PDA

View Full Version : 2007 4runner comes with dry leather ?

delikid
11-27-2006, 10:00 PM
We just bought my wife a new 2007 4runner limited. New as in only 78 miles on it. :)

This is my first experience with a new Toyota vehicle. Is all their new leather as dry as cardboard? :(

I first noticed the dryness going straight out of a sharp turn... you know how you let the steering wheel slide under you hand? It sounded and literally felt like cardboard! I was horrified - this is a brand new vehicle!!! :mad:

I've put a couple of coats of Meg's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner and the condition of the leather has improved greatly.

I've searched for info on this. But, I didn't find anything about it. Is this Toyota's standard new leather?

Thanks,

Ian

supercharged
11-28-2006, 01:42 AM
We just bought my wife a new 2007 4runner limited. New as in only 78 miles on it. :)

This is my first experience with a new Toyota vehicle. Is all their new leather as dry as cardboard? :(

I first noticed the dryness going straight out of a sharp turn... you know how you let the steering wheel slide under you hand? It sounded and literally felt like cardboard! I was horrified - this is a brand new vehicle!!! :mad:

I've put a couple of coats of Meg's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner and the condition of the leather has improved greatly.

I've searched for info on this. But, I didn't find anything about it. Is this Toyota's standard new leather?

Thanks,

Ian
Are you talking about steering wheel? If yes, it is obvious that steering wheel will not be made out of soft leather. If you are talking about vehicle's interior leather seats, then for sure you don't want to loose that new car smell. That's why I recommend using a high quality leather conditioner, like Pinnacle or Wolfgang. FIrst of all both conditioners offer a new leather smell, which means your leather will smell new longer. Second both condition leather pretty well, without leaving any grease, or shine.

The best I've used up to date.

Good luck.:cheers:

Kelso
11-28-2006, 12:24 PM
ive used it too, its pretty good but i prefer the shine on my leather bolsters so i use 303 protectant, but the WG is a good conditioner i use on other cars

delikid
11-28-2006, 01:29 PM
That's why I recommend using a high quality leather conditioner, like Pinnacle or Wolfgang. FIrst of all both conditioners offer a new leather smell, which means your leather will smell new longer. Second both condition leather pretty well, without leaving any grease, or shine

Well, I'm less concerned about 'new car smell' especially since that's just a scenting. I'm more concerned about the long-term care and condition of the leather. The Meg's has done a good job in taking care of my G35's leather. And it's workign it's magic on the 4runner. Thanks for the info on the Pinnacle & Wolfgang.

ryandamartini
11-28-2006, 03:54 PM
If the leather came dry from the factory, Ive heard great things about a product called Leatherique which is said to do wonders on leather rejuvination.

Surfer
11-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Funny you mentioned that, back a few years ago when I bought a new 03' V8 Mountaineer, I drove an 03' V8 4runner Limited and found the leather to feel weird, like it was hard vinyl or something. Liked the Mountaineer better so ended up with that, liked the way it drove, performance mods etc. The new 4Runners were nice though, so much better then the previous gen which was cramped and lethargic. I have a friend with the Sport Edition of the 4runner with cloth seats and they seem more comfortable then the leather for whatever reason.

You can try some of the above menitoned products like Leatherique. Are you talking just about the steering wheel, or the leather seats as well etc? Haven't used the WG/Pinnacle leather products yet but from what people have said their great.

ScottB
11-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Move to Leatherique

ryandamartini
11-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Move to Leatherique

Ugh, sorry, I couldve sworn AG sold it >_<

sparkie
11-28-2006, 07:49 PM
If you like cleaner and conditioner!
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1922_68556460

supercharged
11-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Well, I'm less concerned about 'new car smell' especially since that's just a scenting. I'm more concerned about the long-term care and condition of the leather. The Meg's has done a good job in taking care of my G35's leather. And it's workign it's magic on the 4runner. Thanks for the info on the Pinnacle & Wolfgang.
I used Meguiar's before. Not bad.
But once you try Pinnacle or Wolfgang, you will know what I mean.