11-26-2006, 06:26 PM
is broken down completely??
I am not sure I know the answer!!
Guys?
Thank you!!
Lauren:awesome:

Truls
11-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I was learnd that when its kinda oily/transparant its broken down (goes for Megs MG series)

ltoman
11-26-2006, 06:38 PM
I was learnd that when its kinda oily/transparant its broken down (goes for Megs MG series)
So when it looks hazy?

ScottB
11-26-2006, 06:40 PM
So when it looks hazy?

Exactly, it will flash from a liquid paste to an almost talc look.

ltoman
11-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Exactly, it will flash from a liquid paste to an almost talc look.

Gotcha - thanks. The more I learn, the more questions I have!
Lauren:awesome:

Truls
11-26-2006, 07:00 PM
"hazy"; that word in Norwegian means "foggy", and I mean clear. Hee hee

When i use my DA, i run it slowly over the area i am polishing, If you do this slow enough, you wil see that its kinda clear behind it. thats when the polish/compound is broken down, you will still see that its something on the paint, but that is a transparant film and like oil, and is easy to remove with MF

If it starts to dust, you have polished it to long and it has went dry. If you go over the area 2 times, moving slowly, you are usually finished.

Rub of, inspect area and if not good enough, have another go.

As said, I use megs MG series, and dont know if this goes for every polish out there

Correct me if im wrong anyone.

ltoman
11-26-2006, 07:04 PM
"hazy"; that word in Norwegian means "foggy", and I mean clear. Hee hee

When i use my DA, i run it slowly over the area i am polishing, If you do this slow enough, you wil see that its kinda clear behind it. thats when the polish/compound is broken down, you will still see that its something on the paint, but that is a transparant film and like oil, and is easy to remove with MF

If it starts to dust, you have polished it to long and it has went dry. If you go over the area 2 times, moving slowly, you are usually finished.

Rub of, inspect area and if not good enough, have another go.

As said, I use megs MG series, and dont know if this goes for every polish out there

Correct me if im wrong anyone.

Gee, don't all the polishes become dusty though? That automatically means you have worked on the area too long? I am attempting to determine when to move on, to avoid micromarring from either not breaking polish down or from polishing dry.
Lauren

Truls
11-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Gee, don't all the polishes become dusty though? That automatically means you have worked on the area too long? I am attempting to determine when to move on, to avoid micromarring from either not breaking polish down or from polishing dry.
Lauren

What kind of compound are u using? and micromarring is like small swirls?

ltoman
11-26-2006, 07:38 PM
What kind of compound are u using? and micromarring is like small swirls?
I am using Pinacle xmt line, but I am about to switch to OHC , and want to beforewarned so as not to screw it up!!
Lauren:p

Truls
11-26-2006, 07:54 PM
I am using Pinacle xmt line, but I am about to switch to OHC , and want to beforewarned so as not to screw it up!!
Lauren:p

If your not 100% certain about this compound, i would try it out on something else than a vette. try to get yourself a door or a hood to try it on first.

You will get micromarring with heavy compounds, but thats why a detail usualy is more than one step, You use the heavy stuff first, then move over to a less agressiv compound/pad and the Micromarring is getting smaler and smaler each time. at the end its supose to be gone:p

eks: MG #85 (heavy) + MG #82 (medio) + MG #21 (light)

MG # 85 leaves a "harsh" surface, then you correct this with the #82 who leaves a smother surface and finish with the #21

Like the XMT 3, 2, 1 series (witch i just bought and you just rejected:confused: ) No good?

ltoman
11-26-2006, 08:05 PM
If your not 100% certain about this compound, i would try it out on something else than a vette. try to get yourself a door or a hood to try it on first.

You will get micromarring with heavy compounds, but thats why a detail usualy is more than one step, You use the heavy stuff first, then move over to a less agressiv compound/pad and the Micromarring is getting smaler and smaler each time. at the end its supose to be gone:p

eks: MG #85 (heavy) + MG #82 (medio) + MG #21 (light)

MG # 85 leaves a "harsh" surface, then you correct this with the #82 who leaves a smother surface and finish with the #21

Like the XMT 3, 2, 1 series (witch i just bought and you just rejected:confused: ) No good?

No, XMT is excellent.;)
We currently have 5 vehicles; I tested it out on our green van, the oldest (1998) and most neglected. No wax, ever, I think... anyhow, the van's improvement was phenomenal! All I had left were the scratches that went through the clear, you know, the ones you can feel with your nails. It was most rewarding.
Now my new vette - it helped, but it was minimal. Others on the forum have advised me to step up to the Optimum line. they seemed to aree that the clear on the vettes was as one put it "bulletproof", and I must agree. I should post photos. After many exercises in futility, it only looks a small bit better....:mad:
But no, I think XMT is VERY good. :applause: Did you get yours yet?
Lauren:)

Truls
11-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Not got it yet, in a week or so i think (long way to travle) yes i have read that the clearcoat on a vette is a hard nail to detail, i found a detailing post another place where a guy (mike) did a vette that was a mess, dont know if i can link to the site her, you know if i can?

ltoman
11-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Not got it yet, in a week or so i think (long way to travle) yes i have read that the clearcoat on a vette is a hard nail to detail, i found a detailing post another place where a guy (mike) did a vette that was a mess, dont know if i can link to the site her, you know if i can?
Send me it in a pm!!:)

Truls
11-26-2006, 08:28 PM
ok, sent it

cwcad
11-26-2006, 08:44 PM
check out this website. http://www.melncal.com/detailing/ It is from forum member BLKYukon. This will give you a definitive look at what it is supposed to look like.