PDA

View Full Version : Considering Forum Favorite Kit

T.Allyn
10-08-2010, 12:11 AM
I've read on several forums that Klasse is better for dark colors then Zaino, due to apparently Zaino creating shadows IIRC that drown out the paint color.

Since the price is so good on the 'Forum Favorit Kit' I'm considering the forum favorite kit tomorrow.

My current 01 Mazda MX-5 Miata that I'm selling is red, but would Klasse also be good on a light color like a light grey or silver, because I'm hoping that I find a light grey or silver Subaru Forester to replace the Miata and if I invest in this kit I would want to use it on the new vehicle also.

**Edit** Now I'm actually considering the $159 Porter Cable combo, because frankly I really want the the Porter Cable DA. Since the only.

What do you all think?

-Tom

Shane731
10-08-2010, 12:28 AM
I think the Klasse combo looks great on light colors. Our beige 1990 Honda Accord is wearing a coat of Klasse AIO and 3 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze right (applied over the course of a week and a half) and from the right angle, it looks like a liquid pool. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't.

T.Allyn
10-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Then again perhaps I should buy the Forum Favorite kit this month and next month buy the Porter Cable or the Griots 6'?

Decisions...Decisions!

Shane731
10-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the quick reply...but I edited my post while you were replying...

What do you think of the $159 Porter Cable Combo Kit instead as I'd really like to get the DA and I can only afford that much max plus shipping.

Then again perhaps I should buy the Forum Favorite kit this month and next month buy the Porter Cable or the Griots 6'?

Decisions...Decisions

Personally, I'd save my money and get a Flex 3401 VRG. That's what I'm working on doing. I hope to get one next Detail Fest. I have the Meguiar's G110v2, and while I have only gotten to use a Flex a handful of times, I would give up my DA for one in a heartbeat. Plus, I have never heard anybody say one bad thing about the Flex.

Shane731
10-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Drat - either you're editing too fast or I'm replying too fast - I'm not sure which. :laughing:

Setec Astronomy
10-08-2010, 06:42 AM
I've read on several forums that Klasse is better for dark colors then Zaino, due to apparently Zaino creating shadows IIRC that drown out the paint color.

Huh?? How can an LSP create shadows? Klasse is a good product; Zaino is a good product. Most of your look is going to come from your prep work, not from your LSP. I'll tell you what, let me put KSG on half your car, and Z-2 on the other half, if you can tell which half has which LSP, I'll give you a dollar (yeah, I know I'm being cheap, but heck, you're using MY LSP, plus you have a 50-50 chance of getting it right).

T.Allyn
10-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies I really appreciate it.

Huh?? How can an LSP create shadows? Klasse is a good product; Zaino is a good product. Most of your look is going to come from your prep work, not from your LSP. I'll tell you what, let me put KSG on half your car, and Z-2 on the other half, if you can tell which half has which LSP, I'll give you a dollar (yeah, I know I'm being cheap, but heck, you're using MY LSP, plus you have a 50-50 chance of getting it right).

Interesting...This sound to me like its coming from someone with a lots of experience, knowledge, and skill.

24 years ago I had a mobile vinyl and leather repair business working mostly on high end European car dealer lots and insurance work, but the truth is I hated it. After 5 years I went back to a vocational school and got a Government job that I will have been doing for 17 years next month.

During those years I met a lot of professional Detailers and the one thing I remember is everyone of them used Port Cable. I have wanted a Poter Cable all these years so I'll be getting one soon.

So what do you all think should I go for the 'Forum Favorite Kit' this month and get the Porter Cable next month or should I get the $159 Porter Cable kit? Do you think I would likely be as satisfied with the products that come the Porter Cable $159 as the products in the 'Forurm Favorite.' With my lack of skill and knowledge would I be able to tell the difference between the results I'd get with either.

Right now I love the results I've gotten by hand with Duragloss CCP and DG AW on my red car, but I'm certain it could be better as I can still see a few small scratches and water spots, but not close to what was there before using the DG CCP. Right now my priority is to make my car look as good as I possibly can to sell it for what I want for it A.S.A.P... so I can purchase a Subaru Forester. It this matters I really like a deep wet look.

Mike Phillips
10-08-2010, 08:47 AM
During that years I met a lot of professional Detailers and the one thing I remember is everyone of them used Porter Cable.

The Porter Cable and now the Meguiar's and Griot's versions have made lots of headway into the professional detailing world in the last 20 years and this trend will continue probably at a faster rate with new technology continually being introduced for these types of tools.

Definitely get a Porter Cable if you're wanting to move up to machine polishing and then add a few quality polishes and pads to go with it.

If you haven't already, check out this article, lots of information...

The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-rotating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html)

DA Polishers with Free Rotating Spindle Assemblies

From left to right...
Porter Cable 7424XP - Meguiar's G110v2 - Griot's Garage ROP - Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/740/FreeRotatingSpindleAssemblies001.jpg

Close-ups...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/740/FreeRotatingSpindleAssemblies002.jpghttp://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/740/FreeRotatingSpindleAssemblies003.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/740/FreeRotatingSpindleAssemblies004.jpghttp://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/740/FreeRotatingSpindleAssemblies005.jpg

More articles in my Sig Line...

:)

T.Allyn
10-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Mike-Thanks for all that information...I've definitely decided I really want to go with a DA after reading that and watching a couple videos.

I just used your chat service and that was just going a little to slow for me. So I tried to call and only realized with the 3 hour time difference you all are likely at lunch right now so no one was available. No big deal everyone has to eat...but I have a doctor's appoint I need to take my 83 year old mother too since she can't drive so hopefully you can answer my questions here.

However I need a little help. I can probably pull together about $200, but even at that none of your Porter Cable Kits come with any Polishes, Waxes, etc. until I step up to about $260. So I'd like to know if what I have with maybe a couple additions would be good enough to start with.

I'm thinking about by the Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher Combo Free Bonus Item # PC-7424-SPDXP.

I already have the:

-Megs Ultimate Compound
-Duragloss CCP
-Duragloss AW

My 01 Mazda Miata is red and has some lite swirl marks and still a few water spots after applying all the above by hand.

Is there any specific wax, glazes, sealer or...that I should add to what I already have that would give me the results I'm looking for...and still stay within a total of $200 with the Porter Cable kit listed above?