PDA

View Full Version : Door Jams or Sills

CLipster
10-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I plan on doing the exterior of the car this weekend, what is a suggested method to protect the door jams or sills?

Would just a spray detailer do the trick or would I seal and wax like I would the rest of the car?

thanks.

Finemess
10-07-2010, 01:14 PM
I use up the bottom of the bottle stuff on doors. Or the stuff I dont care for on the body.

CEE DOG
10-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I seal the door jambs but no wax. It doesn't see things like bugs and bird bombs that the exterior sees so I'm not protecting against as many factors. I say seal rather then wax because dust and crap stick to wax easier then they do sealant. I was having some slight scratching issues from my weatherseal on the bottom of my door scratching the paint on the bottom jamb over time. I've been using Klasse HGSG to seal my door jambs since then.

Dubbin1
10-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I do the same thing as Corey and for the same reasons.

Old Tiger
10-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Spray DG AW directly on the jams. Wipe what you can. What you cant wipe will dry clear! I learned thos from Resurfer and I dont want credit I dont deserve!

DARK HORSE
10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I seal the door jambs but no wax. It doesn't see things like bugs and bird bombs that the exterior sees so I'm not protecting against as many factors. I say seal rather then wax because dust and crap stick to wax easier then they do sealant. I was having some slight scratching issues from my weatherseal on the bottom of my door scratching the paint on the bottom jamb over time. I've been using Klasse HGSG to seal my door jambs since then.

I do the same thing as Corey and for the same reasons.

^^ + 3, but I do wipe down with Soveran spray wax after washing and in between sealant applications...It also dries clear and can be misted into areas that can't be reached for wiping.

Glad too see you put that HGSG to a good use as well Corey:props:

Old Tiger
10-08-2010, 07:28 AM
^^ + 3, but I do wipe down with Soveran spray wax after washing and in between sealant applications...It also dries clear and can be misted into areas that can't be reached for wiping.

Glad too see you put that HGSG to a good use as well Corey:props:
Tad I didnt know the Pinnacle Spray Wax dried clear too. Thanks friend! I love the Pinnacle but DG is much more cost effective for this app. But cost never factors into my equation and Im sure not yours either!

Make it shine!
10-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Corey and Dwayne nailed it on the head!! I have some M21 that I don't use that much anymore so its used on the door jams exclusivly now.

Mike Phillips
10-08-2010, 08:00 AM
I plan on doing the exterior of the car this weekend, what is a suggested method to protect the door jams or sills?

Would just a spray detailer do the trick or would I seal and wax like I would the rest of the car?

thanks.

What I've always used is an ordinary cleaner/wax, this way you clean, polish and protect in one step.

Easy wipe-off, nice shine and protected and sealed paint for easier wiping in the future.

:)

MI Mike
10-08-2010, 09:28 AM
What I've always used is an ordinary cleaner/wax, this way you clean, polish and protect in one step.

Easy wipe-off, nice shine and protected and sealed paint for easier wiping in the future.

:)

For those of us that experience salt, snow and sand-salt mix. I would give everything a coat of your favorite Collinite wax on top of whatever you put down first. Hit the area's you cannot reach with the Duragloss AW. Keep the vehicle clean and hope and wish for a mild winter and Spring 2011. A little TLC now will help come Spring.

SeaJay's
10-08-2010, 09:44 AM
For those of us that experience salt, snow and sand-salt mix. I would give everything a coat of your favorite Collinite wax on top of whatever you put down first. Hit the area's you cannot reach with the Duragloss AW. Keep the vehicle clean and hope and wish for a mild winter and Spring 2011. A little TLC now will help come Spring.

Couldn't agree more! I hate winter...minimal detailing...

William D.
10-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I just wash/detail them. they rarely ever see the sun, and only for about 2-3 seconds at a time, so I don't worry about it. I may put some wax on them if the mood strikes me.

The door jams of my 1977 Continental have never been waxed, and [the paint] still looks new.

Bunky
10-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I just use a detailer like Mothers Showtime to maintain door and trunk jambs. It works better than ONR QD to me. A spray wax works if they are clean. It is easier to maintain.