PDA

View Full Version : Montana Original 10 inch Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brush

Pages : [1] 2

Mirror Detailing
10-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Montana Original 10 inch Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brush & Telescopic Handle is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. Auto wash (http://www.autogeek.net/bohabrteha1.html)

Bought this two weeks ago as I have heard good things about them. Being very soft, delicate on the paint and great for cleaning any sized vehicle. Plus my microfiber wash mitt was in need of replacing so...

Anyways got the boars hair brush, and seemed to be a good design...though had a odd moldy smell to it when I pulled it out of the box. :dunno: Put it together and went to use it on a recently detailed Chevy Avalanche, red. Assembled the telescopic handle and brush head, gave the head a very thorough cleaning. Got the TBM out and filled and ready with Hyper Wash. Worked great, made it a lot faster to wash and did a great job...or so I thought. After I dried the vehicle and pulled it out into the sun I noticed it had some very very heavy wash marring on it. Considered maybe it was like that before I started I just never noticed. Well today I tried it on another vehicle and made sure to check a few areas before I started and washed in one direction. Sure enough once it was dried off, there were heavy washing scratches in the direction I washed.

Now I do not know if mine is defective, but it sucks that such a good product, even when covered in a lot of soads leaves behind heavy wash marring. Just my two cents though...

Dwayne
10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
How long did you let the brush soak in the wash bucket? I've noticed that if you soak it for 5-10 minutes in soapy water before using the bristles are so soft and slick that should not be able to cause any marring.

Give me a call if that doesn't work so we can get it taken care of.

AndrewBall
11-03-2010, 02:03 PM
yeah i always soak mine in warm water prior to washing. although even without soaking never had any problems did you rinse it off and clean it before using it the first time?

Old Tiger
11-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I havent had marring, but my vehicles have very hard clear. The smell is awful at first

Mirror Detailing
11-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I have tested the brush multiple times in multiple ways. I have let it soak for as much as 15 minutes, made sure the head was clean and just anything I could do to keep the amount of scratching down. I have tested the brush on a Arcadia, Avalanche and a Mustang and each of them had scratching all over it from it. Which did not occur until I switched from the Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash mitt to the Boars Hair brush.

But again, this should take no bearing on the product itself. I know a lot of people have great success with theirs, mine just might have been a bad batch or something. Or there was something that got into the fibers that I have been unable to get out.

Blackthorn One
11-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I only use my boar's hair brush for the first wash, and use it very gently to remove the big grit. I do not believe that the boar's hair brush is soft enough to exert the pressure necessary to completely clean a car of the finer dirt, and so I think that some scratching would be quite likely if I tried. When I can hear the bristles on the surface, I know I'm rubbing too hard. I always wash a second time with a microfiber mitt, to remove the finer dirt that is more stuck on. I think that is the best way. I have done it like this for a few years now, and I have been very pleased with my results. The brush is very nice because it gets into crevices easily, and the bristles rinse clean easily between panels.

dispense
01-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I bought a Montana's Boar Hair brush with telescoping handle recently. Used it today and only got through half of the vehicle before the plastic handle snapped off at the base...

Obviously I was using too much pressure...

However, I was really only using a pretty light touch. My vehicle is brand new and I've been cleaning vehicles long enough to know a light touch when washing is critical.

I bought the brush for the colder months and to make washing the roof and larger vehicle quicker.

Looking at where it broke, at the base where the handle attaches to the brush, it is just a hollow tube made of thin plastic. I think it was only a matter of time...

Not impressed.

Flash Gordon
01-02-2011, 04:35 PM
If you choose to wash your vehicle with a brush you should expect there to be damage caused :nomore:

Laura
01-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Same thing happened to me. I'd used mine on several family cars, all beige, and loved everything about it except the smell. Then I used it on my dark car one weekend when I was in a hurry. I put fine lines over the entire car. I assumed it was user error on my part, but it made me really grateful that I knew how to fix my paint. I agree with Flash, if you don't have the ability to fix your mistake, don't risk washing with something with the potential to induce marring.

dispense
01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Lesson learned I guess, I was using the two bucket method so my guess is that the agitation in and out of the buckets made the handle weak.

I did a close inspection in sunlight and didn't see any marring/swirl marks/scratching. I only believed what I had read in the product description and a video review on this site. Apparently I read the wrong reviews :xyxthumbs:

I definitely believe it is 100% pure boar's hair though....cause it smells like I have a wet, wild animal in my apartment Im the MAN

I'll be going back to my microfiber washmits. I didn't like not putting my hands on the vehicle anyways...

Bert31
01-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I have never had problems with my Montana Boars Hair Brush.

A long time user of Boars Hair told me the #1 cause of marring with BHB's is if the adhesive which holds the hair to the brush gets on the tips of the hair which is in contact with the paint. It will mar the heck out of your paint. He recommends getting a magnifying glass and thoroughly inspecting the hairs. If a few tips have the adhesive on it, pull those hairs out (use tweezers or pliers I guess). If more than a few, return the brush to where ever you bought it.

He said the #2 cause is when the brush has been used for years and the spliced tips have worn down and are no longer spliced.

So the lesson seems to be, inspect your brush carefully.

On a side note, I agree, BHB's smell pretty bad. Then again, a boar is similar to a pig and pigs smell pretty bad too so I guess it makes sense.

dbbrooks
01-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I wanted one of these but after reading this thread I think I'll stick to sponge.

jimmyjam
01-03-2011, 03:26 PM
If you choose to wash your vehicle with a brush you should expect there to be damage caused :nomore:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Marc08EX
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
I agree. You will never make me try using a brush on a vehicle's paint surface. It doesn't matter how soft you tell me your bristles are. A brush is a brush LOL!

Dwayne
01-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Then again, a boar is similar to a pig and pigs smell pretty bad too so I guess it makes sense.

There are some instances when a pig smells pretty good. Bacon, ham and sausage.