PDA

View Full Version : What are the rpm ranges for the PC DA's settings?

stevehecht
10-16-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm sure that this has been asked and answered before...I'm always reading about running the orbital polisher at a certain rpm number, but I don't know how to translate that into the dial settings on the polisher.

Shane731
10-16-2010, 05:29 PM
RPM's (Rotations Per Minute) only relate to rotary buffers, because they only go in one direction, or rotation. OPM's (Oscillations Per Minute) relate to DA buffers, because they move in large circles and smaller circles at the same time (hence the name, dual action). As far as your question goes:

Doesn't really matter...

If you need to remove swirls you're going to be on the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting
For polishing after removing the swirls you want to be on the 4.0 to 5.0 speed setting
For applying a liquid finishing wax or paint sealant you want to be somewhere in the 3.0 to 4.0 range...

IF you're using a one-step cleaner/wax to remove defect then that would be like removing swirls so your back up to the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting.

I've buffed out a zillion cars and never gave one thought about what the OPM or Oscillations Per Minute are while doing the work because you base your procedure on the speed setting on the dial and at that point it's kind of relative as to what the technical spec is for OPM, just spin the dial to the speed setting you want and get busy.

DetailedByPrecision
10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
1=1000
2=2000
3=3000