PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Wheels

CLipster
10-06-2010, 04:44 PM
My question is how do I tell if I have coated or anodized aluminum wheels?

I have picked up Mother's Powermetel for the wheels on my 2010 chevy malibu. Is this safe to use? If not, is there a better alternative?

thanks

longdx
10-06-2010, 05:22 PM
In general, GM alloy wheels are clearcoated. To tell, you can use some metal polish on a white rag on a clean wheel and wipe. If it comes back black, then is not clearcoated.

Dr Oldz
10-06-2010, 05:38 PM
They are clear coated! Power metal is not safe for coated or anodized metals anyway! Stick with soap and water and wheel wax or dp wheel glaze and you'll be set!

ScottB
10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
General Motors OEM wheels are clearcoated, often called high polished or machined aluminum.

forrest@mothers
10-07-2010, 07:28 AM
For a clear coated wheel, we suggest using a plastic polish.

CEE DOG
10-07-2010, 07:42 AM
For a clear coated wheel, we suggest using a plastic polish.

Why a plastic polish instead of the same polish you would use on the clearcoat of your car?

forrest@mothers
10-07-2010, 07:44 AM
The clear coat on a wheel is a plasticized urethane, thicker (and softer) than that found on body paint.

We've found a plastic polish works better.

CEE DOG
10-07-2010, 07:50 AM
The clear coat on a wheel is a plasticized urethane, thicker (and softer) than that found on body paint.

Thanks for the quick response! Thats interseting info I didn't know. The reason I ask is I've been trying to polish my wheels. I tried with the mothers powercone and some M105, Tried again with M205, Tried again with WG TSR. I gave up on the powercone (too soft) and tried M105 by hand with a mf glove. I can't seem to put a dent in the little scratches. I only see them in the sunlight but I really want my wheels to look as good as the rest of my car. My next step was to try to get my Flex in there with the edge adapter and 4" pads but I just know it's not going to fit right. If these polishes weren't touching it it's hard to believe the plastic polish will. Hey, at this point I'm open to anything. I've got some novum plastic polish I used on my radio console face. Thoughts?

CLipster
10-07-2010, 07:53 AM

so what are some good plastic polishes?

Mike Phillips
10-07-2010, 07:56 AM

I was told the clear paint used on wheels was different than the paint used on car panels. But I was told it was harder, not softer?

Paint technology is always changing...

:)

ScottB
10-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I often hear its thicker and harder too ... but I am going to try plastic polish as it sounds good and Forrest has always been another great reference.

artofdetailing
10-07-2010, 07:08 PM

I would think since the wheels see the most dirt and grime on the car that the clear coat would be harder than the body.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
so what are some good plastic polishes?
Plexus.