PDA

View Full Version : Defelsko PosiTest DFT Combo Electronic Paint Thickness Gauge Question

Perfections
10-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I understand the importance of knowing the thickness of paint, but I want a tool that can measure the depth of clear coat. Without knowing the thickness of primer, base coat, will this tool still aid in properly being able to determine if you are about to buff through clear coat? I'm unable to find a tool that will just measure clear coat depth, anyone know of such a tool? Thanks for any insight!

Rsurfer
10-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I understand the importance of knowing the thickness of paint, but I want a tool that can measure the depth of clear coat. Without knowing the thickness of primer, base coat, will this tool still aid in properly being able to determine if you are about to buff through clear coat? I'm unable to find a tool that will just measure clear coat depth, anyone know of such a tool? Thanks for any insight!
If you are prepared to pay thousands for it. IMO the Defelsko is all you need.

mcpp66
10-06-2010, 08:52 PM
If such a tool exists it's probably a couple of thousand dollars.

Impressions
10-06-2010, 09:11 PM
another detailer told me about $2200.00

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2010, 09:25 PM
It's the DeFelsko model 200 which will read multiple layers of paint. The problem is, it is an ultrasonic rather than eddy-current device, so it will only work on non-metal substrates. In other words, only on bumpers or Corvettes. And yeah, it will run you close to $2K.

Perfections
10-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Bah :( Thanks for the info :) Don't want to spend that much, but was willing to spend around 1k if something was out there. I've always done what I felt was "safe correction" but in my 12 years of using a rotary I have gone through 2 clear coats, small quarter size spots which was really a bummer. Was just hoping once I opened my new shop in the upcoming months I could use a reliable tool so that wouldn't happen again!

Rsurfer
10-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Bah :( Thanks for the info :) Don't want to spend that much, but was willing to spend around 1k if something was out there. I've always done what I felt was "safe correction" but in my 12 years of using a rotary I have gone through 2 clear coats, small quarter size spots which was really a bummer. Was just hoping once I opened my new shop in the upcoming months I could use a reliable tool so that wouldn't happen again!Get a Highline II for around 220 bucks.

Perfections
10-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Cool I'll have to check that one out among others I'm sure, just wish I could find one that will measure just clear coat cheaply :)