PDA

View Full Version : can't decide on what to buy, help

Flyboy
11-26-2006, 10:29 PM
i created some horrible swirls/scratches in my clearcoat (i have tested that they aren't thru the clear) at a pay and spray carwash, i already know what i shouldn't have done, so no need to bring it up, thanks!!!!

anyway i am trying to decide between Pinnacle XMT or Sonus products, both appear to do the same thing, anyone here used both?

the pads at autogeek looks like they are higher quality and there are more choices than on autopia so i will be getting the pads here no matter what, it is just the polish that confuses me most

i am also not sure if i need a #3 polish or if the #2 and then #1 will cover me (sonus reverses those numbers but the same question still applies). how do i know, or is it just trial and error? i am thinking just a #2 will work fine, and i am scared or cutting thru my clearcoat since the paint on my Buick Regal is fairly thin to start with

i already have Klasse AIO and SG so i will be using those when i am done but i am not sure what pads to use when applying them, and can i use the microfiber bonnets to remove it or is it best to do it by hand?

wytstang
11-26-2006, 10:51 PM
I'll let those who have more experience speak of the product you ask, but I will throw this up in the air for food for thought. Even on autopia I have yet to see (at least recently) any body doing a review or on their "click and brag" mention using Sonus swirl removers (or much of any sonus products really). Not that they aren't good as I have no experience but that alone to me says something. And from my understanding XMT #3 is equvilant to Poorboys SSR2.5 with less dusting. .02

Flyboy
11-26-2006, 11:02 PM
yeah, i have no idea what Poorboy SSR2.5 is.....this will be my first experience with the PC 7424 as well

i have my mind set now i think on the XMT line, just unsure of #2 or #3, if #2 isn't enough i can always got for a second pass, right?

ltoman
11-26-2006, 11:05 PM
yeah, i have no idea what Poorboy SSR2.5 is.....this will be my first experience with the PC 7424 as well

i have my mind set now i think on the XMT line, just unsure of #2 or #3, if #2 isn't enough i can always got for a second pass, right?

I think the XMT line is very good. It did excellently on our neglected 98 Plymouth Voyager. Start with the #2 and then use the #1. If you are not happy, you can always make a second pass or buy the #3. I have not tried the #3 myself yet, but I have it on order.
Also, the pc is easy to work with. Did you order pads?
Hope this helps. :)
Lauren

Sevenrd
11-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I've used Sonus polishes, and have only been impressed with their finish polishes, not their cutting polishes. I haven't tried the XMT line, but have heard good feedback from people who've used them. I'd give the XMT line a shot.

In my experience, I'd go for the two stronger polishes and omit the finish polish.

When starting out, I think it's more important to focus on actually removing the swirls/micromarring. You should be able to finish the surface with a medium polish and a white pad and acheive a very good surface ready for a sealant/wax. The finer polishes will reward you only once the major defects are removed.

supercharged
11-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Pinnacle XMT or Poorboy's SSR. Some of the best products out there.

Flyboy
11-26-2006, 11:43 PM
so stick with XMT #2 and #1, then finish it up with Deep crystal Polish or the XMT Caranuba glaze?

Sevenrd
11-26-2006, 11:47 PM
so stick with XMT #2 and #1, then finish it up with Deep crystal Polish or the XMT Caranuba glaze?

If it were me, I'd go with XMT 2 & 3. You should have no problems finishing with XMT 2 and a white pad. XMT 3 will give you that additional bite that you may need.

Flyboy
11-26-2006, 11:51 PM
already placed the order, the specials on the website say they end today, so i only ordered #2 and #1. i guess for right now i want to minimize the scratches before winter and if i need to do it again in the spring i will. i need to get to sleep like 1 hour ago for work so i had to decide, but keep the comments coming, i have a lot to learn i think!

btw: i did order 2 of each type of pad(orange, white, gray, blue)

Surfer
11-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Even on autopia I have yet to see (at least recently) any body doing a review or on their "click and brag" mention using Sonus swirl removers (or much of any sonus products really).I used to think that as well lol, always thought it was funny that nobody really talked about Sonus over there. That would be like everyone on AG talking about everything but AG's own lines, Pinnacle/DP/WG etc. Kinda weird?

ScottB
11-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Xmt, Poorboys SSR's, and Optimum are all very good lines that should equal or better your other choices.

wytstang
11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
I used to think that as well lol, always thought it was funny that nobody really talked about Sonus over there. That would be like everyone on AG talking about everything but AG's own lines, Pinnacle/DP/WG etc. Kinda weird?
Well it's the same here really when was the last time sombody reviewed the Pinnacle swirl removers (non XMT line) or Wolfgang or DP I haven't seen any talk about their swirl removers? :confused: there sealants and waxes get plenty of play but not their swirl removers. You're right it is weird

wytstang
11-27-2006, 10:28 AM
I've used Sonus polishes, and have only been impressed with their finish polishes, not their cutting polishes. Thank you for the feedback and it's good to know...