PDA

View Full Version : help me with my detailing project? pls

mikek753
10-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi all,

I'd like to restore my 2 cars on budget.
I’m not a pro and don’t do it for living, just want DIY to save some buck or two.

Cars (10 years old green pearl and 6 years old gray metallic I think pearl ) have some scratches, dings / dents and ton of swirls, old tar / bird marks.
I'd like to make it as good as I can.
I don't plan to do anything to dings - not sure what I can do to those parking dings :buffing: - I tried glue gun method ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdVpvL_FpoQ]YouTube - Remove Car Dents Quickly & Easily![/video]) and it didn't help at all.

What I have so far to get started with scratch repair:
1. wet sand papers 1000, 2000 grit
2. touch up paint (for each car) pen
3. prime (white) paint
4. clear cote paint pen
5. Rust-oleum wax & tar remover (for use before & after sanding)
What I have for polish & wax:
1. Griots 6” DA
2. Bon-Aire RP120CN 120 Volt Automotive Orbital Wax and Polish Power Buffer with Adjustable Handles (Bonus Pack: 10 Wax Applicator and Polishing Bonnets Included)
3. Just 1 griots 6” orange polishing pad
4. Mothers clay bar & showtime
5. Griots clay & Speed shine
6. Mothers Pre-wax cleaner
7. Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound (UC)
8. Meguiar’s NXT tech wax 2
9. Griots One step sealant
10. Many terry & microfiber towels

For later:
1. Meg UQW
2. Meg UQD

What parts I’m missing to get my project done?
I think I’ll need more pads, but which one to buy? I think I need 6” or 6.5” pads

I know those might not be the best, but that what I have and I don’t plan to buy better replacement chemicals till I run out of those – think budget.

Process #1 for deep scratch / dings / chips restore:
1. Wash & dry car – 15 – 30 min
2. Apply Rust-oleum wax & tar remover to scratches 1-5 min
3. Wet sand 1000 & 2000 grit to remove not main paint 1+ min
4. If I see metal apply filler – try to make it even – 5 min
5. Wait for filler 1 hour
6. Apply prime paint and wait 30 min and apply again and another 30 min wait
7. Apply touch up paint and wait 1 hour and apply another touch up paint and wait for 4 hours
8. Wet sand 2000 grit – 1+ min
9. Apply Meg UC to orange pad and polish scratch area for 1 – 5 min till see my reflection
10. Apply clear coat paint and wait for 1 hour and apply one more coat and wait for 10 hours
11. Wet sand 2000 grit – 1+ min
12. Apply Meg UC to orange pad and polish scratch area for 1 – 5 min till see my reflection
13. Wait for a month before apply Wax to restored area

I think this will take 2 – 3 days to get to # 13, while I keep car in garage – no driving.

Process #2 for polish & wax:
1. Wash & dry car – 15 – 30 min
2. Mother or Griots Clay bar with appropriate solution to keep it wet – 1+ hour
3. Terry or microfiber towel to clean – 5 min
4. Not sure if I should use Mother Pre-Wax Cleaner or Meg UC to apply on orange pad and use DA to polish whole car ? do in 20” – 30” squares – 30+ min
5. Terry or microfiber towel to clean – 5 min
6. Not sure if I should use Meguiar’s NXT tech wax 2 or Griots One step sealant?
7. Not sure if I should apply sealant / wax it by hands or use DA or 10” random orbital buffer?
8. Not sure if I should remove by hand with microfiber towel or use DA or 10” buffer with artificial wool

I plan to start with process #1 and do it once or when it’ll be needed as it applies to small and specific area only
I plan to do process #2 twice / year
As you can see I’m not tight to any brand and open to any product that has best ROI ;-)
Please, tell me what I’m missing or what is wrong with my process or planning?
Any links to video or tutorials or what to buy for any of my steps are very welcome.

Feed back please

p.s. sorry for so long post.

#1 geek
10-11-2010, 11:35 PM
you didn't mention where you're getting your touchup paint from - I have heard good things about Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Touch Up Accessories (http://www.automotivetouchup.com) but I haven't had the chance to try them. Have you?

JonMiles
10-12-2010, 12:03 AM
What exactly are you working on? Pics please.

That seems like a major project and the time it is going to take will be alot more than you may expect. Plan on polishing out sanding marks taking a while since you will not be using a rotary or flex. It sounds like you have some deep scratches in your paint, and you might consider the Dr colorchip kit. It suprisingly work very well for extremely neglected paint. Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair, repair paint chips, touch-up paint, Doctor Color-Chip Paint Chip Repair (http://autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair.html)

mikek753
10-12-2010, 01:02 AM
yes, I ordered from Automotivetouchup
yes, I'll take and add pics when I start.
So far I'm in planning and getting all parts / tools I need.

I don't know if need more pads and what kind for polishing.