PDA

View Full Version : Infared Garage Heaters

Pages : [1] 2

MI Mike
10-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I was looking at heating of garage for winter months, here in Michigan. I ran across an article on infared garage heaters. Has anyone used them ?? How would you rate them ? What were the electric cost for operation ? If you used the heater were there any problems, etc. ??

tuscarora dave
10-16-2010, 01:50 PM
We have a Eden Pure Infrared heater for the house that works great. Our electric bill went up $100 a month but our gas bill went down $250 a month so it payed for itself the first winter that we owned it. There was a problem with a heat overload switch inside ours that would open the circuit after 10 minutes of operation so we opened the unit up and bridged the switch and have had good service from it for 3 years now.

fancyfootwork
10-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Holy crap I was JUST going over infrared heaters at work (HVAC supply company) and I was learning all about them. I was thinking "Wow, I want one for my garage".

GARAGE/RESIDENTIAL Infrared Radiant Gas Heaters by Space-Ray (http://www.spaceray.com/garage-residential.php)

Basically, infrareds heat from the ground up.. they do not heat the air. They heat objects. The ground will be roughly 10 degrees warmer then a standard direct heater. They act like the sun and are supposed to be way more effecient.

We have them to heat the warehouse I work in and will let you know in a few months how well they work.

I am considering one of these for my garage but they are expensive and you need a well insulated garage. Also, you can choose from a propane setup or natural gas.. I'm assuming most people would choose natural if you live in the cities or propane if your out in the boonies.

As for detailing, i'm assuming these would be much better then hot air blowing on your buffer and paint.

C. Charles Hahn
10-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I haven't really looked into infrared heat, but I use one of these in my garage and am very happy with it:

Dimplex DGWH4031 Electric Garage and Workshop Heater (http://air-n-water.stores.yahoo.net/shgahe40wael.html)

proudpoppa
10-16-2010, 02:43 PM
sorry to go off topic but i see you are from mid-michigan mike, whereabouts? im in the thumb myself.

MI Mike
10-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Lived in Saginaw, Midland and now Bay City. Would love to win the lottery and move up up Up North. I could then afford to have someone detail my vehicle for me.

proudpoppa
10-16-2010, 03:04 PM
haha, i hear ya. I think thats most michigander's dream is to win it big and move up north.

C. Charles Hahn
10-16-2010, 03:41 PM
haha, i hear ya. I think thats most michigander's dream is to win it big and move up north.

Not this Michigander! Why would I want to deal with even MORE snow than I already have to shovel, drive in, etc.?!

:nomore:

proudpoppa
10-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Not this Michigander! Why would I want to deal with even MORE snow than I already have to shovel, drive in, etc.?!

:nomore:

if you won the lotto you could afford to have someone shovel, drive you around etc etc. although i have to agree i dont think id want to be up there during the winter, except for ice fishing.

MI Mike
10-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Holy crap I was JUST going over infrared heaters at work (HVAC supply company) and I was learning all about them. I was thinking "Wow, I want one for my garage".

GARAGE/RESIDENTIAL Infrared Radiant Gas Heaters by Space-Ray (http://www.spaceray.com/garage-residential.php)

Basically, infrareds heat from the ground up.. they do not heat the air. They heat objects. The ground will be roughly 10 degrees warmer then a standard direct heater. They act like the sun and are supposed to be way more effecient.

We have them to heat the warehouse I work in and will let you know in a few months how well they work.

I am considering one of these for my garage but they are expensive and you need a well insulated garage. Also, you can choose from a propane setup or natural gas.. I'm assuming most people would choose natural if you live in the cities or propane if your out in the boonies.

As for detailing, i'm assuming these would be much better then hot air blowing on your buffer and paint.

The information that I was looking at referenced a 110-volt, electric unit, priced out at about $225. It was a stand alone unit with optional wheel base to move around. Nothing in the advertisement mentions what the cost to operate were. They did reference that it would cost more to heat with natural gas or propane than with these units and it was cleaner to operate. That's why I was wondering about anyone using these type of heaters. Cost to operate is important. A more warmer work area during winter a plus.

2003 GMC Denali
10-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I like Forced-Air rather than something that cooks the objects... like your Paint for example.

Do you want the entire Garage to be warm... or just a spot under the Infra-Red Heat-lamp?

If you work in the Garage, do you want to feel warm everywhere, or just under where the heat is radiating from?

Lennox makes a special line of Low-Profile Garage Heaters for any size of Garage.

http://www.lennox.com/pdfs/brochures/Lennox_Garage_Heaters.pdf

I also have an Industrial Ceiling-fan in my Garage, so in the Winter, about 3 Hours after both vehicles are in the Garage, my Floor is bone dry.

Gas Garage Heaters | Propane Garage Heater | Natural Gas Garage Heater | LF24 Garage Heaters | Lennox Residential (http://www.lennox.com/products/garage-heaters/LF24/)

MI Mike
10-17-2010, 03:06 PM
I like Forced-Air rather than something that cooks the objects... like your Paint for example.
Do you want the entire Garage to be warm... or just a spot under the Infra-Red Heat-lamp?
If you work in the Garage, do you want to feel warm everywhere, or just under where the heat is radiating from?
Lennox makes a special line of Low-Profile Garage Heaters for any size of Garage.
http://www.lennox.com/pdfs/brochures/Lennox_Garage_Heaters.pdf
I also have an Industrial Ceiling-fan in my Garage, so in the Winter, about 3 Hours after both vehicles are in the Garage, my Floor is bone dry.

Inquiring into use of infared heaters as an alternative heat source. Economically heating an area, so you can work without feeling cold or freezing. What is the most cost effective. Satisfactory results, etc. Pro-Cons, and positive/negative comments about the infared heaters that are being offered.

2old2change
10-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Early in my career I worked in a semi-tractor repair shop that used infared heaters and when the temp was down below freezing they just didn't make it feel warm enough for my taste.Have no idea of what it cost to run compared to natural gas furnace or electric heaters. Presently I have a detached garage (just under 30x40)behind my home with a hanging gas furnace from Menards . The thermostat is set at 50 degrees all winter and I work in there quite comfortably .

2003 GMC Denali
10-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Inquiring into use of infared heaters as an alternative heat source. Economically heating an area, so you can work without feeling cold or freezing. What is the most cost effective. Satisfactory results, etc. Pro-Cons, and positive/negative comments about the infared heaters that are being offered.

Ya, I know what the Thread is all about.

My opinion is that Infra-Red heaters are more like Spot Heaters... and a Garage Heater such as the Lennox's, heat more evenly.

C. Charles Hahn
10-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Ya, I know what the Thread is all about.

My opinion is that Infra-Red heaters are more like Spot Heaters... and a Garage Heater such as the Lennox's, heat more evenly.

I'm with you on that. The Dimplex unit I referenced (which is forced air -- an electric heating element with a fan) does a great job of circulating even heat throughout my work area. It can be 20* outside and my garage will be just under 70*.

:xyxthumbs: