PDA

View Full Version : QD and wax/polish removal?

bodavenport
10-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Does anyone else use a QD to aid in hazed wax removal or polish removal? Many times I will use a little QD after polishing with UC if it is being stubborn to remove. I have also used it to remove a hazed wax to prevent introducing any marring. Do you think this has any negative complications?

Mike Phillips
10-18-2010, 08:25 AM
This questions like this come up all the time...

Using a mist of a quality quick detailer and soft microfiber towel should remove any streaks, smudges or patchy areas...

Most waxes, or paint sealants, if used correctly and a thin coating is applied should wipe off easily without having to use a quick detailer. You're wiping technique is important also, I always show people how to make little swipes instead of trying to take off huge areas of wax in a single wiping motion, it makes it easier to remove the wax and is more gentle to the paint.

Something we show in all our classes. It's also in my two videos on applying waxes and sealants in the video library.

As it relates to wiping off a "protection" product as compared to a compound, with a compound you just want the residue off and away from the car so it doesn't interfere with the next product application.

With a wax or paint sealant, the goal for most people is to leave as much of the protection ingredients on the surface as possible to protect the paint. Wiping and wiping with a spray detailer doesn't "add" more protection ingredients... what's the opposite of "adding"?

:)