PDA

View Full Version : CCS 4" Pad - Fell apart?

SeaJay's
10-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Well I recently purchased the CCS 4" pads for my DA. I used the yellow cutting pad twice, both times after use I cleaned really well and let them air dry. Last night I was working with it and all of a sudden i noticed the pad wasn't rotating in a uniform motion (thought the pad wasn't centered). I shut off the DA and the pad had come almost completely off the velcro backing.

I was working on an 05 Chevy Equinox and the paint is rather hard, so I was applying some pressure, but should the pad really fall apart like that after only using it twice?!

The pads aren't ridiculously expensive, but if I'm only going to get two uses out of a pad, I'm going to start looking for a new brand.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Make it shine!
10-15-2010, 08:39 AM
I have found that when using the 4" pads, no matter whose pads, at high speeds and applying pressure on the DA they don't last long at all. They heat up quickly and either become real soft in the middle and or they separate from the velcro. For this reason I only buy them at good prices and try to use them sparingly for heavy correction. If I do use them fo rcorrectin I make sure I give them a brake and allow them to cool down. It makes the job a bit longer but it does offset the pricing of new pads.

SeaJay's
10-15-2010, 09:53 AM
I must say that it pissed me off pretty good. This is the 2nd pad that I've ruined. I had the 4" edge pad as well for my DA and it tore apart on me, but this one was my fault, I took the pad off the surface (IDIOT!) and the weight of the polish and pad it just tore apart.

I need to ensure that I'm taking breaks more often I guess to ensure not as much heat build up. Drives me nuts!!!

tuscarora dave
10-15-2010, 10:12 AM
every one that I ever purchased did that. On the other hand I have gotten 2 years use out of some of my Genuine Cyclo 4" pads. I got tired of being twisted up about failing pads so I went on a 4" pad pilgrimage and came up with these yesterday http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wool-foam-buffing-pads/29620-i-found-some-nice-pads-locally.html I have yet to try them out so keep an eye out for my review of them in a few days. I can tell you that the Cyclo pads last a long long time. I just wanted to find something less expensive and closer to home.

SeaJay's
10-15-2010, 10:18 AM
So the Cyclo pads are good huh? I'll have to check them out. I may have to give a call around to some of the local shops and see if any of them sell pads locally. The only thing that I have found so far are the bonnets and stuff they sell at Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, and VIP.

SeaJay's
10-15-2010, 10:20 AM
every one that I ever purchased did that. On the other hand I have gotten 2 years use out of some of my Genuine Cyclo 4" pads. I got tired of being twisted up about failing pads so I went on a 4" pad pilgrimage and came up with these yesterday http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wool-foam-buffing-pads/29620-i-found-some-nice-pads-locally.html I have yet to try them out so keep an eye out for my review of them in a few days. I can tell you that the Cyclo pads last a long long time. I just wanted to find something less expensive and closer to home.

For the cyclo pads do I need to buy a different backing plate or will the standard hook & loop 3.5" one i have work?

tuscarora dave
10-15-2010, 10:31 AM
same backing plate will work, the glue process that they use lasts forever. The foam and face of the pad will wear out before the velcro comes off. They are top notch. but they only come in flat foam, wool or for the edge 2K (double precision). While the double precision system looks inviting, I can't recommend them as they separate from the plastic disc that the Edge 2K adapter snaps into.

SeaJay's
10-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Yeah I actually started with the 4" edge pads and they are decent pads, but so far I prefer the hook and loop system. It's much easier to switch out pads. Plus I can lay the velcro side down on a table and not worry about contaminating one side of the edge pad since they are double sided.

Well I guess I know what my next order will be! Appreciate the help and feedback!

tuscarora dave
10-15-2010, 11:28 AM
be careful not to mistake the yellow scrubbing pads with the yellow cutting pads, there is a big difference. I suggest getting the yellow cutting, orange light cutting and the green polishing pads. Cyclo also has a white finishing pad that is super soft but tough in that they last forever. There is a blue pad that is in between the white and green in terms of the ability of the pad. I would steer clear of the orange pads that are not "Genuine Cyclo Pads" while the velcro holds better on those than the CCS pads do, the foam disintegrates around the velcro rather quickly.

Meghan
10-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Any pad problems give Dwayne a call at 800-869-3011 ext 212

Fly bye
10-15-2010, 03:12 PM
should the pad really fall apart like that after only using it twice?!

No.