PDA

View Full Version : Griot's 3" vs Using 4" with PC

dbbrooks
10-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Just curious if anyone thinks having the Griot's 3" is really an advantage over using 4" with a PC7424.

matth9
10-10-2010, 09:48 AM
The only advantage is it's smaller, lighter and convenient to not have to switch out your backing plate. It's nice to have, but not nearly as effective as a DA would be

TLMitchell
10-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Just curious if anyone thinks having the Griot's 3" is really an advantage over using 4" with a PC7424.

The GG 3" is handy if you're going to have both polishers, if you're only gonna have 1 I vote for the PCXP. The 3" is handy in tight spots or for one-handed operation where you have to reach, like under a front or rear valance. You can get some correction out of it, but a PC with a 3 or 4" pad will put it to shame.

In addition to use on motorcycles I use the 3" GG the most for spreading wax and sealants with a 4" pad. You can really go to town one-handed with a lightweight tool for that application.

TL

Al D
10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I faced the same choice. When I saw the limited pads available for the 3" I went with the PC. I got the 2-7/8" backing plate for 3" pads and 3-1/2" for 4" pads.
Now I have the best of both worlds.
The GG 3" was smaller and lighter, but when I saw how much less power the motor had, I went with the Porter Cable. Glad I did.
Al