PDA

View Full Version : Applying WG over Meg's

Palani
10-13-2010, 06:07 AM
After I apply Meg’s 105 & 205, can I then go ahead and apply WG’s Paint Polish and Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant over the Meg’s product, or should I clean the paint first with Griot’s Garage Paint Prep?

Note: I order the Meg's 105/205 to remove swirls and scratches that WG could not get out. I will be using my new Makita 9227C for the job.

The reason I am considering doing this is because my cars are a (2004 Honda and 2008 Corvette) and both are a maroon metallic color. From what I understand, the WG’s produces will look great on my cars?

Thanks.

satrianivia
10-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Assuming you mean wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer then it would be similar to the griots garage paint prep as it is a cleanser so i would just use the WG and then sealant

Kurt_s
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
After I apply Meg’s 105 & 205, can I then go ahead and apply WG’s Paint Polish and Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant over the Meg’s product, or should I clean the paint first with Griot’s Garage Paint Prep?

Note: I order the Meg's 105/205 to remove swirls and scratches that WG could not get out. I will be using my new Makita 9227C for the job.

The reason I am considering doing this is because my cars are a (2004 Honda and 2008 Corvette) and both are a maroon metallic color. From what I understand, the WG’s produces will look great on my cars?

Thanks.
I just use an IPA wipedown after using the final polish (205 in your case) to check my work and leave a clean surface, then apply the LSP (sealant or wax). You can certainly use the WG paintwork polish enhancer instead of the IPA to prep the paint for the sealant.

I have not used the WG spritz sealant, however I really like the WG deep gloss paint sealant 3.0. Paint is smooth and slippery, metallics pop, it has a little nuba look to it and beads for months. I had several people tell me that the paint feels like velvet over the weekend. The paint also washes clean easily and doesn't seem to collect as much dust as a wax.

CLipster
10-13-2010, 12:23 PM
What are the benefits for the IPA wipedown? Just asking.

thanks

Kurt_s
10-13-2010, 01:05 PM
What are the benefits for the IPA wipedown? Just asking.

thanks
No worries.

With some/many polishes and glazes, residual polish may end up in remaining swirls or scratches making the paint look completely corrected. Using an IPA wipedown will help remove the residual polish so you can see the effectiveness of your correction work. IPA can also help solubilize and remove tree sap before you clay, polish or wax.

Some people prefer 100% mineral spirits to 50+% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) to remove residual polish or old wax before the LSP.

Some cleaning/glaze products are designed to "fill" swirls and scratches so that the surface doesn't look swirled. You wouldn't use an IPA wipedown with those products. I used a hand glaze for many years to add depth and help hide defects, but as the wax wore off, the swirls would become more apparent.

Using products that hide swirls and defects are not inheritantly bad, as the car looks better for some period of time. Wax by itself settles into the scratches in the paint. I personally don't want to continously correct paint on my daily drivers, so a little subtle help is sometimes necessary.

CLipster
10-13-2010, 01:16 PM
so if i did the wash, clay, then megs uc and swirl x, powerlock and then coll845. with this combo would i have had better results doin a ipa wipedown?

It did turn out looking awesome, but just for future reference.

thanks

Kurt_s
10-14-2010, 12:27 PM
so if i did the wash, clay, then megs uc and swirl x, powerlock and then coll845. with this combo would i have had better results doin a ipa wipedown?

It did turn out looking awesome, but just for future reference.

thanks
Hard to say. If the results were awesome, it would be hard to improve upon.

If you now see swirls that your missed following correction, the an IPA wipedown might have helped you find them before the sealant and wax steps.

CLipster
10-14-2010, 12:39 PM
I just use an IPA wipedown after using the final polish (205 in your case) to check my work and leave a clean surface, then apply the LSP (sealant or wax).

For this what is it that you mix? I see like a 50/50 mix mentioned all the time. Was just wondering what is a good solution?

thanks

sorry you mentioned this earlier.

Kurt_s
10-14-2010, 01:53 PM
For this what is it that you mix? I see like a 50/50 mix mentioned all the time. Was just wondering what is a good solution?

thanks

sorry you mentioned this earlier.
Often used is 50% IPA in water, not a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol.

I bought 90% IPA at target and diluted it with DI water to 50% (I think I used 2/3 IPA and 1/3 Reverse Osmosis (equivalent to DI or distilled) water). It was cheaper to make 50% from 90% than using 70%. Some guys use the 70% IPA straight from the bottle, which is probably fine too. The 70% concentration should help solubilize tree sap faster and better.

I don't want to speak for Mike P but he seems to prefer 100% Mineral Spirits to IPA for wipedown when I read his recent post. Just don't use the water based MS (milky white ecological friendly). He seems to suggest that paint cleaners may be a better option as IPAs might haze the paint vs a compatable paint cleaner (Mike, I hope that I'm not mistating).

He also suggests to stay within the same brand/family of products when moving from polishes/cleaners to the LSP. For instance, if you are using WG sealant, use the WG Paint Enhancer. if you are using Pinnacle Wax, use the Pinnacle paint cleaner. If you are using Klasse sealant, use KAIO.

When I first used WG DGPS, I used the WG Twins to correct and polish then went directly to the sealant. It worked out very nicely as well. I understand that some sealants are more finicky than others.

Hope this helps!

CLipster
10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
hey, thanks.
i just had thought that the IPA wipedown might do more harm then good. but it sounds like it helps somewhat.

I will have to give a try the next time around.