
10-19-2010, 09:45 PM
this is what i mean by pressure sprayer:
Autogeek Chemical Resistant Pressure Sprayer, pump spray bottle, pressurized sprayer (http://www.autogeek.net/autogeek-pressure-sprayer.html)
\
mine is 34oz and was 5bucks from a local store. it doesn't really have any over spray or anything. I will wash a clients car in a parking lot next to other cars without any problems. the sprayer is really more of a pre soak/pre rinse kind of thing. I find it effective with a 1 bucket method with ONR.\

Rsurfer
10-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Grout sponge with ONR. Sheep skin with soap.

2K4CE
10-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I'l lget the lake county sponge since I'm ordering more stuff soon anyway.

I assume the problem with the streaky muddy dust all over the paint after using it and blotting dry will go away with the sponge, too.

Rsurfer
10-19-2010, 10:10 PM
I assume the problem with the streaky muddy dust all over the paint after using it and blotting dry will go away with the sponge, too.
If its that dirty(muddy dust) do a regular wash.

2K4CE
10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Nope, just a couple days of sitting in the garage. I should have snagged a picture before I removed it all with QD.

IID
10-19-2010, 11:40 PM
I tried ONR for the first time tonight with a WW MF. Worked great.I posted some after pic's in a Thread title "1st time using ONR".Using the WW MF,I induced NO additional scratches.

Chris Thomas
10-20-2010, 09:59 PM
I think you'd be better to use long nap MF instead of WW. Use the WW to dry if you like.

AeroCleanse
10-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I bought a couple of cheap microfiber wash mitts at Advanced Auto for ONR, they work great.

jcarson112
10-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Instead of a MF towel, would a MF noodle (chenile) mitt work just as well?

sulla
10-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Mike phillips actually used the noodle mitt on his 'how to use rinseless car wash video' :xyxthumbs:

Xcessiv
10-21-2010, 06:54 AM
I've tried pretty much every method (mitt, sponge, towels) with ONR. I prefer a good quality MF (like Eshine's Cookie Monster), because it offers a better contact surface, is easier to manipulate, is very soft so applies less pressure, and doesn't scratch at all.