PDA

View Full Version : How fast to do passes with Flex?

Pages : [1] 2

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
10-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey whats up guys,

Ive been using my PC for a while now...love it but I want to upgrade here probably around x-mas time cause i just knowwwwwwww AG will have a special (wont you :) )...but I wanted to get a little research done now before I order.

I know the flex has the forced rotation which is what makes it so awesome but I wondered will I be able to make faster passes than I do with the PC since the Flex will be correcting the paint at a quick pace, or do I pretty much stay with the same speed that is used with any other DA?

Also, to the Flex users out there, if there are any other quirks/tips/tricks worth mentioning to get more out of the Flex than I have from the PC, I'd love to hear them and try them out

thanks all

loudog2
10-18-2010, 01:22 PM
It's not that you would do faster passes. It is that you would do less passes.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
10-18-2010, 03:18 PM

I kinda thought that would be the case, but figured I'd ask just to get some input.

Bunky
10-18-2010, 05:11 PM
With the Flex, you need to try to keep the pad flat against the paint and guide it. It will walk on you the less flat you hold it. Body position is important to hold it to guide it with both hands especially on vertical surfaces. If you have to a certain of a hood, it is better to get a work platform and give more over the polisher rather than extending your arms straight..unless you are tall or have strong arms.

You should be able to work a slightly larger area with a less aggressive polish/pad in some cases.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-18-2010, 06:33 PM
It's just flat out better than the PCXP. :p

Rsurfer
10-18-2010, 06:41 PM
You do say.Im the MAN

BobbyG
10-18-2010, 06:45 PM
It's a much more powerful machine and this will be apparent the first time you use it.

I read a number of testimonies here and watched several videos and it was easy to see there's a world of difference between the Flax 3401 and the Porter Cable 7424. I bought my Flex earlier this year and only wish I'd bought it sooner. :props:

sulla
10-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Like loudog2 said.... you'll get less passes...Always go slow with the passes...Going too fast will haze your paint

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
10-19-2010, 02:57 AM
With the Flex, you need to try to keep the pad flat against the paint and guide it. It will walk on you the less flat you hold it. Body position is important to hold it to guide it with both hands especially on vertical surfaces. If you have to a certain of a hood, it is better to get a work platform and give more over the polisher rather than extending your arms straight..unless you are tall or have strong arms.

You should be able to work a slightly larger area with a less aggressive polish/pad in some cases.

Ya ive heard it'll kidna walk away on you. How many speed setting does the Flex have anyway?

I'm pretty tall, 6'3..and with all the manual work that i do my arms are pretty strong as well...so cars should be no problem with reach...even trucks and smaller SUVS...some of the big boys tho like a Suburban or Esclade etc a platform would surely help...its on my wish list...then again so is some sort of scafolding seeings how we've been getting some RV jobs lately. While a step ladder works, its a pain in the a** having to to do a 4 ft section or so and then have to climb down, move the ladder, climb back up and do it over n over again. Something light but sturdy as well as compactable would be awesome:props:

lol, yea ive heard. I love my ORIGINAL PC and surely wont get rid of it, but i do need something with a little more 'oomph' to it

It's a much more powerful machine and this will be apparent the first time you use it.

I read a number of testimonies here and watched several videos and it was easy to see there's a world of difference between the Flax 3401 and the Porter Cable 7424. I bought my Flex earlier this year and only wish I'd bought it sooner. :props:

I'm planning on snaggin mine during the x-mas sales AG always has..will be my little gift to myself :)

Like loudog2 said.... you'll get less passes...Always go slow with the passes...Going too fast will haze your paint

Yeah thats kinda what I thought but just was makin sure I wasn't doing any unnecessary work..

Thanks for everyones feedback, great stuff so far

sulla
10-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Buy it already IF you have the dough :thumb:

Bunky
10-19-2010, 06:33 PM
The flex has 6 speeds. I run it at 5.5 to 6. The finger trigger is nice plus it has a lock.

You move the pad at the same basic speed as a PC but much less sensitive to pressure (holding it firmly against the paint seems enough since you do not need to worry about bogging down). It will do its work.

Rob T
10-19-2010, 06:42 PM

:iagree:

sulla
10-20-2010, 03:13 AM
The flex has 6 speeds. I run it at 5.5 to 6. The finger trigger is nice plus it has a lock.

You move the pad at the same basic speed as a PC but much less sensitive to pressure (holding it firmly against the paint seems enough since you do not need to worry about bogging down). It will do its work.

Bunky you're one of those guys who always polish at speed 6

Have you ever worked with 105 and flex ? How many passes do you get with 105 at speed 6 ? I could only do 4 passes at speed
3 before the polish dries.. If i go to 6 i could barely do 1..

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
10-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Bunky you're one of those guys who always polish at speed 6

Have you ever worked with 105 and flex ? How many passes do you get with 105 at speed 6 ? I could only do 4 passes at speed
3 before the polish dries.. If i go to 6 i could barely do 1..

Did you prime with the kevin brown method? I havent tried it with 105 yet but ive used it with other products and it works quite well...just an idea...ive heard other people say they get a much longer buff cycle with using that priming method...as well as less dusting

sulla
10-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Did you prime with the kevin brown method? I havent tried it with 105 yet but ive used it with other products and it works quite well...just an idea...ive heard other people say they get a much longer buff cycle with using that priming method...as well as less dusting

Ya I did...I was actually over the other thread about M105 and dusting and KB pointed the detrimental effect of too much product... He's known to never like the flex as well.. So yea maybe I'll try less product on my next detail