PDA

View Full Version : Need your input on 5 1/2" Pads

Pages : [1] 2

pfix
10-17-2010, 08:36 AM
I am getting ready to buy a Griots polisher, (Flex comes later) I plan on using the 5 1/2" pads with a 5" backing plate. I would like your input as to which brand/type of pads to use, colors and qty. needed as well as which backing plate you recommend. After much reading I am leaning towards the LC Flat pads.

I will be using Optimum Spray Compound and Polish and also Megs Ultimate Compound (already have) for heavy work.

BobbyG
10-17-2010, 08:41 AM
I use 5 1/2 Lake Country flat pads on my Porter Cable 7424 and really like them. I also have the 6 1/2 CCS pads and while these do work this machine really shines when using the 5 1/2 size. :props:

ScottB
10-17-2010, 08:43 AM
I like flat pads too .. but really get amped to the newer Hydro-tech offerings.

zliegen
10-17-2010, 08:46 AM
If you plan on doing "heavy work" you're going to want at LEAST 3 orange pads and 3 white pads, and depending on clear strength, maybe yellow foam or surbuff. In addition to orange and white, black pads are very useful as well for glazes and super light polishing, and I like using a blue pad to apply paste waxes, though some prefer red.

In my opinion, it greatly decreases your work time when you don't have to constantly clean your pads. Being able to just throw your dirty pad in a bucket to soak, put a clean pad on and keep going helps a lot.

I listed all of these things because you seem quite serious about it and its better to order everything you're gonna need at once than to have to pay for shipping twice. Ask me how I know.

If you just want to get a taste for it and dont want to spend all that money on pads at once, a good intro package in my opinion would be 6 LC flat pads in 5.5". 3 orange 2 white 1 black.

pfix
10-17-2010, 09:02 AM
I like flat pads too .. but really get amped to the newer Hydro-tech offerings.

Which do you like better the 7/8" or the 1.25" thick Hydro-tech pads? Recommendations on quantities of which colors to start off with?

I agree with the earlier post that I do not want to stop and clean pads during my detail session.

Rob T
10-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Hydro-Tech FTW!

pfix
10-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Hydro-Tech FTW!

Low profile or the regular?

daveinsweethome
10-17-2010, 11:32 AM
low profile.

Rob T
10-17-2010, 11:42 AM
low profile.

:iagree:

pfix
10-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the reply. I almost clicked the order button on the thicker ones.

What about cleaning these pads? Can I get by with Dawn or APC, or do I need a dedicate pad cleaning product?

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
10-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Good choices with the flats and Hydros, my order of exactly that (plus a couple other things) is gonna be here tomorrow :).

When you're done using a pad if you get it in some soapy water right away, rather that letting the compound/polish/wax dry...it saves a ton of headaches. I usually just do warm water and soap but for pads that you have used quite a bit of product on a quick hit of APC will help....also if a pad is really bad i'll massage a little laundry detergent into it (liquid with no scents etc.) and that helps a lot also.

After that just make sure to rinse it out really well and lay it on some sort of a grid so both sides can dry at once if you can...but if your're like me and DONT have that :)..just lay it on one side for a few hrs and flip it and let i dry a few more hrs and you're good to go:xyxthumbs:

pfix
10-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Just placed my order. Did not get the free shipping for some reason. I was able to use my AGBUCKS discount code though. I will call tomorrow to get it straightened out.

Thanks for all of the input.

2K4CE
10-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Hmm yeah its not calculating for me either.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
10-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Just placed my order. Did not get the free shipping for some reason. I was able to use my AGBUCKS discount code though. I will call tomorrow to get it straightened out.

Thanks for all of the input.

What does tha AGBUCKS discount give? What all did ya end up ordering :)

Rob T
10-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. I almost clicked the order button on the thicker ones.

What about cleaning these pads? Can I get by with Dawn or APC, or do I need a dedicate pad cleaning product?

Yes, Dawn or APC will work fine to clean the pads.

Good choices with the flats and Hydros, my order of exactly that (plus a couple other things) is gonna be here tomorrow :).

When you're done using a pad if you get it in some soapy water right away, rather that letting the compound/polish/wax dry...it saves a ton of headaches. I usually just do warm water and soap but for pads that you have used quite a bit of product on a quick hit of APC will help....also if a pad is really bad i'll massage a little laundry detergent into it (liquid with no scents etc.) and that helps a lot also.

After that just make sure to rinse it out really well and lay it on some sort of a grid so both sides can dry at once if you can...but if your're like me and DONT have that :)..just lay it on one side for a few hrs and flip it and let i dry a few more hrs and you're good to go:xyxthumbs:

The Hydro Techs take a long time to dry! The foam is so dense that the water wants to stay in them forever. I thought I had let a couple dry long enough and I put them away in a zip lock bag, only to find mold in them a couple weeks later. Needless to say I make sure that they are dry before putting them away, and I no longer put them in zip locks. :nomore: