PDA

View Full Version : Swirled Glass? Help!!!!

Excessive Detail
10-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Ive been searching the forum for topics about glass polishing, but cant really find what im looking for, so ill just ask. This is the second time it has happened to me, I used DP Glass Restorer and a rotary with an orange pad on like 2 or 3 to try and polish out water marks, and while it did remove the water spots, it also left very horrible and noticable swirl marks, only way I can explain it, hard to get a pic of to show, but it looks bad and I have no clue what I did, didnt, or should have done. Please someone help, any comments would be very helpful, idk... maybe no way to fix it, but worth a try. Thanks.

P.S. I have also tried usuing a white pad with the DP, also tried using M105 and 106 with either pad, white and orange, but still getting the same results, and neither have been able to fix the swirls.

JonMiles
10-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Have you tried a DA with a light cut like 205? If that doesn't solve the problem, I have had success with Gel Coat Labs (yes its a boat product) All in 1. It has a good cut but finishes near perfectly and leaves the surface sealed.

Kurt_s
10-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Interesting thread. I worked on a Ford Escape with severe vertical scratches in three windows from what I'm guessing is from sand in the rubber window moldings. I was thinking glass replacement but is there another alternative?

tuscarora dave
10-14-2010, 11:19 PM
As a last ditch effort if nothing else works, you can get cerium oxide in varying grits from coarse down to super fine powder. I've found it by the pound for less than $20 but it can get the glass pretty hot and cause warpage if you run your polisher too fast and too long in one spot.

Kurt_s
10-14-2010, 11:58 PM
As a last ditch effort if nothing else works, you can get cerium oxide in varying grits from coarse down to super fine powder. I've found it by the pound for less than $20 but it can get the glass pretty hot and cause warpage if you run your polisher too fast and too long in one spot.

Glass replacement seems to be the better option, at least for me.

tuscarora dave
10-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Glass replacement seems to be the better option, at least for me.
My car with the head up display has a $700 windshield. I would opt for the $20 tub of nano powder that is supposed to polish 25 windshields and try it before replacing. To each his own. :)