PDA

View Full Version : Optimum tire shine?

Pages : [1] 2

Silv03
10-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Quick question? Is optimum tire shine watery or a thick liquid? Also I did order it by the gallon along with power clean and protectant plus and these two were sealed with that foil, but not the tire shine is that how all the gallons of tire shine are shipped?

Thanks,
Daniel

builthatch
10-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Quick question? Is optimum tire shine watery or a thick liquid? Also I did order it by the gallon along with power clean and protectant plus and these two were sealed with that foil, but not the tire shine is that how all the gallons of tire shine are shipped?

Thanks,
Daniel

the tire shine is phenominal. yes, it is relatively thin. don't let it fool you though, the stuff is very robust.

when you say "that foil", what do you mean?

Silv03
10-05-2010, 11:50 PM
The foil seal under the cap.

builthatch
10-05-2010, 11:54 PM

my gallons of powerclean have had foil, and the lone gallon of tire shine i have here has no evidence of foil under the cap. i just looked. and every gallon of anything i've received from autogeek has the PBMA white sticker across the lid.

ScottB
10-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Optimum is rather thin and water based and matte in look. They also offer Optibond which is a thicker lotion design and a bit of gloss. Both are nice products.

trhland
10-06-2010, 08:23 PM
i use the origanal tire shine. 2 coats on my tires and im set. :xyxthumbs:

Rsurfer
10-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Did it leak? If not, does it really matter?

Rob T
10-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Optimum is rather thin and water based and matte in look. They also offer Optibond which is a thicker lotion design and a bit of gloss. Both are nice products.

So the tire shine is even less glossy than Opti-Bond? I didn't like the latter because it wasn't dark and glossy enough for me.

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2010, 10:33 PM
IME Opti-Bond is way glossier than my first-gen Tire Shine.

builthatch
10-06-2010, 10:56 PM
IME Opti-Bond is way glossier than my first-gen Tire Shine.

i agree with this. tire shine makes it look like a clean brand new tire. opti-bond seems to take it a step closer to the shiny goo realm. it's not uber glossy, but it's certainly shinier than tire shine, as odd as that sounds if you consider the name, lol.

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2010, 10:58 PM
I've only used the Opti-Bond once or twice so far, but what really struck me about it is how non-greasy/oily it is, both on the tire but even when you get it on your hands.

builthatch
10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
I've only used the Opti-Bond once or twice so far, but what really struck me about it is how non-greasy/oily it is, both on the tire but even when you get it on your hands.

yes. it's weird because it LOOKS like it would be. i agree (again).

zliegen
10-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Never thought I'd write this much about tire dressings, and sorry to keep de-railing the thread but the OP's questions have already been answered, so here goes. I picked, and am sticking with Opti-bond simply BECAUSE I like the Dark-Matte-Black-New Rubber-Not-Greasy/Glossy-Rubber-Look. I don't like the greasy shiny tire look at all and prefer a more natural dark rubber look, and prefer the application of a gel. Opti-bond gave me what I was looking for and it has better durability than any of the other water-based tire dressings I've used. Theres been different results for different people on the forum with Opti-bond and tire shine, and I can't quite figure out if its just application process varying between people or if its peoples perception of how things look. Theres been quite a few review threads with photos, and those based with my experience, I think that Opti-bond and tire shine look the same, and think that both are non-shiny/greasy with a dark natural new rubber look. :confused:

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah, well, you know, tire dressings are funny...so much depends on the brand, model, age, prep...and as I tried to note above, I have the original version of the Tire Shine which I'm comparing to the current Opti-Bond which I've only used on one set of tires.

zliegen
10-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah, well, you know, tire dressings are funny...so much depends on the brand, model, age, prep...and as I tried to note above, I have the original version of the Tire Shine which I'm comparing to the current Opti-Bond which I've only used on one set of tires.

That's true, I didn't really take into consideration the different compounds of rubber and porosity of the different tires. Good thinkin! :dblthumb2: I have noticed the application process being different occasionally on some tires, I'll have to buff more for instance to have even coverage, and that can make it more or less glossy.