PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning pads on the fly

veeko
10-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Is it still a good idea to clean pads on the fly using a terry cloth even when using Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner to stop the pad from getting caked or gummed up?

Can this product take the place of a terry cloth if used correctly?

Mike Phillips
10-06-2010, 01:52 PM
You know, Yancy and I shot a video on "How to clean you pad on the fly" but it hasn't made it through the editing list priority.

I'll see if we can't get it into the queue...

When cleaning your pad on the fly you're using the "dry" nap of at the terry cloth to slice into and pull off the built-up residue.

Getting the pad wet with a cleaning agent would just make the cleaning process messy.

Liquid pad cleaners are for cleaning a pad using other techniques than the cleaning your pad on the fly technique when using a dry terry cloth towel.

It would be easier to show you this the way we demonstrate in our classes.

:)

veeko
10-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I wasn't referring the Pinnacle Pad Cleansing product, I was referring to the Pinnacle Pad Conditioning product.

The reason I asked is because the product advertisement states the following;

Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner also comes in handy while you’re polishing. When the pad is saturated with polish or wax but it seems to be drying out, mist the pad with the conditioner. Just one spray will reactivate the polish that is starting to dry inside the pad. Keeping the product moist within the pad also makes clean-up easier.

Most importantly, Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner does not interfere with the performance of any polish or wax. There are no “active ingredients” in this VOC compliant conditioner. It will not react with any solvents or chemical cleaners found in any polish, and it will not dilute products if used as directed. Just like any lubricant, XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner will gradually diminish as you polish.

My thinking behind this is conditioning the pad in between panels would stop the pad from getting saturated or gumming up.

?

C. Charles Hahn
10-06-2010, 04:05 PM
My thinking behind this is conditioning the pad in between panels would stop the pad from getting saturated or gumming up.

?

The conditioner mainly helps to prevent you from dry buffing, but it doesn't prevent the pad from getting loaded with product and/or dead paint.

You still have to remove the dead paint in order to prevent the polishing ability of the pad becoming ineffective and/or to keep the loaded pad from causing marring of the finish you're working on. That's where using a mechanical process like a dry terry towel as Mike mentioned, or a foam pad conditioning brush (even a dry tooth or denture brush will work for this purpose) comes in.

Personally, I use both methods. The brush works great when using a rotary, or with a DA just put a terry towel on your leg (the front of the thigh is usually a good spot), and hold the polisher against the towel while turning it on and letting it run at low speed for a few seconds.

veeko
10-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the explaination!

Mike Phillips
10-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Here's the picture I was referring too...

Instead of a steel wheel spur you can use a nylon brush or a terry cloth towel held the right way...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/936/medium/Sept19ADVClass097.jpg

:)

veeko
10-06-2010, 06:01 PM
very helpful! that definitely gives me a good idea of the technique. thumbs up to you sir

Dubbin1
10-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Somewhere on the forum is a video of cleaning a pad on the fly. I just can't remember who did it.

Dubbin1
10-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Here you go http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/24213-fly-pad-cleaning-3.html