PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Inside of Windshield

Pages : [1] 2

ilb3
10-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I need advice.

Not to mention that it is quite uncomfortable to do it, but whenever I do it I still have smears left even when I use windshield cleaner.

Could leaving the AC to blast on the window help while im cleaning it so it dries up faster?

longdx
10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Leaving the A/C on while working on the inside of your windshield will only blow the window cleaner in your face. The best bet is to clean the windshield (out of the sun and in a cool time of the day). Use Stoner's Invisible Glass or a dedicated glass cleaner (found here) and a Microfiber cloth. Use a little cleaner, spread with the MF cloth, and wipe dry with another MF cloth or a clean side of the MF.

ilb3
10-18-2010, 09:38 PM
^ Will try it soon. Thanks for the tip.

ricka
10-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Afterwards, keep some window cleaner and a mf in your car. When you drive into the sun, you'll no doubt find some missed spots. Pull over in a lot facing sun and finish the job.

watermark
10-18-2010, 10:15 PM
For what it's worth, here's my method.

1. I always use the most gentle cleaner possible. I clean the windshield weekly so as to avoid build up of grime or pollution. I either use CG Window Clean (my favorite) or Diamondite (which AG sells).
2. I only use one spritz per half of the windshield, as more product just makes it more difficult to achieve a streak free shine.
3. I clean with the Cobra waffle weave, The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel microfiber. (http://www.autogeek.net/ww1627.html), and then polish with another microfiber. The polishing leaves my window streak free at least 99% of the time.

Just a helpful hint, clean the inside and outside in alternating patterns. For example, the outside horizontal and the inside vertical. That way if you do see streaks, you'll know what side of the windshield you need to do a quick polish on.

Hope this helps.

summers
10-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Just a helpful hint, clean the inside and outside in alternating patterns. For example, the outside horizontal and the inside vertical. That way if you do see streaks, you'll know what side of the windshield you need to do a quick polish on.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

That's a Good idea.

dougaross
10-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Glass Master Pro (http://www.autogeek.net/glass-master-pro.html)
Makes cleaning inside much easier

Fly bye
10-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Pull over in a lot facing sun and finish the job.

:iagree:

WRAPT C5Z06
10-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Glass Master Pro (http://www.autogeek.net/glass-master-pro.html)
Makes cleaning inside much easier
What a fraud this thing is. All it does is smear the grime all over the winshield, IME.

jpegs13
10-19-2010, 04:55 AM
What a fraud this thing is. All it does is smear the grime all over the winshield, IME.

The problem with it is that the foam cushion soaks up and holds the glass cleaner. I found a trick. I cut and old MF towel and wrap the cushion, then put a new, clean MF towel over it. Works well. Not as originally intended, but at least I can get that space between the dash and windshield.

BobbyG
10-19-2010, 06:17 AM
Stoners Invisible Glass is a great product and I've been using it for about 5 years now. Because of some of the recommendations here I gave Meguiar's Glass Cleaner and I like it much better.

Using either of the above with a Microfiber glass towel will yield terrific results. If the glass is very dirty then you might have to go over it twice before it's crystal clear.

dougaross
10-19-2010, 07:22 AM

It makes it easier to smear the grime:)
Actually I have a $10 version from the drug store. A squirt and it seems to work fine

Cliffnopus
10-19-2010, 10:41 AM
I use the Stoners version of the glass master pro and it works fine for me. Great for inside windshields.

Cliff

Setec Astronomy
10-19-2010, 10:48 AM

The problem with it is that the foam cushion soaks up and holds the glass cleaner. I found a trick. I cut and old MF towel and wrap the cushion, then put a new, clean MF towel over it. Works well. Not as originally intended, but at least I can get that space between the dash and windshield.

The problem with any glass towel is that you have to keep them very clean (change them often). If you use a regular towel, you change to a clean section several times while doing the interior glass, then throw it in the bucket to be washed when you're done. Hard to do that with the Glassmaster, etc., because you have to buy a lot of extra bonnets and they are expensive (relatively speaking) and single-purpose.

I have found them to be a great tool, but it takes a bit extra effort to either have plenty of extra bonnets or awkwardly wrap a separate MF around it as noted, so I haven't used mine in a long time...prolly should dig it out and give it a whirl again.

Silverstone
10-19-2010, 11:37 AM

I drape a cobra WW glass towel over the bare foam instead of the supplied bonnet and it works great!

To the OP: I drape a large towel over the dash to keep from messing up my detailed vinyl, and spray Sprayway glass cleaner on one half of the windshield at a time using the glass master and WW towel as above. Then move the WW towel to a clean dry section for the other half of the windshield. It never takes more than two applications to get the glass clean and streak free, and usually only one.

The GM tool really makes a huge difference in ease and time, doing the front and back glass has never been easier. Just don't use their crappy bonnet.