PDA

View Full Version : cleaning sealant from pads

Pages : [1] 2

molarman
10-13-2010, 08:09 AM
is there a product to remove sealant from a pad? tried using dish soap, but didnt work well at alll

Shade Tree
10-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Have you tried light agitation with a brush and then either some Snappy clean or the dish soap once more? Warm water sometimes helps as well.

f150smith
10-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm sure many people will not agree with me and think there are better ways, but I use Paint Thinner on pads, especially those I used to apply Collinite Paste waxes. I put the thinner in a small bucket, let the pads soak for a while, wring as much of it out as I can then wash them with soap and rinse them til I no longer smell the paint thinner. And now I'll await the responses of the critics to my method.

Shade Tree
10-13-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm sure many people will not agree with me and think there are better ways, but I use Paint Thinner on pads, especially those I used to apply Collinite Paste waxes. I put the thinner in a small bucket, let the pads soak for a while, wring as much of it out as I can then wash them with soap and rinse them til I no longer smell the paint thinner. And now I'll await the responses of the critics to my method.

Hey man ........... if it works, it works.

How long have you used this method? Have you noticed any premature deterioration of the foam from the backing at all?

f150smith
10-13-2010, 09:21 AM
To date, I've not noticed any premature failure of the pads or other cleaning or dressing supplies using it. I've even used paint thinner to clean some of my old MF's that I use under the hood or on other nasty areas. You do need to make sure and wash the cleaner out well and the best way I've found to make sure is by the smell. If I smell paint thinner I wash them again.

SeaJay's
10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
A lot of people use different methods and different solutions to clean their pads. Right now I'm using dawn and water. I put all my pads in it and work some of the polish out that I can. Then I remove them, put new water in the bucket and let them soak over night. Then I'll rinse them well, get out as much of the water as I can by hand, then let them air dry.

I have some Snappy Clean powder that I got on the last BOGO from AG, so I'll probably be giving that a try this weekend.

Shade Tree
10-13-2010, 09:53 AM
To date, I've not noticed any premature failure of the pads or other cleaning or dressing supplies using it. I've even used paint thinner to clean some of my old MF's that I use under the hood or on other nasty areas. You do need to make sure and wash the cleaner out well and the best way I've found to make sure is by the smell. If I smell paint thinner I wash them again.

I wonder if mineral spirits would work the same.

I still use the Snappy Kleen soap

cnfowler
10-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Sealants are a nightmare to completely remove from the pads. I use an APC, usually Meguiar's, and apply it 4:1. I work in several applications with rinsing in between. This gets the majority of the sealant out, but not all of it.

The paint thinner idea is interesting. I don't usually apply waxes and sealants by machine so the hand applicators may benefit from this. If they get destroyed, they're cheap to replace.

Colin

Shade Tree
10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
I was wondering so I'll just come out & ask ............

why would you want to use a DA or anything other than hand or orbital (GEM) to apply a sealant? I typically apply using a GEM orbital or sometimes by hand, but it doesn't make any sense to me to use a DA to apply sealant since the polishing is completed before hand.

Is it just the fact that you're able to apply it more quickly with the DA? If so, look into using something like the GEM orbital w/ MF bonnets. Much easier and nearly as quick of a process. Besides, the bonnets are intended for exactly what you're using the pads for. :xyxthumbs:

f150smith
10-13-2010, 10:28 AM
To clarify, the Paint Thinner I have around now is from ACE and is 100% mineral spirits. I use my DA for everything now except for Souveran when I use it. For me the reasons are the speed, the ability to get better coverage, and the fact that it is easier on my 56 y/o shoulders that I have had several problems with over the years

Shade Tree
10-13-2010, 10:30 AM
To clarify, the Paint Thinner I have around now is from ACE and is 100% mineral spirits. I use my DA for everything now except for Souveran when I use it. For me the reasons are the speed, the ability to get better coverage, and the fact that it is easier on my 56 y/o shoulders that I have had several problems with over the years

I hear ya with the shoulders ......... I had a 2 level spinal fusion a few years ago that I am reminded of after a long day.

Thanks for the clarification. :props:

f150smith
10-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I hear ya with the shoulders ......... I had a 2 level spinal fusion a few years ago that I am reminded of after a long day.

Thanks for the clarification. :props:

I've also learned and nearly perfected the multiple day detail process. But then I only keep up our personal vehicles and don't do it for a living.

gewb
10-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I found IPA works well - I pour into/onto the pad but I don't "fill a bucket" - just get it soaked. Let sit a minute then gently work over with my finger (wearing nitrile gloves) - do this over a bucket! Once I think it's reasonably clean I squeeze it out well and wash with pad cleaner or dish soap. You will see the alchohol drip and pool with the color of your sealant.

Pad doesn't come out looking like new, but a whole lot better!

Regards,
GEWB

Silverstone
10-13-2010, 09:43 PM
I was wondering so I'll just come out & ask ............

why would you want to use a DA or anything other than hand or orbital (GEM) to apply a sealant? I typically apply using a GEM orbital or sometimes by hand, but it doesn't make any sense to me to use a DA to apply sealant since the polishing is completed before hand.

Is it just the fact that you're able to apply it more quickly with the DA? If so, look into using something like the GEM orbital w/ MF bonnets. Much easier and nearly as quick of a process. Besides, the bonnets are intended for exactly what you're using the pads for. :xyxthumbs:

I just did both of my cars with a PC this week for the first time and both seemed to come out better than by hand. I wasn't even expecting it, but the surface seems noticeably slicker that it ever did with hand application. It seems like there's more WG sealant on the paint this time. It always felt really good but now it's slippery like ice.

As for cleaning I used a strong mix of IPL sprayed heavily on the still wet pad this time before washing with Dawn, and it made the sealant come out a lot easier. It was almost straight 91% alcohol. The WG sealant came out thinner and more easily. I think you have to do it before the sealant dries though.

Previously I found that I had to use a LOT of Dawn. You have to keep adding more to the bucket or put it right on the pad. The sealant would kill the soap bubbles right away and leave a slime on everything. If the water stops sudsing you have to use more and more soap, but it eventually comes out like 95%. Next time try the IPL trick first, and then use Dawn. After IPL it took a lot less soap.

IID
10-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I just have pads that are dedicated for sealants.
That way if i'm unable to get all the sealant out of the pad,I won't contanimate other processes (non-LSP) with the same pad. :dunno: