PDA

View Full Version : Paint cleaner in a pinch

M+O
10-07-2010, 06:07 AM
I want to perform my pre winter detail this weekend (weather is fantastic here). I am going to:

Wash
Clay
Seal (Wolfgang)
Cure
Top with 845

However, I don't have a "dedicated" paint cleaner to follow up after clay'ng (didn't get my AG order in on time). Is this a problem and or will the claying prepare the paint well enough to seal?

I would prefer not to use the "Dawn" method of removing existing "stuff".

I am not after paint correction and the only products sold at local stores are Megs swirlX, UC, scratchX etc.. Would these be a something to use? Thoughts?

trhland
10-07-2010, 06:10 AM
i would buy optimum poli seal .itcleans polishes and protects in one step .and looks great!!!!!

pfix
10-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Megs Swirl and Scratch X products are considered paint cleaners and will remove old wax and surface contaminants with the Scratch X having the stronger abrasive properties of the two products.You can also use the Dura Gloss 101 product. You can usually find Dura Gloss products at Car Quest and NAPA stores.The price is a little higher than AG but it will get you through in a pinch.

I will be doing the same thing this weekend and I left the paint cleanser off of my last order by mistake. I picked up a bottle of DG 101 and a bottle of DG 601 Polish Bonding Agent that I will top with Poor Boys EX-P and Natty's Red.

Mike Phillips
10-07-2010, 06:45 AM
I am not after paint correction and the only products sold at local stores are Megs swirlX, UC, scratchX etc..

Would these be a something to use? Thoughts?

The ScratchX is a paint cleaner and the SwirlX is a Cleaner/Polish but they both pretty much can do the same thing.

I recently wrote an article that touches upon this topic in that you can control how aggressive or non-aggressive most products are by simply adjusting your application material and application process.

By this I mean the if you take a paint cleaner that has the ability to abrade the paint and actually remove scratches BUT you apply it gently with a soft, clean foam applicator pad, you can use it for a light paint cleaner.

So the answer is "yes", you can use either the SwirlX or the ScratchX for a light paint cleaner after claying to perfectly prep your paint for application of your LSP.

If it were me I would go for the SwirlX as you get 16 ounces of product versus the tube product and the traditional 16 ounce bottle is more effective than the tube packaging.

Factors that affect how aggressive or non-aggressive a product is... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/28458-factors-affect-how-aggressive-non-aggressive-product.html)

:)

CLipster
10-07-2010, 07:50 AM
could megs ultimate compound also be used in this step?

I kind of have the same idea for my 2006 tahoe that has been neglected just a bit, but for the new 2010 malibu which does not look to have defects, just washing, claying, sealing(power lock), and 845.

does that sound about right?

Mike Phillips
10-07-2010, 08:51 AM
could megs ultimate compound also be used in this step?

I kind of have the same idea for my 2006 tahoe that has been neglected just a bit, but for the new 2010 malibu which does not look to have defects, just washing, claying, sealing(power lock), and 845.

does that sound about right?

Sure, just apply lightly and gently and wipe off immediately and you'll be ready for applying your LSP

:xyxthumbs:

CLipster
10-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Just apply with the yellow applicator pad?

ZimRandy
10-07-2010, 09:26 AM
I want to perform my pre winter detail this weekend (weather is fantastic here). I am going to:

Wash
Clay
Seal (Wolfgang)
Cure
Top with 845

However, I don't have a "dedicated" paint cleaner to follow up after clay'ng (didn't get my AG order in on time). Is this a problem and or will the claying prepare the paint well enough to seal?

I am not after paint correction and the only products sold at local stores are Megs swirlX, UC, scratchX etc.. Would these be a something to use? Thoughts?

You can get Zaino Z-AIO (All In One) from the dealer in North St. Paul if you want. If you were closer, I'd give you some of mine or some of the Meg's deep crystal cleaner (I have several bottles of this that I probably won't use). Heck, I have a ton of 'cleaner wax' stuff that I don't use anymore.

I was planning on detailing this weekend to get the rides ready for winter, too. :xyxthumbs: The wife's truck has 845 on it already, and I will probably put some Z2 on my car for the winter.

