PDA

View Full Version : What is this and can it be removed with a DA?

Pages : [1] 2

Joe in PA
10-06-2010, 09:20 PM
The pics below are from an 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 190k miles on the paint. Far as I know it has never seen any paint maintenance other than frequent trips to an automatic car wash. The first pic is of some sort of flaw in the clearcoat taken after washing and the use of a clay bar. The 2nd pic is after going over the hood twice with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound using a LC flat orange pad on a PC at speed setting 6. The entire hood is also pock marked with small etchings in the clear coat, similar to what can be seen in the 3rd pic.

Any idea what it is I am dealing with and if I can realistically hope to correct it with the PC? Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p214/joe_hepp/01%20WJ%20Detail/100_5795.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p214/joe_hepp/01%20WJ%20Detail/100_5797.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p214/joe_hepp/01%20WJ%20Detail/100_5801.jpg

Rsurfer
10-06-2010, 09:27 PM
That's clear coat failure. A re-paint is in order.

DARK HORSE
10-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Uh oh that looks like clear coat failure. Only way to fix is to re-paint, it'll only get worse from here...

Rob T
10-06-2010, 09:32 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20101007-g7539ynjsdbg33369y48wcq1fe.jpg

If you are referring to this, it looks like a possible bird bomb. A big one! ;)

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Any idea what it is I am dealing with and if I can realistically hope to correct it with the PC? Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

That's clear coat failure. A re-paint is in order.

Wow, that's a harsh assessment! I'd say that what you are seeing are the remnants of, variously, bird poop-, water spot-, tree sap-, and whatever else-etching that just happens to most cars that aren't cared for in a Geek-ian fashion their whole lives (and maybe some that are).

The best you can do is give the car a good polishing. Some will come out. Some will be minimized. Some will be too deep and will be there. Just the way it is. You can't expect a decade-old vehicle that hasn't been meticulously cared for to be perfect.

Man, some of you guys are way over-reacting...localized etches like that can stay the same for many years...that's nonsense IMO to suggest a repaint.

Joe in PA
10-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Well a repaint is definitely out of the question but I can certainly live with the idea of doing the best I can with the UC and maybe M205 before applying some sealant. It is just an old beater intended for driving in the winter instead of the nice Jeeps, so I'll just do the best I can and live with the results.

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Well a repaint is definitely out of the question but I can certainly live with the idea of doing the best I can with the UC and maybe M205 before applying some sealant. It is just an old beater intended for driving in the winter instead of the nice Jeeps, so I'll just do the best I can and live with the results.

There ya go! Take some consolation in that probably no one else will notice them. The worst is those crazed etch areas that hold wax/polish residue and look white, but the puddle-shaped defects...you're the only one that will notice them. Yeah...repaint for a winter beater with 190K...LOL...

Rob T
10-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Wow, that's a harsh assessment! I'd say that what you are seeing are the remnants of, variously, bird poop-, water spot-, tree sap-, and whatever else-etching that just happens to most cars that aren't cared for in a Geek-ian fashion their whole lives (and maybe some that are).

The best you can do is give the car a good polishing. Some will come out. Some will be minimized. Some will be too deep and will be there. Just the way it is. You can't expect a decade-old vehicle that hasn't been meticulously cared for to be perfect.

Man, some of you guys are way over-reacting...localized etches like that can stay the same for many years...that's nonsense IMO to suggest a repaint.

I'm glad that you spoke up as I was really starting to second guess myself saying that one spot looked like a bird bomb when I saw everyone else start talking about clear coat failure (those posts were made while I was composing my message).

kimandbrad21
10-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Can you feel it with a gently touch of your fingernail? Meaning becareful not to pick at it, just see if you feel it... Try a IPA wipe down of the area, clay, then with a MF with a good cut M205 first to see if the least cut will buff it out or lessen the eye sore, if not maybe step it up with M105 or likewise, I would be a little worried myself to take a machine to it, but thats just me. If it is clearcoat failure thats the last step to the paint. it looks like etching. Do a trial and error with caution but do it in your comfort level. good luck and good question im stumped. can you get a closer picture and stable.

Rsurfer
10-06-2010, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Setec Astronomy;364790]Wow, that's a harsh assessment! I'd say that what you are seeing are the remnants of, variously, bird poop-, water spot-, tree sap-, and whatever else-etching that just happens to most cars that aren't cared for in a Geek-ian fashion their whole lives (and maybe some that are).

Man, some of you guys are way over-reacting...localized etches like that can stay the same for many years...that's nonsense IMO to suggest a repaint.[/QUOTE

Have you seen the paint in person? How can you be sure? I said it looked like cc failure, but your saying that's nonsense.

kimandbrad21
10-06-2010, 09:46 PM
wow if you can understand anything I said hats off to you. sorry its about time to hit the sack, been up sense 5 this morning after going to bed at 2 in the morning.

DARK HORSE
10-06-2010, 09:47 PM

It may have been initiated by bird poop-, water spot-, tree sap-, or whatever else-etching you want to call it, but it's now jeopardized the clear coat and become a failure. ;)

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm glad that you spoke up as I was really starting to second guess myself saying that one spot looked like a bird bomb when I saw everyone else start talking about clear coat failure (those posts were made while I was composing my message).

Shoot, when I traded in my 16-yo car it was covered in various spots like that--and I thought I took good care of it! That was before I was Geek-ified, I hope to do better now, but stuff happens.

Rob T
10-06-2010, 09:51 PM
A couple pics of clear coat failure:

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2600_8_30_06OG003.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/724/clearcoatfailurebeginning.jpg

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Have you seen the paint in person? How can you be sure? I said it looked like cc failure, but your saying that's nonsense.

I don't think you've seen the paint in person either, but you're righter than I am? Maybe you are, but I've had cars with both bird etchings and CC failure, and that looks like etching to me. To split hairs, yes, the etch is a localized type of CC failure, but IME those spots don't degrade the way large-scale CC failure does. I've polished surfaces with those kinds of etching with a burgundy pad and SSR3 and the paint didn't fall off the car, where as if you buff a panel that has CC failure it only looks worse, generally speaking.

At any rate, the OP is the one that is going to have to make the judgement.