PDA

View Full Version : My First Time

r1racer
10-09-2010, 07:28 PM
So I have an Audi and I knew going into my first paint correction that the clear coat was hard but DAMMM NNNN! Fortunately for me the paint is in good condition everywhere except the roof.

I started this morning at 11am and didn't finish until 6pm. And this was just a one step polish and seal. I did a couple newbie moved with the PC too which didn't help matters. Also it took me a while to get into my groove.

Anyway, I used the PC and megs ultimate compound with yellow and orange pads. I have megs 205 but found that I didn't need it so I just sealed with DP. The paint looks brand new (darker/richer/clearer) everywhere except the roof. I still can't get those dammn water etchings out on the roof though. I may need to redo or step up to something more abrasive. I am just a little concerned that I will have to remove most if not all of the clear in order to fix this. What to you guys think?

Shade Tree
10-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Did you happen to clay the finish before polishing?

Have you tried distilled white vinegar to remove the etchings?

First wash your car with your normal car shampoo, rinse, and then use the distilled vinegar. Just wipe it on with a sponge, and rub it in. Do one section at a time. Let it sit 30 to 60 seconds, and then rinse. When you're done, wash the car again with shampoo, and then rinse. By the way, vinegar will remove your wax, so be prepared to re-wax your car after the vinegar treatment.

r1racer
10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Yes I clayed after washing. I guess I'll try the vinegar and see what happens. Will keep u posted. Here's a pic of the finished product...

Rsurfer
10-11-2010, 06:38 PM
So I have an Audi and I knew going into my first paint correction that the clear coat was hard but DAMMM NNNN! Fortunately for me the paint is in good condition everywhere except the roof.

I started this morning at 11am and didn't finish until 6pm. And this was just a one step polish and seal. I did a couple newbie moved with the PC too which didn't help matters. Also it took me a while to get into my groove.

Anyway, I used the PC and megs ultimate compound with yellow and orange pads. I have megs 205 but found that I didn't need it so I just sealed with DP. The paint looks brand new (darker/richer/clearer) everywhere except the roof. I still can't get those dammn water etchings out on the roof though. I may need to redo or step up to something more abrasive. I am just a little concerned that I will have to remove most if not all of the clear in order to fix this. What to you guys think?
Can't tell too much by the picture. This is where a PTG comes in handy. Did you own this car since new? If so, you can more than likely compound with a pc with no problems. Try the vinegar first and if that doesn't work, you can try a water spot remover (MX7 for paint). Next would be 105 and the last resort would be wet sanding.

Shade Tree
10-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Where's the pic?

Old Tiger
10-11-2010, 06:58 PM
I had Acid Rain etching on a Cosmic Blue SAAB 9-3 Ragtop. I found a great body repair guy who wet sanded it for me. He had a paint tthickness meter.. I paid him $300 but it was well worth it. You may need to resort to wet sanding.

r1racer
10-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Can't tell too much by the picture. This is where a PTG comes in handy. Did you own this car since new? If so, you can more than likely compound with a pc with no problems. Try the vinegar first and if that doesn't work, you can try a water spot remover (MX7 for paint). Next would be 105 and the last resort would be wet sanding.

I used megs ultimate compound with a yellow ccs pad on the roof about 3 times per section. It looks better under natural light than before but still very noticeable under the flourescent lighting.

Should I keep compounding if the vinegar doesn't work?

Here's a pic of the finished product taken with an iphone (looks better in person):

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr204/r111racer/car-1.jpg

Rsurfer
10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I used megs ultimate compound with a yellow ccs pad on the roof about 3 times per section. It looks better under natural light than before but still very noticeable under the flourescent lighting.

Should I keep compounding if the vinegar doesn't work?

Here's a pic of the finished product taken with an iphone (looks better in person):

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr204/r111racer/car-1.jpg
There is a limit to how much you can compound. Do you feel its safe? Anyone that you know that has a PTG? If you feel its safe, why not move up to Meg's 105.

r1racer
10-12-2010, 11:22 AM
There is a limit to how much you can compound. Do you feel its safe? Anyone that you know that has a PTG? If you feel its safe, why not move up to Meg's 105.

Not sure if it's safe or not but it took two rounds of polishing before I started seeing some of the clearcoat come off (those little grains). By the third round I saw a small amount of paint on the pad. So, I'm thinking another round wouldn't hurt I guess. I'm no pro...you guys would no more than me.

I only had ultimate compound at the time so that's what I used. I guess I'll order a bottle of 105 if you all think it's ok. My question is if the compounding didn't completely work (although it did help), should I even bother with the vinegar as it doesn't seem as though vinegar will do much for my problem?