PDA

View Full Version : Stripping LSP

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jeff120
10-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I need to get ready for winter, so I need to get the liquid sov. off my paint, not much left anyway. I polished before putting on the LS, I really dont want to do that again to save some time. Would adding a few oz. of megs APC+ to my wash bucket take care of it? Any damage to the paint doing this?

dougaross
10-06-2010, 09:02 PM
wash with Dawn

Bert31
10-06-2010, 09:05 PM
I need to get ready for winter, so I need to get the liquid sov. off my paint, not much left anyway. I polished before putting on the LS, I really dont want to do that again to save some time. Would adding a few oz. of megs APC+ to my wash bucket take care of it? Any damage to the paint doing this?

I would spray the apc right of wet paint, let it dwell for for a few minutes and then wash the car as usual. A few ounces in the wash bucket probably wouldn't be strong enough.

This would be slower but a better option would probably be to use an ail or paint cleaner.

Rsurfer
10-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Why not use a paint cleaner?

Rob T
10-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I would spray the apc right of wet paint, let it dwell for for a few minutes and then wash the car as usual. A few ounces in the wash bucket probably wouldn't be strong enough.

This would be slower but a better option would probably be to use an ail or paint cleaner.

:iagree:

Some people have also used Spray 9, but I worry that it would be too strong even if diluted.

DetailedByPrecision
10-07-2010, 12:08 AM
i like to use p21s total auto wash diluted 4:1. let it sit 1 min without letting it dry then hose it off. keep doing it until you cant see it bead anymore.

CEE DOG
10-07-2010, 08:05 AM

:iagree:

Mike Phillips
10-07-2010, 08:18 AM
I polished before putting on the LSP, I really dont want to do that again to save some time.

Would adding a few oz. of megs APC+ to my wash bucket take care of it? Any damage to the paint doing this?

Since wax wears off naturally, wear-n-tear since you applied the wax plush washing will have had a removing effect. As long as the paint feels smooth you should be good to go.

This is in my opinion the best way to remove a previously applied LSP because it's working forward in the process not backwards.

Jeff said he didn't want to re-polish the paint so a thorough, but careful wash should be ore than enough to prep the paint for his choice of LSP. Having any of the protection ingredients stay behind is just a testimony to their ability to lock-on to the paint and they will become part of the coating that's applied.

:)

Mike Phillips
10-07-2010, 08:22 AM

The topic of dewaxing and using APC or APC+ came up a couple of years ago on MOL and I checked with Jason Rose for the specific recommendations and here's what I posted (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/By the way, APC is recommended for de-waxing at 20:1 and I'm sure APC+ can be used the same way. Adding some to your wash water will also probably have some stripping ability.).

You can use either APC or APC+ to remove or strip car waxes and paint sealants from your car's paint.

64:1 For a regular car wax type products
20:1 For hi-tech polymer type products

Again, would like to point out that chemically striping a wax or paint sealant off your car's paint will tend to dull the paint while rubbing or machine cleaning with a light paint cleaner or a light cleaner/polish will remove the wax or paint sealant yet it will leave the paint clear and glossy.

Both approaches will work, one is walking or moving forward in the paint polishing process one is moving backwards in the paint polishing process.

All Purpose Cleaner

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/10082300_All_purpose_Green_.jpg

Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner is ideal for reconditioning interior surfaces. The superior foaming action gently lifts the dirt away while its unique blend of fabric softeners and optical brighteners enhance the look and feel of carpet, upholstery, vinyl and even leather.

D-10101 1 gallon
D-10105 5 gallon
D-10155 55 gallon

Medium Duty Degreasing 10:1
Heavy Duty Degreasing 4:1

All Purpose Cleaner Plus
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2260_AllPurposeCleanerPlus.jpg

Meguiar’s® All Purpose Cleaner Plus is a true all surface cleaner ideally suited for today’s fast paced, high volume, detail operations where one simple solution is needed for a wide variety of cleaning needs. It provides mixtures for heavy cleaning of engines and tires, fast interior cleaning, as well as a low foam ratio for use in carpet and upholstery extraction machines. Leaves carpet clean, smelling pleasant, and the fibers soft with no sticky residue. Safe for clear plastic, glass and leather.

Sizes Available
D10301 All Purpose Cleaner Plus 1-Gallon
D10305 All Purpose Cleaner Plus 5-Gallon
D10355 All Purpose Cleaner Plus 55-Gallon

Bert31
10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
The topic of dewaxing and using APC or APC+ came up a couple of years ago on MOL and I checked with Jason Rose for the specific recommendations and here's what I posted (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/By the way, APC is recommended for de-waxing at 20:1 and I'm sure APC+ can be used the same way.Adding some to your wash water will also probably have some stripping ability.).

Wow, I never would have guessed that a 64:1 ratio (basically two ounces per gallon correct?) would be strong enough to remove wax. 20:1 for sealants seems reasonable.

I will often do both (use APC to clean the paint and a paint cleaner/AIO follow up).

My most recent process was to make up a batch of a strong citrus wash rinse, thoroughly rinse the car off and spray a rinsed area with 10:1 APC and wash that area. After that wash that stripped off most (or all) of the LSP, I would make up a fresh batch of the citrus wash and use that as the lube for claying. It just seems to me claying is much more thorough on a bare surface than one with and LSP. I have no proof of this, it just seems reasonable to me.

After claying I will rinse the car off, dry it and then apply the AIO/Paint Cleaner. My most recent time I applied Ultima Paint Prep Plus and then followed with Ultima Paint Guard Plus.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Chemical Guys citrus wash and gloss. Dilute if to 1 oz. per 1 gallon. At this dilution, it's meant to strip LSP's.

ScottZ
10-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I picked up some CG Wash & Gloss just for this reason...

Kurt_s
10-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Chemical Guys citrus wash and gloss. Dilute if to 1 oz. per 1 gallon. At this dilution, it's meant to strip LSP's.
The Wash and Gloss seems to do a nice job of removing wax, dirt and grime. It should also remove many/most sealants at that concentration.

A paint cleaner would be the best option if you really want to prepare the surface for a new LSP.:xyxthumbs:

Rob T
10-07-2010, 07:46 PM

I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and it works as advertised. Weird looking stuff in the bottle until you shake it! :eek:

pfix
10-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I bought the Wash and Clear. I wanted a wash that left nothing behind when getting ready for my LSP's