PDA

View Full Version : ONR and Claying?

dennisi01
10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Hey all,

I know that ONR can be used as a clay lube, but my question is, could you clay the car as you wash it with ONR, or should it be washed, dried, then clayed? I suppose the real question would be if ONR leaves any dirt/debris on the vehicle, and if it is the act of drying that actually lifts this debris away?

thanks!

Dennis

Mike Phillips
10-08-2010, 09:11 AM
This question comes up a lot on all forums and the short answer is, some detailers will wash the car and rinse it to remove all the loosened dirt and abrasive particles and then while the paint is still wet use their soapy wash water as the lubricant and quickly clay the paint and then rinse and dry.

This saves drying the car only to get it wet again during the claying process with your clay lube.

The problem is if you don't get all the dirt particles thoroughly rinsed off the car then picking up just one abrasive particle into the clay could mean scratches throughout all the panels clayed.

I've seen horror stories from people that have tried this and not been successful and I've watched production detail shops do this as a standard procedure.

:)

dennisi01
10-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks Mike! It seems like the prudent thing to do here for a novice like me would be to follow the addage 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' and take my time and do it right, instead of trying to cut corners, at least until I know what I'm doing :)

04 silver tbird
10-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Ok silly me what is ONR?

Double Dizzle
10-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Ok silly me what is ONR?
Optimum No Rinse wash.

newb001
10-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey all,

I know that ONR can be used as a clay lube, but my question is, could you clay the car as you wash it with ONR, or should it be washed, dried, then clayed? I suppose the real question would be if ONR leaves any dirt/debris on the vehicle, and if it is the act of drying that actually lifts this debris away?

thanks!

Dennis

Also remember that the clay lube ratio is stronger than the wash ratio, so if doing it all in one step, you'd probably want to strengthen your wash ratio to match the lube ratio (or have a separate lube bottle ready to spray on). As a fellow newbie though, I washed/clayed in separate steps to be on the safe side.