PDA

View Full Version : Need help with spots left after ONR wash

newb001
10-18-2010, 11:06 AM
A few weeks ago I did an ONR wash/clay/KAIO/845. This weekend I just did a wash/spray wax (the car was mainly just dusty, no 'real' dirt).

My method was: wash each panel with ONR using my MF wash mitt, pat it dry a bit with a clean plush MF, spray at most 2 spritzes of Prima Hydro Spray Wax, and then wipe down the panel with a plush MF and then a slightly less plush MF (with this last MF I made sure to go slow over the whole panel making sure that I got it totally dry/buffed the Hydro). For the windows I just did ONR and dried. Once done with the whole car I went back again with a clean MF and did another 'final wipe'.

The car looked great in the shade, but once I took it in the sun I noticed hundreds of little spots on both the paint (mostly the hood) and the glass. To me it looks like water spots, but I'm no expert and perhaps you would know if it's something different (too much spray wax?). The engine/hood was probably still a bit warm when I did the wash/spray wax, so perhaps that caused the issues on the paint? But I don't know how I could have spots on the glass. I tried using some Adam's detail spray and it would not remove the spots from the paint or the glass (I've never heard of glass getting so 'stuck' with spots like this). What could I have done wrong?

I then drove 30 minutes back from my folks house to my apartment, and with the hood being quite warm I sprayed a bit of Adam's detail spray onto a plush MF and tried wiping down a 'spotted' section of the hood, thinking that perhaps the warm engine would help remove whatever was there. It actually seemed to work pretty well and I think I got most of the hood 'clean', though I need to go back into the sun today. I then tried wiping down the windows a bit and got some of the spots, but not all. Again, how could glass become so 'stained' with spots??

Unfortunately all I had was my cell phone but here's what I was able to take:

http://imm.io/media/1G/1G4i.jpg
http://imm.io/media/1G/1G4i.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts!

Joe in PA
10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
My guess is and it is only a guess, that the "water spots" were already present on the dusty car before you did the ONR and spray wax. ONR won't remove waterspots and if you then waxed over them, they are now under a thin layer of protection. Again just a guess but I don't see how a properly done ONR wash and spray wax would create water spots.

newb001
10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
My guess is and it is only a guess, that the "water spots" were already present on the dusty car before you did the ONR and spray wax. ONR won't remove waterspots and if you then waxed over them, they are now under a thin layer of protection. Again just a guess but I don't see how a properly done ONR wash and spray wax would create water spots.

Hmm... that sounds very reasonable for the paint, but I don't think it would explain the spots on the glass (which definitely were not there before).

To remove the spots on the paint, can I just use either KAIO or AG SRP to remove them? Or might I need to clay?

Thanks again!

Shade Tree
10-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Hmm... that sounds very reasonable for the paint, but I don't think it would explain the spots on the glass (which definitely were not there before).

To remove the spots on the paint, can I just use either KAIO or AG SRP to remove them? Or might I need to clay?

Thanks again!

Try the clay first & if all else fails resort to AIO. ........