PDA

View Full Version : Claybar problem....

Pages : [1] 2 3

WRAPT C5Z06
10-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I decided to clay the Z before I add a new LSP. I'm using DP clay. The claybar has been relatively clean after I did a few panels. I ran my bare hands over the paint an it felt very smooth. However, when I tried the plastic baggy test, the paint definitely still felt gritty on all panels I clayed. I tried different techniques(push harder, work longer) to no avail. The Z is outside way more than it's in the garage. I drive it everyday, and it sits outside when I'm working. The only thing I can think of is because it's exposed to the elements a lot, I need a more aggressive claybar? The car has never been repainted.

ScottB
10-14-2010, 07:23 PM
I find DP's clay to be medium in design .. you could move to Megs Burgundy (aggressive) but not normally needed for a well kept ride like yours. Maybe the baggie has contaminents in it (smiling).

WRAPT C5Z06
10-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Clean plastic bag. It does see the elements a lot, so I'm thinking there's just a lot of embedded contaminants. I'm gonna try an aggressive clamber.:dunno:

Rob T
10-14-2010, 07:30 PM
I haven't tried the DP clay, but I can tell you that I have tried a lot of different clay bars and I have been disappointed with many of them. I always go back to Clay Magic. More expensive, but this is one of those things where you get what you pay for imo.

Dr Oldz
10-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Is it possible u have sap on your Z? I find some sap u can't get off with a clay bar.... Maybe IPA??

David Fermani
10-14-2010, 07:49 PM
The car has never been repainted.

Doesn't always mean a mist of overspray couldn't have reached it prior.

Keep in mind that if you go with a more aggresssive clay it could induce some heavy marring that coould result in the need for more aggressive polishing. Haven't you already polished your car before? Strange that that didn't knock out this problem then. It could be something like overspray that occured since then? What are the characteristics of this rough feeling? Is it super sharp bumps like overspray or more flat-wide like something else? Is it all over the vehicle(glass, wheels, trim), in one particular area or scattered?

Rob T
10-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Keep in mind that if you go with a more aggresssive clay it could induce some heavy marring that coould result in the need for more aggressive polishing. Haven't you already polished your car before? Strange that that didn't knock out this problem then. It could be something like overspray that occured since then? What are the characteristics of this rough feeling? Is it super sharp bumps like overspray or more flat-wide like something else? Is it all over the vehicle(glass, wheels, trim), in one particular area or scattered?

Good questions.

Also, try using the back side of your fingers instead of the baggie test. How does it feel?

WRAPT C5Z06
10-14-2010, 07:57 PM

There is no sign of overspray on the trim or glass. Yes, I've polished my car before, about 6 to 7 months ago. It feels like this on every panel. This is what leads me to believe it's embedded contaminants? I don't see how it could be overspray if it feels like this on every panel. I dunno, I have no clue? I was told not to go by the baggy test, just as long as the paint feels smooth with my bare hands. Don't know if this is true or not? Oh, the bumps feel more sharp I'd say, but they're all over. Generally speaking, should polishing with a compound remove overspray?

WRAPT C5Z06
10-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Also, try using the back side of your fingers instead of the baggie test. How does it feel?
With my bare hands it feels pretty smooth on both sides. When I use the baggy test, it's like night and day, I can feel little bumps all over. Very strange.

David Fermani
10-14-2010, 08:21 PM
There is no sign of overspray on the trim or glass.

That's interesting. Even with the baggie test? If so, that that could very well be a contaminant issue.

Yes, I've polished my car before, about 6 to 7 months ago.

I'm assuming you didn't do a baggie test then? Obviously something rather fresh. Strange that contaminants locked onto the surface that quick with how good you take care of your car? On top it still being there after you claying it now.

It feels like this on every panel. This is what leads me to believe it's embedded contaminants? I don't see how it could be overspray if it feels like this on every panel.

Overspray can do that too, especially if it's a constant super fine mist that has traveled quite a distance. But, because you say it's not on the glass that pushes me back to the contaminant theory.

I dunno, I have no clue? I was told not to go by the baggy test, just as long as the paint feels smooth with my bare hands. Don't know if this is true or not?

I hold the baggy test in high regard. It magnifies the things your bare hand can't come close to picking up. I've done the baggy test with countless customers for decades and it's a very effective tool. The only thing that is better is a magnifing glass/camera.

Oh, the bumps feel more sharp I'd say, but they're all over. Generally speaking, should polishing with a compound remove overspray?

Yes, even though it's not the best way of proceeding, compounding should remove the problem. Test a spot and feel it. Also consider a decon wash.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm assuming you didn't do a baggie test then?
Actually, yes I did. I had this problem before I polished the last time, I just never mentioned it. I've tried the Valugard Decon wash, didn't really help. Weird!!! The only thing I haven't tried is an aggressive claybar.

EDIT: I will try a test spot with M105 and the 3401 tomorrow.

jsgntulok
10-14-2010, 09:10 PM
This is interesting. When I recently detailed my 09 Avalon, paint felt real smooth to my bare hand but the "baggie" test revealed very fine particles on the paint surface. After claying a spot with Megs blue clay, I repeated the "baggie" test and still felt contaminants on the paint surface. After another pass with the clay, I had the same result with the "baggie." I decided to wipe the baggie over one of the towels used to remove the Megs Final Finish I use for lubricant. Tried the baggie test again and was delighted to find the finish was smooth. As someone suggested before, maybe your baggie is contaminated and needs to be cleaned.

CEE DOG
10-14-2010, 09:11 PM
That's interesting. Even with the baggie test? If so, that that could very well be a contaminant issue.

I'm assuming you didn't do a baggie test then? Obviously something rather fresh. Strange that contaminants locked onto the surface that quick with how good you take care of your car? On top it still being there after you claying it now.

Overspray can do that too, especially if it's a constant super fine mist that has traveled quite a distance. But, because you say it's not on the glass that pushes me back to the contaminant theory.

I hold the baggy test in high regard. It magnifies the things your bare hand can't come close to picking up. I've done the baggy test with countless customers for decades and it's a very effective tool. The only thing that is better is a magnifing glass/camera.

Yes, even though it's not the best way of proceeding, compounding should remove the problem. Test a spot and feel it. Also consider a decon wash.

Thanks for the informative post David!

WRAPT C5Z06
10-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the informative post David!
Dave is a veryyyyyy knowledgeable detailer, but that does without saying.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Come to think of it, I've been within 100-150 yards of a business where they're constantly spraying lacquer on wood furniture. The booth is indoors, but not enclosed, and there's a huge door that's always open. I've spent about 30 minutes there each time. Could the lacquer have traveled that far on landed on my paint?