Sunday was supposed to be a little detail "show and tell" for some friends, but that idea fizzled :( , so I will probably just work on getting my stuff cleaned up. It looks like great weather this weekend!Im the MAN

Randy

Mike Phillips
10-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Just apply with the yellow applicator pad?

Yes. Any clean, soft foam applicator pad or even a great quality microfiber applicator pad will both be gentle to your car's finish.

Ultimate Compound is kind of overkill for "light" cleaning but with gentle application can work.

Do a test spot first and make sure you're getting a clear, clean surface after wipe-off.

CLipster
10-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes. Any clean, soft foam applicator pad or even a great quality microfiber applicator pad will both be gentle to your car's finish.

Ultimate Compound is kind of overkill for "light" cleaning but with gentle application can work.

Do a test spot first and make sure you're getting a clear, clean surface after wipe-off.

sounds great, thanks a much.

M+O
10-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks all for the input. I guess I should have clarified better – I currently don’t have any paint cleaner products and I need something for tomorrow. I have everything else.

So, I’m relying only what I can obtain “over the counter” => Autozone, O'reilly et al.
These stores don't seem to have dedicated paint cleaners (at least I can’t find them). They do carry Megs UC, scratch and swirl X, 3M products…. I have no problem using these if it’s OK for this application. I just wasn’t sure which one to use as I am not looking for paint correction just wanted to prep the surface for sealant phase:)

M+O
10-07-2010, 11:55 AM
The ScratchX is a paint cleaner and the SwirlX is a Cleaner/Polish but they both pretty much can do the same thing.

I recently wrote an article that touches upon this topic in that you can control how aggressive or non-aggressive most products are by simply adjusting your application material and application process.

By this I mean the if you take a paint cleaner that has the ability to abrade the paint and actually remove scratches BUT you apply it gently with a soft, clean foam applicator pad, you can use it for a light paint cleaner.

So the answer is "yes", you can use either the SwirlX or the ScratchX for a light paint cleaner after claying to perfectly prep your paint for application of your LSP.

If it were me I would go for the SwirlX as you get 16 ounces of product versus the tube product and the traditional 16 ounce bottle is more effective than the tube packaging.

Factors that affect how aggressive or non-aggressive a product is... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/28458-factors-affect-how-aggressive-non-aggressive-product.html)

Thanks Mike - good info, it helps!

M+O
10-07-2010, 12:05 PM
You can get Zaino Z-AIO (All In One) from the dealer in North St. Paul if you want. If you were closer, I'd give you some of mine or some of the Meg's deep crystal cleaner (I have several bottles of this that I probably won't use). Heck, I have a ton of 'cleaner wax' stuff that I don't use anymore.

I was planning on detailing this weekend to get the rides ready for winter, too. :xyxthumbs: The wife's truck has 845 on it already, and I will probably put some Z2 on my car for the winter.

Sunday was supposed to be a little detail "show and tell" for some friends, but that idea fizzled :( , so I will probably just work on getting my stuff cleaned up. It looks like great weather this weekend!Im the MAN

Randy

Hi Randy. Gotta love this weather, 80 tomorrow! Thanks for the offer - Zimmerman isn't too far, but yeah its a bit if a ride. I know people in Elk River, Dayton... :props:

I was hoping the deep crystal could be had at the local stores, but can't find any. I guess I'll do as Mike suggested with the Megs. I just don't need any correction and or abrasives per se, but a light application of the SwirlX looks to be my only option.

Good luck.:dblthumb2:

akimel
10-07-2010, 12:08 PM
For an OTC paint cleaner, you might want to try Surf City Garage's Beyond Clay. Advance Auto here in Roanoke has started to carry SCG products. I imagine this might be the case for Advance Auto stores in other parts of the country.

Camaro2010
10-07-2010, 02:26 PM

Wash
Clay
Seal (Wolfgang)
Cure
Top with 845

Was just up at my local Advance Auto parts store and they had some new Meguiars product which included M105/M205, some polishes and a med cut cleaner. Don't know if you have advanced auto local, or even near you. They also had some pads for a DA, which I was very surprised to see.