PDA

View Full Version : Dark Gelcoat Boat Hull UV Protection

seacups
10-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm joining this forum to find the best information I can on keeping my boat looking new. I realize this is primarily an auto forum but my son (crash93ssei) convinced me that the folks on this forum would be able to help with some of my questions regarding maintaining my 2007 Rinker 320.

I live in Auburn Michigan so I have a short boating season (bad) but that does allow me time in the off season to do my own detailing. My biggest challange is protecting my black hull from UV. For the last two seasons, I've had to polish the entire hull to remove the "hazing" that occurs fromn the boat sitting in the marina all summer. After about 2 months in the water, the boat starts to look dull and dirty. I've been polishing and then sealing with Meguiar's sealant #21 2.0 but I don't think that is providing enough UV protection for the entire season.

What are the best products for keeping a dark gelcoat hull looking new?

dougaross
10-12-2010, 03:30 PM
You might look into Duragloss 501

ryandamartini
10-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Collinite Insulator Wax

Perfections
10-12-2010, 04:18 PM
AG sells meguiars marine, meguiars mirror glaze marine, marine wax (http://www.autogeek.net/memali.html) Which is good stuff or another company 4star sells Gelcoat compounds/polishes/sealants. There's 4star on AG but they only carry the automotive stuff you would have to go to 4star's website direct to see the boat stuff. Hope this helps a little, and welcome to the forums :xyxthumbs:

RTexasF
10-12-2010, 04:21 PM
I would give Aerospace 303 a try. I've had amazing results with it on boat hulls & sun surfaces (both light & dark colors). Where I live the boating season is all year long and the sun is relentless. SPF 40 means something on a black hull.
A sample of it and other products can be ordered from their site. If you like then order some from AG. The surface must be prepped first, true of any product you apply.

Lasthope05
10-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Look into boat sealers like Poli Glow, Vertglas, or NewGlass 2. They are coating you can apply that will seal the gel coat and protect it.

JonMiles
10-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I'd go with Gel Coat Labs All Marine Surface Sealant, it is polycharged and would last a long time.