PDA

View Full Version : Wetsanding and buffing a Ferrari 458!

Rick434
10-19-2010, 06:02 AM
I dont think ive seen this article posted here, I found it on another detailing site and thought id share it here as its very in depth and informative on wetsanding and buffing on a beautifull ferrari 458 that has some orange peel from the factory!

Ferrari 458 Italia: Full wet sand and detail in South Florida - Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum (http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=4712)

eversio
10-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for sharing, I don't think I've seen a black 458 before. It sure looks mean.

LegacyGT
10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Wow!

It seems that every car I see has factory orange peel, no matter how expensive it is. Before finding this forum, I just thought that's how the paint looked, and didn't realize that with a lot of effort you can make a mirror shine. When/if I get a new car I may have to try doing this, but not before practicing on some junk panels.

AndrewBall
10-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I did a similar job on a local 458. Only the rear quarter panels needed correction. Local ferrari dealership sold the car but the owner wouldn't pick it up until that was corrected. So i got to take sand paper to a ferrari that still had shipping materials on it.:eek:

Amazing article!

eversio
10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
So i got to take sand paper to a ferrari that still had shipping materials on it.:eek:

Haha that's the part that gets me, just hearing about someone taking sandpaper to a $250,000+ car makes my skin crawl :eek: Granted, these are professionals with plenty of wet sanding experience, but still :laughing:

aerogt01
10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm surprised considering the price of these cars, this is not done at the factory. If you pay for the best, you should get the absolute best, including zero orange peel and swirls.

Wakes4Fun
10-19-2010, 08:06 PM
haha At this point in my detailing career I would just be happy giving such a beautiful car a wash and wax. Two Thumbs Up for a amazing job.

Paulie12ATT
10-20-2010, 06:52 PM
That thing is BAD!!!

That's all i have to say.

AndrewBall
10-20-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm surprised considering the price of these cars, this is not done at the factory. If you pay for the best, you should get the absolute best, including zero orange peel and swirls.

this looks like i may have been a used vehicle. possibly repainted. many 458 caught fire, so this might have been one of the unlucky ones and got repainted. That paint would have never passed Ferrari quality control. nor delivery control. I used to work at Ferrari of Philadelphia and ive never seen a car that had problems. until the 458 i had to come in and do. but it only had problems on the rear fenders because they were replaced last minute by ferrari with the new materials that are more fire and heat resistant.

im guessing this vehicle was repainted by some random shop. perhaps the reason the detailing job came about in the first place.