PDA

View Full Version : My new "Go To Polish!"

Pages : [1] 2

Perfections
10-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I went this weekend to look at the shop that I'm going to be rebuilding as my detail shop and boy does it look like its going to be a lot of work! While looking around the inside I came across some polish and it looked old, but to my surprise I shook it up and poured some on the floor to see if it was separated and it wasn't! Anyone know anything about this stuff?

04Si
10-11-2010, 09:14 PM
From the makers of Astroglide, comes Astroshield :-)
From personal lubricant to personal polish

forrest@mothers
10-12-2010, 07:27 AM
It's been around forever. It is/was a very popular product in Florida years ago.

Setec Astronomy
10-12-2010, 07:59 AM
How did the floor come out?

BobbyG
10-12-2010, 08:29 AM
I think you might want to give it a try and report back with the results. Im the MAN

TroyScherer
10-12-2010, 08:48 AM
My dad keeps telling my stories of this stuff. He would apply it in direct sun after a full day of hauling. He swears that the finish it left was so slick NOTHING would stick. He said you could throw a bucket of sawdust over it and let is sit over night an literally blow it off the next day without an air compressor. He swears it was the slickest product he has ever used. We would love to get some and try it out.

C. Charles Hahn
10-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Astro Shield auto polish and glaze, the original Astro Shield auto polish (http://www.wipeoutsystems.com/astroshield.html)

Astro Shield works on cars, trucks, vans, airplanes, boats, buses,
tractors, house trailers and motorcycles.

Astro shield Will produce a long-lasting, superb brilliant, mirrorlike
finish on any nonporous surface.
Certified laboratory tests prove "after 270 hours of severe
weather tests Astro Shield had maximum gloss retention, was the
easiest to apply and provided highest initial gloss,
also Astro Shield demonstrated excellent water spotting
resistance." Completely safe for all clearcoat finishes

Product Features
Coats your vehicle with a clear, hard, smooth,
and mirror-like finish
Will not crack, chip, peel, or turn yellow
Safe for use on today's clear coats, gel coats, acrylics, metal
flakes, candy apples, pearls, plastic paints, epoxies, urethanes
Protection against normal road, atmospheric,
and other sources of pollution, dirt
Retards oxidation of painted metals and fiberglass

Setec Astronomy
10-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Hm...clear, hard, smooth, will not crack, chip, peel, or turn yellow...it DOES sound good for floors!

PS Where can I get a bucket of sawdust to keep in my garage for checking slickness? And should I keep it next to my bucket of propwash?

BillyJack
10-12-2010, 10:37 AM
About 30 years ago I bought a book "Secrets of Show Cars", with restoration tips and tricks. Much of the information was gathered from owners of nationally-ranked restored Corvettes. Astro-Shield was the predominant favorite polish. The concept presented was that any wax or coating applied to paint actually reduced its reflective quality, according to the purists. Never tried it myself, as I was very satisfied with Meguiar's #7 as a polish. I guess it would be OK for a trailer queen, but I just feel better if I believe there's some some kind of protective layer between my paint and the elements.

Bill

TroyScherer
10-12-2010, 11:28 AM
PS Where can I get a bucket of sawdust to keep in my garage for checking slickness? And should I keep it next to my bucket of propwash?

Well he used to drive a semi-truck that delivered feed to the large chicken farms around ohio. There was a never ending supply of dust and dirt that would fly up and try to cover his truck.

Perfections
10-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I left the container sitting in the shop which is about 5 hours from my house :( I'll surely try it out and let you guys know what I think although since you can't buy it anymore that kinda stinks. The shop was used by a guy that restored cars and judging by the pictures I saw laying around the shop did great work. I mainly posted this as a joke due to the old container although the inside of the container didn't have any rust that I could see and when I get back to the shop in 6 weeks I'll pour the rest of the polish into a fine strainer just to be sure nothings in it and test it on my wife's car first :xyxthumbs:

forrest@mothers
10-12-2010, 05:09 PM
although since you can't buy it anymore that kinda stinks....

It's no longer made due to the reduced VOC requirements.
Wax Shop was another victim of reduced VOC's, if anyone remembers them.

Perfections
10-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Forrest, the VOC's for astro shield are to high? Do you think its safe to use the product? I'm wanting to test it out :)

Rob T
10-12-2010, 10:43 PM

The issue of reduced VOC's and the number of companies that fell victim to those requirements, and even the reduced effectiveness of some products, could be the subject of much debate and deserving of its own thread..

builthatch
10-12-2010, 10:49 PM

The Wax Shop...the guy who "showed me the way" as a rep in the automotive aftermarket used to rep them in the '90s. Xylene for everyone!