PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Speed Master?

WRAPT C5Z06
10-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Is the stem sturdier than the EZ Detail brush stem(POS)?

loudog2
10-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Yes! I have had mine for over a year and it hasn't broke. I even bought a second one just in case it was like the EZ. The second one is still in the packaging on my shelf.

Dwayne
10-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Here's the word straight from Max himself regarding the Dayton Speed Master Wheel Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html), straight from Autogeek.net

The Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush. This advanced wheel brush has everything you want in a quality detail brush and much more. The staff and I at Palm Beach Motoring studied all the various brushes on the market and compared their pros and cons. Ultimately I took our wish list for the perfect wheel brush to Dean Henderson at EZ Detail Brush, Inc. Dean had already created the ultimate motorcycle detailing brush with the EZ Detail Brush. With a few modifications, I knew we could create the ultimate auto detail brush.

Dean manufactured the Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush to my exact specifications, right down to the hot rod red bristles. In addition, the Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush has a thicker, reinforced stem. It maintains its flexibility but the new stem is more rugged for frequent use on auto wheels. The bristles are slightly feathered on the ends to gently clean delicate wheel finishes, such as coated or plated wheels, without scratching.

Emile
10-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Is the stem sturdier than the EZ Detail brush stem(POS)?
Yes, but the bristles are softer so it's harder for them to remember their original position and they are very floppy when soaking in soap and water. Still works great, but EZ Detail and Daytona each have their own pros and cons.

Emile
10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Yes! I have had mine for over a year and it hasn't broke. I even bought a second one just in case it was like the EZ. The second one is still in the packaging on my shelf.
Hey loudog. I'm with you, I always need backup versions of EZ Detail Brush...mine was just shredding too many bristles this week-end so I tossed it. Always need a 2nd and 3rd backup of EZ Detail. Daytona seems to hold up better, I just don't care for the softer bristles.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Yes, but the bristles are softer so it's harder for them to remember their original position and they are very floppy when soaking in soap and water. Still works great, but EZ Detail and Daytona each have their own pros and cons.
So, lets take both brand new, do you feel the EZ detail brush is more effective in cleaning?

Kurt_s
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Mark,

I now own the Daytona and Mini brushes, but not the EZ. Bristles are softer than the Tampico bristle brush that I used to buy. The wire seems to be reasonably stiff, unlike the Lattner spoke brush that lasted maybe 2 months. I don't bend the wire of the brushes so they should hold up well for me except the handle is way too slick when wet. The handle is too thin and needs texture.

I may have found a source for the tampico bristle spoke brush that I liked (SM Arnold Professional Spoke Wheel Brush). The stiffer and narrower cone bristles allow me to scrub the barrels of the wheel better than the Daytona (I removed significantly more brake dust grime with the Tampico brush immediately after using the Daytona, although maybe reinserting the Daytona I would have gotten more off too). They also fit the cross-x BBS style bimmer wheels better than the big Daytona which splatters cleaner all over me when pulling the bristles from within the cross hatches.

I still need to try the Sonax and P21 gel wheel cleaners, which may improve cleaning ability vs the Diablo gel that I've been using. It may make the stiffer bristles advantage moot. The Daytona seems to be a fine spoke brush for wide rim openings, but the bristles are a bit long for my BBS rims and the mini seems to be a little short in length.

That's my 2 cents...

WRAPT C5Z06
10-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Mark,

I now own the Daytona and Mini brushes, but not the EZ. Bristles are softer than the Tampico bristle brush that I used to buy. The wire seems to be reasonably stiff, unlike the Lattner spoke brush that lasted maybe 2 months. I don't bend the wire of the brushes so they should hold up well for me except the handle is way too slick when wet. The handle is too thin and needs texture.

I may have found a source for the tampico bristle spoke brush that I liked (SM Arnold Professional Spoke Wheel Brush). The stiffer and narrower cone bristles allow me to scrub the barrels of the wheel better than the Daytona (I removed significantly more brake dust grime with the Tampico brush immediately after using the Daytona, although maybe reinserting the Daytona I would have gotten more off too). They also fit the cross-x BBS style bimmer wheels better than the big Daytona which splatters cleaner all over me when pulling the bristles from within the cross hatches.

I still need to try the Sonax and P21 gel wheel cleaners, which may improve cleaning ability vs the Diablo gel that I've been using. It may make the stiffer bristles advantage moot. The Daytona seems to be a fine spoke brush for wide rim openings, but the bristles are a bit long for my BBS rims and the mini seems to be a little short in length.

That's my 2 cents...
Thanks for the informative info, Kurt. I have wide wheel openings, so the Daytona/EZ works fine for me.

On a side note, as far a wheel cleaners, I recently tried Sonax wheel cleaner. While it cleans very well, since I clean my wheels weekly, CG Diablo gel is more than sufficient for me. I also like how Diablo foams up when agitated, I did not get that with Sonax. If I detail a car with heavy break dust, I'll use optimum power clean(straight), which cleans just as well as Sonax(I compared), and is safe on all wheels. Sonax is a great wheel cleaner, it's just too expensive, IMO.