PDA

View Full Version : Damaged my z06....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I was driving down an unfamiliar side street and it was very wide with no traffic. I decided I wanted to "get on it" for a bit. So, I was going fairly fast and didn't see the dip ahead. I had no time to slow down, and my front bumper took a pretty massive blow from underneath. MY HEART SANK!!!!!!!! From the sound of the large boom, I knew there would be damage. I ended up snapping the lower metal rdiator support and also from the force of the blow, the paint flexed, and I ended up with a few spots of "spider webbing" on the lower part of the front bumper. Ahhhhhhh, damn!!!! :( Anyhow, no one would notice it unless I pointed it out. I'm VERY ANAL about keeping all factory paint on the car. Besides, it's very hard to match silver, especially when your painting a plastic bumper with Flex agent. I, along with the body shop guy manager decided that it's not worth it to re-paint the whole bumper, when 90% of it is just fine. All in all, I'm pretty bummed, but I'm glad the damage wasn't THAT bad.

rwright
10-04-2010, 10:01 PM
:nomore:

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2010, 10:03 PM
:nomore:
:iagree:

Dubbin1
10-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Sorry to hear that Mark. I know it would make me sick too.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry to hear that Mark. I know it would make me sick too.
It really does. My stupidity. Oh well, what's done is done. I guess it could have been a lot worse. :dunno: What's good, if anything, is that damage doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Rsurfer
10-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Serves you right for speeding on an unfamiliar road. J/J Mark, now you will be looking at that spider webbing all the time.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Serves you right for speeding on an unfamiliar road. J/J Mark, now you will be looking at that spider webbing all the time.
I know. :(

I know of a very good painter(not the GM shop that's fixing the radiator support) who said he might be able to spot paint the areas of spider webbing without painting the rest of the bumper and not have to blend into other panels. He'd have to re-clear the whole bumper, but that's no big deal. If that's the case, I'm going to do it. He'll have to see the damage first to see if it's possible to just spot paint and not re-paint the whole bumper.

Rsurfer
10-04-2010, 10:33 PM
I know. :(

I know of a very good painter(not the GM shop that's fixing the radiator support) who said he might be able to spot paint the areas of spider webbing without painting the rest of the bumper and not have to blend into other panels. He'd have to re-clear the whole bumper, but that's no big deal. If that's the case, I'm going to do it. He'll have to see the damage first to see if it's possible to just spot paint and not re-paint the whole bumper.
You and I know that if he can't spot paint you will have him respray the whole bumper as anal as we are.:props:

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2010, 10:34 PM
You and I know that if he can't spot paint you will have him respray the whole bumper as anal as we are.:props:
I'm just worried that with metallic silver, it's very hard to match.

Dubbin1
10-04-2010, 10:37 PM
This should get the job done :D

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/663867_front200.jpg

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2010, 10:38 PM
This should get the job done :D

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/663867_front200.jpg
No doubt about it! Im the MAN

builthatch
10-04-2010, 10:38 PM
at the factory, do they paint the bumpers together with the panels on that car? i can't remember from the 9,000 times i saw ultimate factories featuring it, haha. i ask because most cars nowadays have the covers painted separately at the factory, hence the slight tint variations you see on almost everybody's F+R bumper covers vs. the rest of their finish. this seems to be especially true with metallics and pearls.

as for a refinish of the cover, i could never see them blending into the rest of the car for a bumper cover, especially with the paint matching technology they have now.

i'm not saying your situation is the same, but recently i encountered a car for sale that was somewhat limited when new and was represented as being in mint condition. the car did have a major scratch on one panel and the owner told me he didn't want to ever get it repaired because he wanted all original paint...but with a scratch. that didn't make sense to me because the value of the car will not be more because it has all original paint with that deep scratch present. so it's either have the scratch and have original paint or have it look perfect with some paint work. to each his own i guess.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
do they paint the bumpers together with the panels on that car? i ask because most cars nowadays have the covers painted seperately at the factory, hence the slight tint variations you see on almost everybody's F+R bumper covers vs. the rest of their finish. this seems to be especially true with metallics and pearls.

i could never see them blending into the rest of the car for a bumper cover, especially with the paint matching technology they have now.
No, they are painted separate from the car. You're right, from the factory, there is a slight difference in color in different lighting situations.

Shane731
10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
That's what you get for pretending you're one of the Duke boys driving the General Lee. :nomore:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/General_lee.jpg

Dubbin1
10-04-2010, 10:45 PM
at the factory, do they paint the bumpers together with the panels on that car? i can't remember from the 9,000 times i saw ultimate factories featuring it, haha. i ask because most cars nowadays have the covers painted separately at the factory, hence the slight tint variations you see on almost everybody's F+R bumper covers vs. the rest of their finish. this seems to be especially true with metallics and pearls.

as for a refinish of the cover, i could never see them blending into the rest of the car for a bumper cover, especially with the paint matching technology they have now.

i'm not saying your situation is the same, but recently i encountered a car for sale that was somewhat limited when new and was represented as being in mint condition. the car did have a major scratch on one panel and the owner told me he didn't want to ever get it repaired because he wanted all original paint...but with a scratch. that didn't make sense to me because the value of the car will not be more because it has all original paint with that deep scratch present. so it's either have the scratch and have original paint or have it look perfect with some paint work. to each his own i guess.

Actually its because of the different materials that the paint goes on. I went through this with one of my cars when I had it repainted, the plastic front and rear were a little different shade then the metal. It was the same paint from the same sprayer laid on by the same painter.