PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream?

spike
10-14-2010, 08:00 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cPTQsow-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000BO8Z9I/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive)
Hi everyone, has anyone tried this polish? I want to use it on some exhaust tips for my 2005 Acura TL. I found some locally, and wondered what you thought of it. Also, I read online that this product, which leaves a silicone protective coating after polishing, can cause the metal to yellow after you use it. Do you find that to be true?

ScottB
10-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Flitz and 0000 Steel Wool works pretty nicely as another choice.

ZimRandy
10-14-2010, 08:31 PM
It works okay as a cleaner because it is heavy with ammonia. The fumes are pretty heavy. Not bad for OTC, but I haven't found a metal polish that blows them all away.

Randy

daveinsweethome
10-14-2010, 11:16 PM
used it on billet wheels on a show truck. lots of elbow grease needed and the chemical high is not to be missed. looked fabulous

tuscarora dave
10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Poorboy's Pro Polish 2 works really well on metals like SS, chrome and aluminum.

BillyJack
10-15-2010, 12:01 AM
I tried it years ago after a favorable review by a cycle mag. Worked great on the scuffed bare aluminum cases on my bike, as well as the factory uncoated alloys on my "Vette. I preferred it to Simichrome or Flitz. It's capable of bringing up a great gloss with enough effort. Very gentle stuff so as not to scratch soft aluminum or plexiglass, maybe even too gentle for stainless or chrome. Using #0000 steel wool may very well reduce the effort necessary on harder metals. Meguiar's NXT Metal Polysh is highly recommended on other forums. It's the one I'm going to buy next.

Bill

spike
10-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks everyone. I really wanted to get NXT metal polysh, but I needed something I could get over the counter that might work just as well. I am concerned about the silicone coating of "protection" that the Blue Magic says it leaves behind. Does anyone know what kind of protection the NXT AMP leaves behind? If it is a superior product, I will order it (and take the Blue Magic back)...

IndeedSS
10-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks everyone. I really wanted to get NXT metal polysh, but I needed something I could get over the counter that might work just as well. I am concerned about the silicone coating of "protection" that the Blue Magic says it leaves behind. Does anyone know what kind of protection the NXT AMP leaves behind? If it is a superior product, I will order it (and take the Blue Magic back)...

I've used Blue Magic for years and never noticed any yellowing. It was, and still is, one of my favorites.

BillyJack
10-15-2010, 09:32 AM

Can I ask why you're so concerned about the "protection"? Virtually every similar product I've ever seen boasts that it leaves a protective coating to retard future corrosion or oxidation. I've used many over the years and certainly none IMO were an ultimate solution for long-term protection. I would always finish with a coat or two of wax as insurance.

Bill

spike
10-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Can I ask why you're so concerned about the "protection"? Virtually every similar product I've ever seen boasts that it leaves a protective coating to retard future corrosion or oxidation. I've used many over the years and certainly none IMO were an ultimate solution for long-term protection. I would always finish with a coat or two of wax as insurance.

Bill

I guess I'm just concerned about the one instance that I read about a silicone coating causing a yellowing of the metal over time...but I guess I'm going a bit overboard. I DO like that the polish has a protective coating, but I was worried that it would cause any kind of discoloration with time on my exhaust tips.

I've never really had to polish any metal on a vehicle before, and I don't want to screw it up! The 2005 Acura TL is the nicest car I've ever owned, and I'm just trying to be extra careful with my "baby" on what products I use on her!

Would Poorboys wheel wax work as a wax topper after I'm done polishing the exhaust tips?

BillyJack
10-15-2010, 11:10 AM
As I said earlier, I've used many metal polishes over the years. I wrench on an oval track sprint car, which has a multitude of bare, uncoated aluminum components including body panels, wings, suspension, wheels, even the motor. Sometimes in the off-season we'll get ambitious and polish up the pieces while the whole thing is disassembled. I've never noticed any yellowing on bare aluminum with any polish I've ever used, so I sure wouldn't worry about stainless or plated steel. Never used the PB wheel wax, so I can't help you there. I would guess that any wipe-on protective coating won't hold up for long, considering the exhaust heat.

Bill

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
10-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Blue Magic is the first metal polish i ever tried. Personally I think its pretty good stuff...I also really like Mothers (which is what i use most times now).

With blue magic I used it on alloy wheels and turned out really nice...the brake dust was also super easy to remove after...and ive never had any yellowing.

Id agree that most wax's wouldnt last long on an exhause tip because it gets SO hot...but it surely wouldn't hurt it. The smell is STRONG, everyone who said that is totally on the 1 with that lol....so make sure you've got air!

ScottB
10-15-2010, 09:23 PM
I find Optimums Optiseal works well at sealing metal after polishing, just order the Optiseal and NXT Metal Polish here and ship to your door !